VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi. If anybody wanted to see a video about different DeInterlacer's (In this case Yadif & QTGMC) for the 1000'th time, then i have made a YouTube video showing the filters off

I have upscaled the video to 4K so you can see all the detail in the clips.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCd4_VS6WvQ

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    QTGMC settings? Looks very denoised to me.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I swear by QTGMC but that right-side example has extreme ghosting (if that's the correct term). Look at the right side of the fellow's head, especially his right ear and collar.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    It is hard to compare when there is a lot of compression artifacts and line timing errors, a.k.a wiggle. Line wiggle is more apparent in the QTGMC sample and has less details due some denoising action.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    @ Barrythecrab it's an artifact of analog transmission and/or recording. It's there in all three versions of the video but the QTGMC version makes it stand out the most.
    Quote Quote  
  6. @Skiller The original VHS capture had large ammounts of ghosting. the QTGMC setting was on placebo. Is the “Slower” function better?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    I believe the slower the setting the more denoising you get, Try the fastest option so you can avoid denoising. I found QTGMC works better with a VCR built in TBC/DNR and gives rock solid clean video, If noise and line timing are present QTGMC turn those into what I like to call "boiling effect" where noise pixels are agitated left and right throughout the frame. If no hardware DNR is available try denoising first with another app and then procede to QTGMC with the fastest setting.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I like how the "original interlaced" is deinterlaced. Youtube will never give you accurate samples of deinterlacers, too compressed, Youtube does whatever it wants to your video. The mere act of (trying to) upscale to 4K will itself mess with quality.

Yadif leaves jaggies.
    QTGMC can have NR depending on settings.
    Nothing new here.

@AntonHarboe, learn QTGMC settings, use QTGMC, forget about Yadif (predates QTGMC, inferior).

@dellsam34: I've seen that, but only for the 59.94fps. If you drop frame, 29.97fps used, all is well.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote