+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I plant tomatos as a habit
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Tomatoes for sure ... any left over ones ... will go into zip lock bags and be frozen. In the winter time ... no need to buy tomato sauce for extra flavoring. We have quite a few growing but only 4 that are kicking butt.

Cucumbers ... last summer ... I was eating them like pop sicles ... this summer was screwed up ... kept raining in the valley.

And your poll is missing ... Bell Peppers ... I can eat them too ... fresh off the ... vine ... off the branch ... they too can be frozen and added into stuff for winter cooking.

Hopefully ... this next spring ... we will be on time. We have two peach trees ... one orange tree ... and a black berry bush and it is doing really well.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Bell pepper=other,too many other types of veggies to list
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    no garden here.....
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I use tubs to plant in and use a drip watering system. The regular soil here is like concrete and highly alkaline. Tomatoes, cucumbers, melons, strawberries, artichoke are the ones I've tried so far. But come summer, the temps stay over 100F and not much survives. You have to plant early and harvest before the heat hits.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    soil sucks here also, no topsoil and not much direct sun. about all that will grow is weeds.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    50 acres ... not just vegetables here ... throw seed to ground and watch it take off on it's own
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Flowers. Marigolds this year -- nice large patch that's just thriving.
    Put in a few knock-out roses, too. Blinding hot pink.

It's just something to prettify (or purty-up) the yard.

It's cheaper and easier to just buy produce from the market. Too hot, bad soil, etc.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    Flowers. Marigolds this year -- nice large patch that's just thriving.
    Put in a few knock-out roses, too. Blinding hot pink.

It's just something to prettify (or purty-up) the yard.

It's cheaper and easier to just buy produce from the market. Too hot, bad soil, etc.
    We do buy heads of lettuce but my wife told me yesterday that buy a bag of salad lettuce was cheaper and its already cut up and such. Make a tuna sandwich and just open up the bag [held shut with clothes hanging pins] and put some lettuce on with the tuna spread ... my spread consists of tuna ... pickle relish and mayo and then lay some lettuce on top.

Marigolds ... got them growning in the front and roses in front of our windows and another flower bush. Cannot think of the name at the moment ... my wife knows ... gardenas ... I think. She is happy about this flower bush because it is not dying during winter and it keeps coming back in the spring.

We also have these giant lilies ... grow 3 feet tall and spread out through a root ... rhyzones ... system ... we can take a shovel and take a section from the mass and transplant them to other places around the home ... so we now have more of these growing in our back yard.

Something I do to texture the ground ... I dig a deep hole and fill the hole with a huge mass of weeds and then cover it up.

We have a huge back yard and we definitely have our share of weeds. Last year the subdivision around the corner ... with only 4 houses there so far had a huge amount of weeds growing and the owner cut it down and my wife and I ... we took some garbage bags and scraped up a bunch of this ... cut dry weeds. We then planted our veggies but underneath each veggie was a mass of weeds to provide moisture retention. Cheaper then buying potting soil.

I also do this ... go to the hardware store ... get a 3 foot water pipe ... get an elbow ... and a nipple and attach a female water hose attachment to it ... it will look like a walking cane when finished ... attach a garden hose to it. You now can drill into your dirt ... three feet deep. Works great for providing water deep into the ground for your trees and other stuff your growing ... or use it to drill a deep hole for shoving a outdoor lamp into the ground or making fences.

Got a tree in the front yard that has roots going under the sidewalk ... well take the water pipe drill and put some holes in the ground where the tree is ... the roots wont have to look so hard ... after putting this water pipe drill to use.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Bags of lettuce rot in just a couple of days, giving you a bag of wilted leaves and brown juice. It's old compared to a head. A good head of lettuce can last a couple of weeks. Better yet, get the organic lettuce. It's one of the few organics I buy, because it doesn't turn crappy so quickly. Most of it is grown local in-season, too, meaning it's both fresher and supports local farmers.

I tried to bury soaker hoses last year, under a mulch layer, but the water didn't really go anywhere.
    I don't see how the pipe thing could work.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  11. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    The drip watering system works great here. I have a fairly complex timer, so it's all automatic and very efficient. Most all yards here are just crushed rock. Too expensive for water to have lawns, especially during the hot summer months. (115F with 10% humidity isn't unusual.) The dripper lines are about 1/8" and shallow and easy to run. Each dripper is adjustable. The native (Desert) plants do well in the alkaline soil. Mostly shrubs.

Where I used to live in N California, everything grew. But I lived in an apartment, so no gardening. Here I have Mesquite, Bush Morning Glory, Cascalote, Texas Sage, Texas Ash, Feathery Cassia, Oleander, Camelia, Gardenia, Red Flame Grapes, Mineola Tangelos, Rio Red Grapefruit, Nectarine and Pomegranate. Most all dwarf varieties. And also a few varieties of cactus.

Vegetable gardening is mostly in containers with bagged soil. Also on drippers. Very short vegtable growing season in early spring and early winter.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Weeds, Tomatoes, Weeds, Bell peppers, Weeds, Portulaca, German irises, Geraniums....

Tried Pansy's this spring, Couldn't figure why they got ratty so early until I saw the rabbits eating them. Die rabbits & Deer, Die!

Front of the house gets the best sun so the garden goes on either side of the front porch. The soil drains good.

One year I bestirred myself to work in Peat Moss and Organic fertilizer & Compost so it grows even better

Got bad soil try and find a stable that will give away manure, My brother did that for several years, when he was done his clay type soil was OK.
    If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Had a vegetable garden a few years ago, planted the usual - carrots, radishes, string beans, lettuce, corn, etc.
    Planted the corn in seven different hills, one hill a week, expecting corn for a similar period during the summer.
    Unfortunately planted too early (the ground was too cold) and when the ground warmed-up later in the spring,
    all the corn germinated at the same time - had bushells of corn for one week - the neighbors were greatful.
    Andrew Jackson: "It's a poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word."
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The secret to good soil is to get one of those "claw" type tools, and work in some granular fertilizer. That manure stinks too much.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by budwzr
    The secret to good soil is to get one of those "claw" type tools,
    You mean the GARDEN CLAW? Only 9.99 plus shipping and handling - act now!!!

But I guess it works...
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I grow tomatoes and some other things in containers. One reliable hybrid tomato, usually "Early Girl", and one or two heirloom tomatoes. This year I'm trying "Cherokee Purple". I had my first one tonight, and it lived up to its reputation as one of the best-tasting. I'm trying pole beans too, but the flowers are just drying up in the heat. I grow some cooking herbs too. Basil, chives, parsley, rosemary, thyme, sage, and French tarragon.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Ever since we bought our house 9 years ago my wife has planted tomatoes. The she started rotating in lettuce, peppers, cucumbers and zucchini. I planted strawberries and blueberries a few years ago.
    We have great soil here, supposedly my development was cow pastures until the 1930s, must have been because the ground is real fertile.
    Unfortunately with the heat wave we've been having and our schedules being really crazy this year we haven't had much opportunity to properly tend the gardens (or lawn) this year. Everything is doing it's job, but things are getting a little shabby and weedy.

--dES
    "You can observe a lot by watching." - Yogi Bera
    http://www.areturningadultstudent.com
    Quote Quote  
  18. Rumor has it. Yoda333 plants weed in his secret garden. Really!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Every year I put in a vegatable garden with a few tomato plants, pole green beans, herbs and summer squash (zuccini, yellow squash, etc.). This year has been too cool and the tomato harvest will be weak. My wife is quite the gardener: our front and back yards are filled with dozens of varieties of flowering plants such that for most of the year something is blooming. Late spring is a color riot in our yard; neighbors come by to enjoy the display.
    Last edited by TheFamilyMan; 3rd Aug 2011 at 15:58.
    Usually long gone and forgotten
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I try to plant food.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    Bags of lettuce rot in just a couple of days, giving you a bag of wilted leaves and brown juice. It's old compared to a head. A good head of lettuce can last a couple of weeks. Better yet, get the organic lettuce. It's one of the few organics I buy, because it doesn't turn crappy so quickly. Most of it is grown local in-season, too, meaning it's both fresher and supports local farmers.

I tried to bury soaker hoses last year, under a mulch layer, but the water didn't really go anywhere.
    I don't see how the pipe thing could work.
    Yep .. the lettuce in the bags dont last long ... I just threw away a bag away yesterday.

My garden this year didn't go so well compared to last summer ... last summer I had cucumbers like crazy ... was eating them like popsicles. It rained so much here in the valley that even the cotton farmers got a late start. We also wasn't financially able to plant our garden when March 21st came around ... supposely the ground is 70 degrees and cotton farmers are in the fields planting cotton but when it rains too much the seed just rots in the ground ... some farmers had to disk up what they planted and plant over again.

We do have 4 huge tomatoe plants kicking butt and we're scrambling [my wife and I] to put poles - stakes around our tomatoe bushes to keep the branches from laying on the ground.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!