VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Im debating wether or not i should go the pc setup route with a high quality capture card, dvd burner and lots of hard drive space OR buy one of these dvd recorders.

Any suggestions?

ps. this is for my parents who own a small grocery/convenience shop. I am looking to capitalize on this boom of people wanting their home videos converted to dvd that dont have the means or knowledge to do so.

I am not a total newbie to this game, just to the capturing part.

Thanks for any help you guys give me.
    Quote Quote  
  2. The easiest way is the DVD recoder way, much faster also, but with the computer you can make the end result very cool looking, I do both I have 2 DVD Panasonic Recorders and a HP DVD200 DVD+R burner with a capture card and have done that also, believe I charge more for using the Burner what takes me 90 minutes on the DVD recorder for $30 for 1 DVD-R I charge at least twice that much on the Burner, but it looks more professional also. I got the DVD recorders 6 months ago and more than have paid for those got the burner 3 weeks ago and paid for it twice over.
    Its a very good time to get into recording or burning DVD's for family Memories, both ways I loose no quality, as long as I record in the 1 hour mode on the recorders and capture at 8000 bitrate on the capture card.

Pirce of the DVD recorders - $550 to $1000

Burners - $200 to $349
    Capture cards - $149 to $300

Plus all the programs to need to get
    80 gig hard drive $80- $100

Good Luck
    Quote Quote  
  3. yah true, it all depends on how much time u got... but nother the less remember that not all DVD players support DVD-R media...

my 2 cents.
    Quote Quote  
  4. thanks for the quick response.

i think im going to start off the pc route with a good quality capture card (probably the Canopus ADVC-100), an 80-100 gig hard drive, a good dvd-burner (still need to do some research on this).

ps. what programs do you use to edit and burn.

and what standalone dvd recorders did you buy?

when you convert using the standalone, do you add chapters in the dvd.

what difference is there on the final result between the standalone and pc burner?

Originally Posted by likwid8
    yah true, it all depends on how much time u got... but nother the less remember that not all DVD players support DVD-R media...

my 2 cents.
    is it that many dvd players out that dont play dvd-r that its not worth getting into?
    Quote Quote  
  5. well u just have to realize if its for you or for family and so on...

personal authoring demands ur taste. now for other u need to find other information abou them and their DVD player...

All dvd players have there ups and downs... you just gotta know how to get the right one, or better yet....satisfiy it, hehe
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I use TMPG for encoding, DVIO for capture, Pinnicle or Adobe for editing and DVDIT PE to burn. PE suits me because it allows Dolby Digital

sometimes I use senarist, but i get funny results.
    Quote Quote  
  7. ok another thing is i was thinking before i accept any orders i will just ask them the model number of their dvd player and check back with this site to see if it works.

ps. a lot of my moms friends are asking because they plan on buying a dvd player so i can just guide them towards one that plays everything.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM

I have both a DVD burnner and a panasonic E-30 DVD recorder. I also have a VideoCD recorder, Terapin.

For some things I prefer the Video CD route, but for easiest and best quality its the panasonic E-30 hands down.

I suggest using the 2 hour mode, still great quality, on my E-30. I have used the 6 hour mode for dubbing 6 hr VHS tapes.

Computer burnning might cost more that you might think. I wasted almost more on software that I ended up not liking than I spent for the DVD recorder. The E-30 can be found with links on here for under $500 + shipping. I bought mine from 6th ave using a link here.

I use my computer burnner mostly for making copies of DVDs made on the DVD recorder. Heck Even my ole 1x burnner can copy a DVD with 6 hours on it in ust under 1 hour.

JD
    JD tinkerer pushin' 60,

A real Life Enemy of the State, see Fed case #01-40080, Detroit.

Computers, Electronics, vintage Audio, Photography Film/digital/3D, N-Scale RR, ,

AKA the "Infamouse Joe Walker" ,Join the Navy & see (1/2) the world.
    Quote Quote  
  9. ok well if i go that route how does the quality compare to the pc conversion route?

also how much freedom do you have with the standalone recorder in terms of chapters, titles, editing and stuff like that?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM

I suggest you look up the Panasonic E-30 DVD recorder on here. The list of editing options are extensive. You do have to do your items in order. If you mess up one segmet you can delete it and re-record ig. One catch is you can not reclaim the used space, jsut removes it from the play/menu list.

If you want firewire port and hard disk look at teh Panasonic HS2. Almost teh same as the E-30 but with the HD and firewire. The E-30 also uses DVD-ram disk (type II)

JD

JD tinkerer pushin' 60,

A real Life Enemy of the State, see Fed case #01-40080, Detroit.

Computers, Electronics, vintage Audio, Photography Film/digital/3D, N-Scale RR, ,

AKA the "Infamouse Joe Walker" ,Join the Navy & see (1/2) the world.
    Quote Quote