VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I used Sefy's DVD>VCD backup guide.

I used Chapter-X-Tractor to get the chapter information to then paste to VCDEasy to get the entrypoints. However, each entrypoint was 2 seconds longer than it should have been. For example, Chapter 1 is supposed to end at 4:58 but instead, it ends at 5:00, and the same pattern continues for every entrypoint.

Also, my VCD is 55 min 32 sec long, yet when I DVD player reads the total time for it is 55:51.

Is the DVD to VCD process not perfect which causes the discrepency for the length of the chapters or did I do something wrong?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Entrypoint chapters can only be added on an I-Frame. You have to manually insert an I-Frame wherever you want a chapter point, otherwise programs like VCDEasy have to just insert the I-Frame at the nearest one, which as you have seen, can be up to a couple seconds away.

I assume you are using TMPGenc. Look for the force picture setting. This is where you can manually insert I-Frames. Get the frame #'s from ChapterExtractor. Unfortunately the only way to get TMPGenc to properly insert I-Frames is if you set it to close all GOPs. This decreases quality though.

As for the displayed runtime on your player, it should be accurate. I've heard of players having difficulty accurately displaying runtimes once you go above a certain point, but 55 mins definitely shouldn't be a problem. Have you checked the runtime of the encoded file? If you accidentally did a framerate conversion of something then that could change the runtime.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by adam
    Entrypoint chapters can only be added on an I-Frame. You have to manually insert an I-Frame wherever you want a chapter point, otherwise programs like VCDEasy have to just insert the I-Frame at the nearest one, which as you have seen, can be up to a couple seconds away.

I assume you are using TMPGenc. Look for the force picture setting. This is where you can manually insert I-Frames. Get the frame #'s from ChapterExtractor. Unfortunately the only way to get TMPGenc to properly insert I-Frames is if you set it to close all GOPs. This decreases quality though.
    For some reason, the frames that Chapter-X-Tractor gave me for the chapters were way off. Maybe it was just for this movie though, but I'll stick with the 2 seconds off. At least it is actually close the real chapter point. About the quality, is it a noticeable difference or very minor?

Originally Posted by adam
    As for the displayed runtime on your player, it should be accurate. I've heard of players having difficulty accurately displaying runtimes once you go above a certain point, but 55 mins definitely shouldn't be a problem. Have you checked the runtime of the encoded file? If you accidentally did a framerate conversion of something then that could change the runtime.
    My runtime was exactly 55 min and 32 sec, but my DVD player reads the total as 55 min 51 sec. It didn't cause any problems here but can it cause problems if a VCD had an 1 hr 15 min of encoded video on a 80 min disc?
    Quote Quote