VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. So here's the thing: I'm trying to match audio and subtitles from an older version of a movie, to the video of a new one, which differs only slightly. Normally not a problem, since I can use MKVToolnix to adjust both audio and text, but the problem is that the differences in the new video file occurs in a couple of places (maybe more, as I'm stumped at the first hurdle). Hence, even if sound and text match the video perfectly for about an hour, they then go out of sync and by the end of the movie it's all a big mess.

Is there a tool which will let me stretch or delay text and audio at several points throughout the movie?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Any audio editor (the free "Audacity" for example) can realign the audio. The method is to navigate to the point it goes out
    then either edit in some silence to move the later audio along, or remove a small amount to shift the remaining audio earlier.

Should probably put up both videos on the screen side by side, and see exactly what happens when it goes out,
    additional added scene, tighter editing or similar, etc,etc

You can use stackhorizontal in Avisynth to do this easily
    Quote Quote  
  3. Super, thanks a lot! Any thought on subtitles? Do I just have to convert to .srt and manually edit the timestamps?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Belfaborac View Post
    Super, thanks a lot! Any thought on subtitles? Do I just have to convert to .srt and manually edit the timestamps?
    Use SubtitleEdit, it has a whole variety of tools to help with synchronization
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thanks a lot once again. Much appreciated!
    Quote Quote