VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hey everyone.

I'm using Premiere to edit videos, and footage I'm editing has yuv420 color space. My workflow is to export video as ProRes and use ffmpeg to reencode the video. As ProRes only does yuv422 and yuv444 the question rises: will the color "accuracy" suffer from all these color conversions? Since it goes from original yuv420 to ProRes yuv422 and then to yuv420 again. Is there a better way to handle intermediate file routine?

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    1. Depends on the method/algorithm (both upspace and re-downspace). If you have mod4 resolutions, and you do point-resize up and then back down, it should be fine. See next...
    2. Rarely is it totally lossless, but with good tools & good methods, most loss is minimal and possibly unnoticeable. This (and improved workflow/system responsiveness) is why visually-lossless 4:2:2 codecs are so popular with pros.

Thing is, during use of intermediate, it is often not just editing, but also FX and compositing, which negates any possibility of truly lossless round-trip. Plus, re-encoding to lossy format is lossly. YMMV.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  3. Why use intermediates at all? Why not export it directly from PP ? You can use voukoder; it can use ffmpeg libx264, libx265 plus a few others. Faster, no prores quality loss or large intermediate files.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I agree. The intermediate workflow is most applicable to intermediate processes (hence the name). And voukoder is a great tool.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thank you for your replies.

@Cornucopia, I do get that all the conversions are lossy, but it seems like ProRes is the fastest to export of all visually-lossless codecs and that's what matters to me. I didn't quite get what you explained but I guess you meant my workflow is fine?

@poisondeathray, I totally forgot about Voukoder because I've had problems with it in the past. I'll try it now, thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Intermediaries are for editing and restoration, such as Huffyuv, Lagarith, ProRes422, DNxHD, etc others (some are lossless, some not).
    Delivery is the end-user watching formats, like H.264.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  7. @lordsmurf, yes, but since PP has a bad h264 encoder I have to use intermediate files and ffmpeg to be able to encode with x264.
    Voukoder is good even though I don't really dig plugins since they tend to break on updates and such.
    Quote Quote