VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hello. I have tons of 8mm film to transfer to DVD. I was wondering if anyone that frequents this glorious website can recommend a device that is sold out there, to get the job done. Or maybe you can recommend a service somewhere that can do the transfering. I have about 2500 feet of film. I got a quote here in Las Vegas from a place that will charge me about $1100.00 for the whole enchilada. I am trying to find a place that will do it a bit cheaper, if possible. It doesn't hurt to look around, and to ask around.

Thanks for any replies to my question.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Depending on how "picky" you are for the transfer, something like this works with lots of effort for the user.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/TRANSFER-Telecine-8mm-Movies-Slides-Film-VIDEO-DVD-/330503528716?p...item4cf38ba10c
    There are more expensive professional devices that will give better results but then it depends on the quality of the transfer that is expected. The device illustrated in the link probably does not do audio directly and the user needs to make a direct audio connection to eliminate the projector sounds instead of using a microphone.
    Assuming the films are rather old personal films, that may be satisfactory, otherwise expect to pay for professional services. Just a side note: I have seen drugstore ads that charge around $30 per reel of film to DVD.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hi! Thanks for the info. I will look into that device. I don't do ebay, but i know people that do, and i'll for sure look for more of these devices on the net. Playing the video at the end of that auction, the device looks like it does a good job. The 8mm film it converted looked like the transfer was smooth. Who knows how well preserved that particular film was? I am sure that the professional services do a better job, but i am sure that can run into the high hundreds of dollars, possibly over $1000.

Thanks again!

Originally Posted by OldMan64 View Post
    Depending on how "picky" you are for the transfer, something like this works with lots of effort for the user.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/TRANSFER-Telecine-8mm-Movies-Slides-Film-VIDEO-DVD-/330503528716?p...item4cf38ba10c
    There are more expensive professional devices that will give better results but then it depends on the quality of the transfer that is expected. The device illustrated in the link probably does not do audio directly and the user needs to make a direct audio connection to eliminate the projector sounds instead of using a microphone.
    Assuming the films are rather old personal films, that may be satisfactory, otherwise expect to pay for professional services. Just a side note: I have seen drugstore ads that charge around $30 per reel of film to DVD.
    Quote Quote