VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. When did broadcast television begin using the 480i resolution the same resolution as today's sd tv broadcasts?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Google it.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I did and couldn't find the answer
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by ezcapper View Post
    I did and couldn't find the answer
    BT.601 and BT.656 times...
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What do you mean by begin?

They must have transmitted something at some point during the development phase, which I doubt anyone documented.

Officially 1st July 1941 (I think).

Some high level testing began on April 30 1939 though.

As far as I can tell anyway...
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by ndjamena View Post
    What do you mean by begin?

They must have transmitted something at some point during the development phase, which I doubt anyone documented.

Officially 1st July 1941 (I think).

Some high level testing began on April 30 1939 though.

As far as I can tell anyway...
    Nope - 480 active lines are for digital video, for analog video it was AFAIR 486i
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    it wasn't 486 either ntsc analog tv is 525 lines
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Stop being picky, do you really think that's what the OP means?

-edit- wikipedia described it as 525 lines AND I IGNORED IT, BECAUSE IT WASN'T IMPORTANT.
    Last edited by ndjamena; 15th Jul 2015 at 10:06.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    LOL - educating the youngsters properly is important. even trivial facts are facts. should we go on and tell him it took 2 passes of the electron gun to complete a line? so the visible resolution should have been 262.5 lines, but some of that was lost in the overscan area? and that's how digital ended up at 240 lines/480i?
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    it wasn't 486 either ntsc analog tv is 525 lines
    well... first i've wrote about active video lines and second bot 480i and 486i system have 525 video lines... so not sure what are you asking for...

Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    LOL - educating the youngsters properly is important. even trivial facts are facts. should we go on and tell him it took 2 passes of the electron gun to complete a line? so the visible resolution should have been 262.5 lines, but some of that was lost in the overscan area? and that's how digital ended up at 240 lines/480i?
    yes, i agree, education is important and as such not sure how i can help you as seem you are confused with problem
    Quote Quote  
  11. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by pandy View Post
    yes, i agree, education is important and as such not sure how i can help you as seem you are confused with problem
    He indeed seems to be confused about the electron scanning.

And in general knowing history is obviously important, how else can we learn from mistakes we made in the past!

Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Your idea of what constitutes a mistake is rather naïve.

Apparently they were supposed to wait until 4K monitors became possible and affordable before attempting to develop a television system and then they were supposed to make the inner workings flexible enough (ie excessively complicated enough) to let anyone feed in anything they liked with impunity and expect a perfect result at the other end.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't recall seeing the term "480i" used before digital TV transmissions began in the USA. That would be some time in the 1990s for digital cable and the first over-the-air tests. In the analog TV era, the term used for the equivalent analog resolution was "NTSC".
    Quote Quote  
  14. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by ndjamena View Post
    Your idea of what constitutes a mistake is rather naïve.

Apparently they were supposed to wait until 4K monitors became possible and affordable before attempting to develop a television system and then they were supposed to make the inner workings flexible enough (ie excessively complicated enough) to let anyone feed in anything they liked with impunity and expect a perfect result at the other end.
    The development of NTSC in 1940 was not a mistake, it was a great achievement!

However that this 75 year old system is still prevalent in 2015 is not just a mistake it is a travesty of technological advancement.

Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ezcapper View Post
    When did broadcast television begin using the 480i resolution the same resolution as today's sd tv broadcasts?
    For broadcast: June 12, 2009 for the U.S. with the switch from NTSC (analog) to ATSC (digital). 480i (720x480 and 640x480) are part of the broadcast standard. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Television_Systems_Committee_standard
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Japan also uses 480i

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISDB
    Japan started digital broadcasting using the DVB-S standard by PerfecTV in October/1996, and DirecTV in December/1997, with communication satellites.
    I'm fairly certain 2009 was when the Analogue channels began to be shut off and not when digital first began broadcasting.
    Last edited by ndjamena; 15th Jul 2015 at 17:23.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Here we go

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_television_transition

Sometime in 1998 for the US.

And this would be why SD resolutions are still being used even today:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_television
    However, broadcasters may choose to reduce these resolutions to save bandwidth (e.g., many DVB-T channels in the United Kingdom use a horizontal resolution of 544 or 704 pixels per line).
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Channel_capacity

I would have preferred if they'd made a more concerted effort to abolish DVD once Blu Ray had been firmly established, it's continuing dominance is hurting both optical formats. However, it's never really that simple and would require a separate SD Blu Ray standard.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by ndjamena View Post
    I would have preferred if they'd made a more concerted effort to abolish DVD once Blu Ray had been firmly established, it's continuing dominance is hurting both optical formats.
    What?!

Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Digital Satellite "Broadcasting" began in the US in 1994.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Satellite_Service

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct-broadcast_satellite

Like I said, what's the scope of this question?

-edit- and I just realised "What do you mean by begin?" makes half the posts in this thread redundant.
    Last edited by ndjamena; 15th Jul 2015 at 19:36.
    Quote Quote