VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. So what are your comments on new thing of restoration "The Beatles: Get Back"?
    What was great, what was not?
    Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I've seen several dozen excerpts on YouTube, but don't have the streaming service to watch the whole thing.

Visual Restoration. Absolutely brilliant. I do amateur movie film restoration, so I know what's involved, and I am in awe what was done here. Jackson's WWI documentary was far more difficult, and he brought those same techniques to bear on much more pristine footage, resulting in a look that is almost eerie, given how modern it looks. Thankfully he did not try to make it 60p.

Audio Restoraion. I've watched and listened to some of the YouTube clips on my home theater, and thought they did a great job. This opinion is influenced by finding out what they had to work with, and how they had to perform some amazing miracles, extracting individual instruments and vocals so they could do a modern mix.

Story. I can only guess at this based on disjointed clips posted on YouTube, and on production notes. I have a feeling ("a feeling deep inside") I would be somewhat disappointed seeing all six hours, as I suspect that there isn't a narrative or story line, but rather a disjointed series of clips. "Hard Day's Night" was a little like this, but it did have a beginning, middle, and end.

I was twelve when the Beatles came to the USA, and spent a lot of time trying to play their music on my guitar. I have great appreciation for how much more musically advanced they were than most other groups of that era. They also had a lot more grounding in traditional music, and when they started experimenting in "Revolver," culminating in "Sgt. Peppers," they did so by keeping one foot firmly on a traditional musical footing, which is why almost all of it worked (except the wacko Yoko-influenced tracks).

I hope to see the whole thing some day.
    Last edited by johnmeyer; 16th Dec 2021 at 12:18.
    Quote Quote  
  3. @johnmeyer so you think restoration was a ok? Director was using all the knowledge only from this forum probably - and from doom forum too. Because there are no higher restoration knowledge anywhere like here.
    Last edited by taigi; 14th Dec 2021 at 23:52.
    Quote Quote  
  4. With all due respect to the members of this forum, and the forum at doom9.org, Peter Jackson has access to tools that we can only dream of. We are pikers by comparison. He also has dozens (or more) people who can hand-craft in ways we cannot do. The colorization of the WWI footage is one example of that, but it applies to what they did with the "Get Back" footage as well. As one obvious example, I can guarantee you that no one here, with the tools we have at our disposal, can perform grain reduction with the spectacular results shown in the clips I've seen.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I wrote in another topic on here that I thought the grain reduction (I did not use those words back then) was overdone - given it a 'shot on video' look which, I guess, is what many are now used to.

My other 'gripe' was that most of the feature was in wide-screen rather than a more authentic original AR (I read that was also done to a degree when the original Let It Be film played the cinemas. Only during the roof-top concert when they employed split-screen (and to good effect) did one see what was essentially on the 16 mm original.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I support the way it looks. For aging Beatle fans (myself included) it's emotional, although it's 50 years, seeing them this way,
    how good they were working out the songs and their interaction in the process, it means a lot to fans.
    The "newness" of the look has a psychological effect that boosts that feeling. It brings you closer.
    The film itself shows that the general "tense" atmosphere of the original Let it Be movie wasn't really representative of those two weeks -
    all these things invoke poignant feelings for the fans

For non-fans, those watching out of curiousity, also benefit from the film cleanup - ie. more people likely to look at it,
    and understand it was a special moment in time
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by johnmeyer View Post
    With all due respect to the members of this forum, and the forum at doom9.org, Peter Jackson has access to tools that we can only dream of. We are pikers by comparison. ....
    No kiddin'. He did start Weta Digital (though I think he's sold it). However, he hasn't done anything I've liked in a ver long time.

I highly recommend McCartney 3.2.1.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Regarding the Get Back film and content its self.. I found it an interesting historical documentary ... Good watch as a Beatle fan and saw them in 1963. at the then Astoria theatre Finsbury Park London N4. ..Just when you think nothing else about the Beatles will come along ... Would you believe it this 7 Hour documentary comes along... Would have loved to sit in the studio on their earlier LP recordings.. Must be the most talked,filmed and written about group in history.. And so many record first achievements in history..Worldwide Beatlemania..never any mania so big and worldwide about any other group ... Things are obviously a lot different now... As we all know TIME and Technology changes everything and everyone... Keep Well All
    Last edited by LOWTECH; 28th Dec 2021 at 03:25.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Would've been better if less dnr was applied. Audio and colour works were brilliant
    Quote Quote  
  10. The audio enhancement which is an area I'm familiar in was impressive. For comparison spleeter, Izotope RX cannot separate instruments, voice without considerable artifacts. While I could still hear some odd artifacts with Harrison guitar in practice it was definitely acceptable. Peter said they created an inhouse training set for the guitar model, bass, george, Paul, Lennon & Ringo singing & talking voices based on archival interviews & stems. This shows the potential of AI for film enhancement when used correctly.

As for the picture I have mixed feelings. The denoise reduction was very distracting at times as it seemed to be applied aggressively to the background & less on the subjects. This creates a noticeable depth blur that felt jarring in some scenes. I understand their decision was due to the release format on Disney streaming. Grain & noise is not tolerated for streaming so I expect if there is a downloadable or blu ray release they may reduce the threshold. Colour, lighting & framing were all great so overall it's a much more impressive image than a solo amateur could do on his own.

Finally, I'm not a huge Beatles fan but I appreciate & acknowledge everything they created along with most importantly George Martin. The editing & pacing choice felt difficult to hold my interest although it was great to see Paul struggle to write songs through the same process as any other musician, made it feel authentic & dropped their larger than life persona image. But for those that aren't obsessed with The Beatles a 2 hour edit is enough.
    Quote Quote