VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    a couple more years and i may be able to afford a replacement for my plasma.....
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  2. I am about 99% confident my next TV will be a HDR 4K OLED.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i'm there too. just waiting for oled to come down to led prices
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Great news! Now to wait for the other manufacturers to produce theirs and drive the prices down.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Cheaper!? I don't think so. I just got a 55" 4k 3D LED/LCD LG SmartTV (incl. HEVC playback & HDMI 2.0 & HDCP 2.2) last month for $1399. And enjoying every minute of it. Pretty sure it's got quantum dot color technology, too, so that closes the gap between LED/LCD and OLED quite a bit.

Scott
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 13th Oct 2015 at 22:28. Reason: typo
    Quote Quote  
  6. ^congrads! it'll be a while b4 i get my 4k oled tv. i am 99% certain i will be getting a 4k camcorder first.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    Chearper!? I don't think so. I just got a 55" 4k 3D LED/LCD LG SmartTV (incl. HEVC playback & HDMI 2.0 & HDCP 2.2) last month for $1399. And enjoying every minute of it. Pretty sure it's got quantum dot color technology, too, so that closes the gap between LED/LCD and OLED quite a bit.

Scott
    I guess I haven't been to the store lately!
    Quote Quote  
  8. Maybe it's a Chinese knockoff?
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence -Carl Sagan
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Nope. Did my homework for a few months on that one.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  10. Definitely a candidate to replace the 34" CRT - maybe next year.
    Quote Quote  
  11. About f*cking time. I've been waiting since 2007 for these and all that was ever released was that XEL one which was a low resolution.
    I wonder if they solved the problem of these deteriorating so fast compared to LCDs. I used to hate LCDs because of the numerous problems they had and couldn't wait for an OLED but LED LCDs have largely mitigated these problems that my interest has evaporated. An OLED would be cool to have but at this point I don't mind waiting another 8 years before I get one. I'm happy with my LCD.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    from OP's link
    .......While the 55-inch EF9500 debuted at $5,500 just six weeks ago, a $1,500 price cut and a $1,000 instant rebate means you can now take it home for a mere $3,000. ......

When did $3,000 become "mere" ???
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    me.. i would be happy to find a 32"~36" LED/LCD 3D TV
    everything i see advertised is too large to fit the available space
    we have a 32" Vizo LED/LCD now
    i've googled and searched, all i can find are large sets that won't fit, and cost $1599 or more
    the closest i have come is a 40" off brand that was a refurbish for $499
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    Cheaper!? I don't think so. I just got a 55" 4k 3D LED/LCD LG SmartTV (incl. HEVC playback & HDMI 2.0 & HDCP 2.2) last month for $1399. And enjoying every minute of it. Pretty sure it's got quantum dot color technology, too, so that closes the gap between LED/LCD and OLED quite a bit.

Scott
    Not sure how in US but in Europe seem there is lot of problems with 4k TV's/PC displays - we tested with Quantum Data 980B (HDMI 2.0 + 1.4 and HDCP 1.4 + 2.2) - some of 4k HDMI 2.0 displays don't support 4k 50/60fps or at all or there is limited support (lack of proper EDID) - this affecting plenty well recognized brands (Sony, Asus, Philips, Samsung etc).
    We didn't found except one Samsung model correctly working display - worse we searched for latest firmware and seem that this doesn't solve any issue (firmware or not fixing problems or not exist).
    Quote Quote  
  15. Some additional info for those that care:

http://www.wired.com/2016/01/what-is-hdr-tv/

Let me break this down for the technically minded.

1. A super-powered LCD (which will make you squint) must have a brightness range of at least 0.05-1,000 nits, or 20,000x range, to receive the UHD Alliance stamp.
    2. Similarly, an OLED (and I don't know the reason for the difference) must have a brightness range of at least 0.0005-540 nits, or 1,000,000x.

So when walking through a store in the future, just understand, that OLED with the UHD Alliance stamp has 50x more dynamic range than the LCD with the same stamp.

I haven't seen an OLED in real life, but I imagine the deepest black must look like you are staring into a black hole in your wall.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Formerly 'vaporeon800' Brad's Avatar
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by SameSelf View Post
    1. A super-powered LCD (which will make you squint) must have a brightness range of at least 0.05-1,000 nits, or 20,000x range, to receive the UHD Alliance stamp.
    2. Similarly, an OLED (and I don't know the reason for the difference) must have a brightness range of at least 0.0005-540 nits, or 1,000,000x.
    You can't really compare the numbers like that. For one thing, there's a threshold below which we can't perceive very-very-very black as blacker than very-very black regardless of the fact it can be measured. This varies depending on the amount of ambient light.

I found this; it's interesting reading but gets a bit too technical for me.

I haven't seen an OLED in real life, but I imagine the deepest black must look like you are staring into a black hole in your wall.
    Plenty of smartphones with OLED displays. Looking at my S5 in a lit room, the black part around the screen looks darker than the display itself even when it's turned off. Apparently this is because of the reflectivity of the display. In a very dark room, I can't see where the screen ends when it's turned on & displaying a black image.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Currently the main question is how much 4k content is available. Watching a 720p TV broadcast on a 4k? No, thanks. I think I'll pass on that one for the moment which in this case is like at least couple of years.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I get yesterday my new TV , LG 70º UF77 model UHD 4K.

My PS3/PS4 get awesome graphics using internal TV upscaler.

Netflix House of Cards is "full of win" at 4K.

Claudio
    Quote Quote  
  19. Yes OLED TV's look spectacular. I have a 24" 1080p OLED computer monitor and it looks jaw-dropping with some of my Blu-rays. Anybody know what would be a reasonable price for a 42"? I feel like that's all the bigger I would need as I am about 8' away from the TV. I'd probably be looking at a 1080 set too as it's good enough for me.

I feel like somewhere between $500-750 would be reasonable for what I want.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by Gregg View Post
    Currently the main question is how much 4k content is available. Watching a 720p TV broadcast on a 4k? No, thanks. I think I'll pass on that one for the moment which in this case is like at least couple of years.
    I know Netflix has quite a bit of 4K content available and, I forget where I read it, but 4K UHD Blu-rays are coming out soon. I wonder if when 4K UHD Blu-ray becomes more available, they'll quit making DVDs. It probably makes more sense they'll drop regular Blu-ray in place of the 4K ones.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hogger129 View Post
    Yes OLED TV's look spectacular. I have a 24" 1080p OLED computer monitor and it looks jaw-dropping with some of my Blu-rays. Anybody know what would be a reasonable price for a 42"? I feel like that's all the bigger I would need as I am about 8' away from the TV. I'd probably be looking at a 1080 set too as it's good enough for me.

I feel like somewhere between $500-750 would be reasonable for what I want.
    From what I have been reading it is likely that OLED will be available only with 55-inch and above premium 4K TVs for a few more years, maybe until 2020. I wouldn't try to predict what smaller OLED TVs will cost when OLED panels are inexpensive enough to produce that it is feasible to manufacture some.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 31st Jan 2016 at 00:14.
    Quote Quote  
  22. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Just curious why people are still calling lcd tvs as led when it's just led backlighting?I'll buy a oled tv when it gets to the right price such as below $600 and that will take a few years.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    Just curious why people are still calling lcd tvs as led when it's just led backlighting?I'll buy a oled tv when it gets to the right price such as below $600 and that will take a few years.

I believe the Samsung marketing guys bear a lot of the blame for that, If not the first, they were all in on touting the "new" LED TVs.
    Yeah, they're still LCDs, but maybe that's a lost cause? The incorrect terminology seems to be too well established.

The picture of LG's OLED is plainly superior, but I'm torn. Do I get rid of perfectly good 65" and 70" TVs, for a 65" OLED that costs several thousand bucks currently? And there are still a few kinks in those OLEDs to be worked out. You can read all about OLED vignetting, motion smoothness, Nits and HDR implementation, etc, at AVS. They're by no means perfect. There's room for improvement both in the sets themselves and even more so in price.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  24. No reason to be torn. My LCD/LED TV is only a couple of years old. I am not in a hurry to run out and replace it. But I figure when I am ready, the price for OLED will be right and at that point I will be making sourpuss faces at all the 4K content I am missing out on.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Have they fixed the screen burn in problems with OLED screens?
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence -Carl Sagan
    Quote Quote  
  26. "Problems" are only for the unwashed masses.
    Quote Quote