VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hey, guys, I have been trying this all week with no luck. I have a tv series I on VHS I am tring to put on DVD. I have the pinnacle capture card that came with Pinnacle studio version 8. There are two episodes per tape resulting in 105 minutes of footage, I am trying to put 2 tapes (210 minutes) on a DVD, so basically, I amtrying to make a 4 hour DVD by capturing MPEG2. Now the problem is, I cannot manage to get the right file sizes for all the video to fit (I do not even see a 4 hour option in my studio, the max is 124 minutes) , I change it to other sizes using Ulead movie factory, or try to burn with nero, or use TMPGNC, then infoedit and, but it takes a couple of HOURS to render. Basically, what software would produce the FASTEST way to make the 4 hour DVDs, I have so many VHS, I cannot wait hours for it to render (I have a fast PC 2.6ghz, 768 ram, so that's not it). How do I this in the shortest time possible, what software is best?

P.S. Speed is more important than professional results, I do not want to tinker with it for hours, I want a reliable QUICK way to do this project.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Since quality is not your primary concern you can try what a few people do.

Capture the tapes in MPEG2 format at the highest possible bit rate (9000) and then author this in the usual way, producing a very large DVD 'VIDEO_TS' directory on your hard drive, (or if you use virtual drives you can create the DVD image file on disk) instead of burning directly to DVD.

Then use the 'DVDShrink' program to reduce the authored product to fit on a single DVD.

While this won't give you the same quality as doing a multi-pass render it still produces good results.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    That's almost exactly what I do. I don't capture everything at 9000- based on trial and error and I now capture (with a Snazzi III pci card). at 9000 for 1 hour, 4800 for 2 hourand 3500 for 3 hours of video. Then I author and compile in TMPGEnc Author and use DVDShrink if necessary to get it all on the disk. Works fine for me.
    Quote Quote  
  4. another poster asked the same question here:
    https://www.videohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=187170

The dvd recorder option would be the best, however, compatibility with other dvd players may be an issue (at least with the panasonic line) and basically use the flex recording option (that is available on the panny). To resolve the compatibility issues, I use tmpgenc dvd author to "redo" it with chapters, menus and whatnot and then burn out to DVDr.

another option would be to purchase a canopus hardware encoder that does (i believe) real time encoding of the video/audio stream and then use an authoring program to make the video folders (ifo and vob files), use dvdshrink to get it down to 1 dvdr and then burn

With your current setup, I'd cap, use authoring program to make the ifo and vob files, shrink it, then burn.
    Quote Quote