VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is there a way to create a bootable memtest86 DVD? I have a laptop that boots DVD but not CD, and the only ISO I can find is for CD. Can a memtest86 ISO for DVD be made, and how can it be done if it can?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Just burn it to a DVD with ImgBurn.
    It's just data, so the media shouldn't make any difference as long as the PC can boot from it.

http://memtest86.com/technical.htm#win
    Last edited by redwudz; 28th Apr 2017 at 13:20.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No I can't burn this ISO to DVD. I tried Nero which prompts me to insert CDR/RW, and ImgBurn which
    says incompatible media unless there's a CDR/RW in the drive.
    Quote Quote  
  4. It should work like redwudz said. Maybe your burners/readers don't like the (crappy) medium you are using. Or your burner can't burn DVDs in the first place.

Try better medium or use a USB stick.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Two different burners recognize the DVD for what it is, and two different burning programs indicate CDR/RW media is needed to burn the image file. Also both DVD burners have successfully burned both numerous DVDs and numerous CDs. I Google searched the problem to find others have the same issue but found no solution. That ISO file is apparently suitable to only burn to CD and not to DVD.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I have never heard of or experienced such a problem. Same happening with the memtest86+ iso? ImgBurn log and error message?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I just took the ISO of Memtest86 v4.3.7 and burned it in ImgBurn to a TY DVD. I used 'Write image file to disc'. No problems.
    Rebooted my PC (The one in my Computer Details) and the program started and is running at present.
    I have had some BSODs in the past, so good time as any to run a memory test.
    Quote Quote  
  8. First, you are doing something wrong with the image to have the burning problem. If it fits on a CD it will fit and boot on a DVD.

Second, memory testing programs are a near-total waste of time. Results are not dependable, full test takes hours, RAM is cheap, and swapping modules takes a minute or two. Have not used any such program in decades. Just not cost-effective.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by Nelson37 View Post
    Second, memory testing programs are a near-total waste of time. Results are not dependable, full test takes hours, RAM is cheap, and swapping modules takes a minute or two. Have not used any such program in decades. Just not cost-effective.
    So every time your PC produces an error or crashes you swap the RAM?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Only on those rare occasions when the error indicates that RAM is a good probability, which is pretty unusual unless you buy a lot of extremely cheap RAM, which is a bad economy.

Swapping the chip gives you an absolute indicator of what the problem is, or is not. RAM testing programs do NOT repeat NOT do this. I get paid to solve the problem, if I make a second trip to solve the same problem, that gets done at no charge. Therefore, I do not waste time on procedures which do not lead to solving the problem, and I sure as hell do not wait two or more hours on testing programs that do not give definitive or dependable answers.
    Quote Quote  
  11. For me the point of testing software like Memtest86+, Prime95, Intel Burn Test and x265 is to test a new or changed system to find out if there is any problem in the first place. I don't want to find out later that files got corrupted and I need to replace hardware, maybe re-install OS or similar. The point is to provoke errors quickly before you ever use the system "productively".
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Both the Memtest86 ISO v7.3 and v5.1 I tried failed to burn to DVD+R as I described, but today I tried Memtest86 v4.3.7 ISO which burned with no problem to the exact same DVD+R tried unsuccessfully with the other versions. I know not why the other ISO files fail to burn, but I'm glad v4.3.7 works.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!