VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am a novice on this page. I have many 8mm tapes that i have already converted to digital. Im ready to start converting my Mini DV tapes recorded on a sony camcorder. They are all the type with the gold contacts. I have a sony gvd900 that i can connect via Firewire to my PC. I have been using Premiere to capture and have been very successful (with the 8mm).
    I kept notes on start times and dates on my 8mm. I was told the Mini DV tapes would write the date and times for me on the Mini DV so i did not write notes for them.
    How do I grab/transfer/look at the recording info from each tape while using the sony gvd900 so i can have scene dates and times?
    Sorry for the wordyness and length, I just wanna hit the ground running. I have already converted 40+ 8mm and I have 40 Mini DV tapes to transfer.
    Thanking you in advance,
    Mark G
    Quote Quote  
  2. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    The memory is accessed by whatever player you use, be it a camcorder or a deck, Make sure your deck is capable of reading the memory, Also try to use SClive not Premeiere, It is a lightweight app and I believe it can use the memory data if the player reads it.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Scenalyser will "index" a tape for you. What it does is capture while in fast-forward/preview, and only takes a couple of minutes. Obviously, the quality is poor, but the date/time codes are captured, along with low-res video, and you can quickly see what is on the tape without having to spend the whole hour capturing it. You can then decide which bits you want to record, cue up to them and capture.

Here's my basic Scenalyser tutorial. It doesn't cover indexing, but that should be pretty easy to work out.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/158O_LS9Lb2vqEOtLeVyRF0V5_P84aXGH/view?usp=share_link
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Re Premiere, I wouldn't be surprised if it had a function where you can access the timecode at a particular point in a clip. My Magix editor can insert a title based on the tape timecode at any point.
    Quote Quote  
  5. The timecodes are also baked into the resulting DV file. Use something like DVDate to examine them.
    Quote Quote