VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hi,

I use mkvmerge to merge a x264, dts and sup file. The mkv file plays fine in vlc player with the subs in the expected position. If i play it in PowerDVD (17), the subs are positioned according to the default subtitle position specified in powerdvd's settings ie. at 6% from the bottom. This is not good as it means having to change this setting for different aspect videos files.

Same think happens when i create my own sup file (using SubtitleEdit) with position height specified in the sup file.

Does anyone know how i can get the file to save the subtitle position in the file so it plays in the correct place every time no matter what player is used. Ideally i'd rather this were a setting in the file than re-encoding to hard subs. Of course there was no issue with using BD or AVCHD structures, but i want to simplify my files to just mkv now.

thanks

asianhawk
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Maybe if you used SSA/ASS Subtitles https://www.matroska.org/technical/specs/subtitles/ssa.html it would work. I only use an external media player for my video's and you can control the position in it's hardware.
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote