VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't know if there was a better place to put this or not.

I've looked and looked and I can't look anymore without going crazy.

I'm trying to be able to take a Fullscreen version of "Bob's movie" (DVD with menus) and replace the video with a Widescreen version of "Bob's movie.avi" and keep the functionality of the the Fullscreen version's menus.

Can someone guide me on how to do what I'm asking?

The widescreen version is .avi format, but I have all the software I need to make that into a DVD image or folder. So you can assume it is that unless it's easier from the avi.

Is this possible with DVDReMake Pro 3.5?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by sebastien91
    The widescreen version is .avi format, but I have all the software I need to make that into a DVD image or folder.
    So, make the DVD folder and then replace it in the fullscreen version you have using VobBlanker:

http://jsoto.posunplugged.com/guides/VobBlanker/adding_menus/index.htm

Skip down to step 6 and begin there.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It is possible with DVDRemake. Just open both files and copy/paste wide angle to same title PGC with full screen, than delete all full scree blocks.
    Menu will than play in full screen and movie in wide.
    You may have to check Video tab to make sure the wide screen is set properly, if not reset it.
    If you want to keep both, than you need to import wide one in new VTS, but it will need new menu to be able to play either one.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I got it to work with VobBlanker. Thanks.

EDIT:
    Originally Posted by manono
    Originally Posted by sebastien91
    The widescreen version is .avi format, but I have all the software I need to make that into a DVD image or folder.
    So, make the DVD folder and then replace it in the fullscreen version you have using VobBlanker:

http://jsoto.posunplugged.com/guides/VobBlanker/adding_menus/index.htm

Skip down to step 6 and begin there.
    Is there a way to retain the subtitles from the original FS version or does the WS one need to have subtitles in order to have subtitles on the finished product? Or is this what step 9 is for?

I replaced the FS with the WS and lost subs and other languages.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Oh, so now you want your subs (and other audio languages, maybe)? When doing the replace step in VobBlanker, only what's in that DVD you created from your AVI source will be included. The subs won't magically jump into the new DVD as subs are contained in the VOB files you created elsewhere. You can add subs after the fact, but it involves both knowledge and work.

Here's Baldrick's guide on how to do it:

https://forum.videohelp.com/topic338721.html

I might suggest going to a subtitle site and downloading subs for the movie (assuming it's well-known), and then doing the AVI2DVD conversion again, this time including the subs. You didn't say what you were using to do the conversion, but most of the programs allow for the inclusion of subtitles. There are a bunch of subtitle sites listed at the top of the sticky here:

https://forum.videohelp.com/topic267416.html

That step 9 you mentioned isn't for adding in the subs, but for cleaning up the IFOs to reflect the changed number of subs and/or audio tracks. If you wind up with different numbers of either as compared to the original, you might want to go through that step 9 and fix everything.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is there a way to have VobBlanker not lower the quality of the subtitles in the new widescreen VOB?

My new subtitles, that are white with a black border (tested before replacing the other, old VOB), are choppy blue with a red border after replacing the vob.
    Quote Quote  
  7. VobBlanker does nothing to the subtitles. It uses the colors of the original CLUT (Color LookUp Table), and not the CLUT of the DVD you created for replacing. If the subs are the wrong color then fix them using either PGCEdit or DVDSubEdit: Here's a guide for using DVDSubEdit for the job:

http://download.videohelp.com/DVDSubEdit/Guides/ChangingColors/Guide.htm

At least you have subs now, eh? Making progress. Just one simple step left to go before burning to disc.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have yet to fix the subs, but PGCEdit crashes when I open the DVD. Any ideas?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Okay, I found the setting to fix the subtitles. (It was quite obviously right in front of my eyes).

Now, if this makes the answer different... Can I correct the stream positions with a program other than PGCEdit?
    Quote Quote  
  10. I always use PGCEdit, but most things it can do IFOEdit can also do. But since I hardly use IFOEdit for anything, I couldn't give directions. If you look around for guides to it though, they might say. Or maybe someone else will come along to help.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I used DVDReMake Pro to do it. I now have a working DVD.
    Quote Quote