VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. As i need to rip some subtitles from a dvd, i found that i could use subrip.

I've looked at several guides and I dont understand why that in their background preview window [the big window that highlights the character to be OCR'].....why they show up full words and sentances/lines. Even my small pop up ocr window only shows one letter!

When i have subrip open, all i can see are tne character/letter and not the whole line/word that i can see in the various guides.

examples of guides i've looked at -
    http://jmoney.byethost15.com/PARTS%202%20and%203/PART3.htm
    http://dvd2divx.verkkomaailma.com/english.html [click on subtitles at top]
    https://forum.videohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=267416

Is there a setting or something that i could enable this??? It would certainly help because i'm just randomly guessing the letters hoping they spell the word right [hard if the language is not english]

replies appreciated
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    How about you show us what YOUR screen looks like?
    Quote Quote  
  3. OK. I've done 3 screenshots. They're all like that - one letter/character. The guides showed full words and lines. All i want to do is to rip dvd subtitles into srt format.

thanks
    Quote Quote  
  4. IIRC it has something to do with the background (Display Options) / DVD Color Palette (transparency/color)
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You're seeing only the highlighted characters. There is an option somewhere in the program to select background colors (your subs must have a strange color pallete - the program usually picks the correct colors).

Even if you can't seem to get the colors to display properly, having the highlighted characters is enough. Just "train" the OCR and let it run. Once done, you can see the subs in a text editor.
    ICBM target coordinates:
    26° 14' 10.16"N -- 80° 16' 0.91"W
    Quote Quote  
  6. thanks for replies guys. I looked at subrip and i couldnt find a setting to change the green pallete. will have to just do it letter for letter.

One more question, if the outputted srt is wrongish, can i edit the srt file and correct it???
    Quote Quote  
  7. The root of all evil träskmannen's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, of course you can.

For language and / or spelling errors Notepad or any other simple text editor will do. Try Subtitle Workshop if you want to change more specific subtitle related things (timings etc).
    In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
    Quote Quote  
  8. ah cool. Thanks traskmannen
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    Is there any way to make as automatic it can be done the greek subtitles for that program?

Is there any ocr dictionary files i can download so it has as many as it can be the greek letter for as little as be done maunally enter every greek letter at any sup file.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Or perhaps try Subtitle Edit. It's strait forward to install greek dictionary and you'll need a greek tesseract file as discussed here:

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/355754-I-can-t-use-OCR-operation
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    I download that file and i uncompress it into the subtitle edit folder into this path "C:\Program Files (x86)\Subtitle edit\Tesseract\tessdata"

But even now it asked me a lot of letter to enter it manually.

So isn't there any more automatical way to convert greek subtitles into srt files?

Is there any that kind of ocr greek dictionary for suprip program?
    Last edited by fits79; 22nd Apr 2014 at 18:12.
    Quote Quote