VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi, I've been transferring VHS tapes to PC using A/V composite to Canopus 100 then 6pin firewire output into my older laptop with a 4pin firewire input and capturing using Windv.

I have a Canon zr90 minidv camcorder I want to transfer tapes from. It has a 4pin firewire port. Can I transfer directly from the camcorder to the PC (then capture with windv) using a 4pin to 4pin cable or will I have to use the Canopus? If I have to use the Canopus, would I also use 4pin to 4pin, then the same 6pin to 4pin cable to connect to the PC?

4pin to 4pin cables don't seem as readily available as 6pin to 4pin, so I want to make sure I'm thinking this correctly before buying one. Also, is it better to get a shorter cable or does length not matter as far as data/picture quality?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Yes you can use 4pin<-->4pin. The 2 extra pins supply power to devices, but if you are using a separate power supply anyway (you should), it won't matter. Treat them as identical performancewise and use whatever combo gets you connected.

Length under the max allowable won't matter much either.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    almost all dv cams have 4 pin ports. not sure what the problem is? 4pin to 6pin input on computers is the normal work flow.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    almost all dv cams have 4 pin ports. not sure what the problem is? 4pin to 6pin input on computers is the normal work flow.
    My laptop has 4 pin input so I just wanted to make sure that 4pin camera to 4pin laptop would work. The reply above says it should, hopefully bypassing the need for my canopus.
    Quote Quote