VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello everyone,
    I am very new to this forum, I just need help from you guys.

I want to make an old VHS effect template which I can use with any video to get a very realistic VHS look. one way to do that is I would just transfer video to VHS VCR and than transfer that footage back to my PC to make it digital again with VHS look,. but it's not very convenience for me and I don't have any VCR, anyways.

For so many days I was looking for a plug-in or a preset for Premiere Pro or After Effects to get very realistic VHS effect. but mostly I see that not all digital effects look very real, somehow they show that they are digital effects. than finally I found a YouTube video where someone show a video which looks perfect VHS copy, in fact I thought its real vhs video, but that was actually processed with filters in AVISynth, and that effect is what EXACTLY I want.

but the problem is, its only available for AVIsynth which is not easy to do, even i was able to apply a video clip in that script and got the very perfect output, but I just want to do the same effects on Premiere Pro CS5. I know all of the filter in AVISyncth can also be applied in Premire PRo,

can some one please tell me how can I do all that exact same thing with premiere pro?

I am uploading that AVIsynth script with all necessary files which are used for filters, if anyone is expert in AVIsynth programming, I am sure he would know how those all effects can be used in Premiere Pro or After Effects.

Thanks,
    here is the AVISynth VHS Effects folder: http://files.videohelp.com/u/119638/AVISynth%20VHS%20Effect%20v12.10.6.zip

and here is the YouTube video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iO5Yr7dd58

[Sorry for my bad English]
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by asim View Post

but the problem is, its only available for AVIsynth which is not easy to do, even i was able to apply a video clip in that script and got the very perfect output, but I just want to do the same effects on Premiere Pro CS5. I know all of the filter in AVISyncth can also be applied in Premire PRo,
    No, not directly

What version of Premiere are you using? newer versions are x64 only, and avisynth and most it's filter are usually x86 32bit

Either way, you cannot apply avisynth filters directly in AE or PP. Only indirectly or with workarounds

Old versions of premiere CS4 and older can import avs scripts directly with the Premiere Pro avisynth import plugin because they are 32bit (effect is applied to video in the avs, then the avs is imported. The .avs looks like uncompressed video to premiere )

If you have 64bit avisynth, there is a 64bit import plugin that works with newer version, but its very unstable, and avisynth 64bit is unstable with very few filters

The other commonly used workaround is to apply the effects to the video in avisynth, and import a lossless intermediate e.g. lagarith, ut video, etc.... , or use avisynth as a post processing after exporting from Premiere or AE
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    AVSF is another method and should open in 64-bit Premiere. I agree encoding to intermediate is the best option.
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
  4. Yes , avisynth virtual frame server AVFS works as well for frameserving; similar as above - not direct application of filters to a video in PP, but through avisynth indirectly first)
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What I could understand is that, when you import avs script in premiere pro, it's same as just importing the avisynth processed video (with filters applied in avisynth already) intro PP so you can further edit the video in PP (correct me if im wrong) but that's not i want.
    what I want is, to make a TEMPLATE of all these similar effects (used in this particular script) in Adobe After Effects, so that I can import any video into the project and readjust the effects according to needs, with more adjustable controls, rather than using only a single script and get same effects with every video.

My believe is that, every video editing has some universal settings and filter which are all same but you just face a different user interface to adjust them, for example in avs script there is a line which says:

sourcevideo=AVISOURCE("song.avi")

it is the same as importing video in After Effects.
    other line says: LEVELS(0,1,255,8,192)

it is the same as adjusting leves in After Effects, etc..

so my point is, because I'm not a avisynth expert, I can't understand all of its syntax, although I was able to understand a little but of that scrip and did the same in After Effects, and got a good output, for example, there are some flat noise videos to be used as layers on the source video to make VHS look, I used the same video in AE and changed their blending mode and opacity and it looks somehow similar with what i would've gotten from avisynth.

So I thought may be there is someone who understand this AVISynth script syntax and translate it for me.

and I want to make clear that here im talking about this single script file which I uploaded, it has only few lines and few filters are used, it's not that difficult for someone who is already AVISynth programmer.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You have the right idea. Use various filters in your NLE to get the same results with Avisynth, then save as a template to use in future projects.

Clearly you have a clue, why ask that question here? Only you would have an interest in doing this. There are VHS effect plugins for various NLEs out in the wild already.
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by racer-x View Post
    You have the right idea. Use various filters in your NLE to get the same results with Avisynth, then save as a template to use in future projects.

Clearly you have a clue, why ask that question here? Only you would have an interest in doing this. There are VHS effect plugins for various NLEs out in the wild already.
    can u tell me any plug ins which have very realistic VHS effects, i have seen many plug -ins but they are not as much realistic as this avisynth script is.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!