VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have an older model Sony TRV-11 and am pretty happy with it. I have the upgrade itch, does anyone have these newer model DV camcorders?

The reviews seem up and down, but I would like to hear some real world users.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just bought the TRV33 a couple of weeks ago, I upgraded from an 8 year old Sony 8mm camcorder. I really wanted a basic mini-DV camera, something like the TRV19/TRV22 or one of the Canon ZR60 or 65 cameras. But after comparing the Sony and Canon models I went with the Sony, mainly because of the form factor. I opted for the TRV33 because I was able to get it a good price.

The TRV33 was everything I wanted in a camera, and, obviously, more! The only caveats I have with it are the focal length of the lens, the noise from the tape compartment and the stock battery. Coming from a digital still camera background I was somewhat surprised when set the camera's lens to its widest setting, I found myself, still, backing away from the subject. It's just something one has to get used to. The noise from the tape compartment probably goes hand-in-hand with the form factor. Even while taping there is some noise coming from the mechanism, luckily it does not get picked up by the camera's mics. Unfortunately, the noise gets even louder when you are rewinding or fast forwarding the tape. The battery that comes with the camera is a joke, the charge will only last for 45 to 60 minutes of taping, even less if you are using the LCD. This forces you to immediately buy a much more expensive, longer lasting battery (in my case) if you can find them!
    Quote Quote  
  3. The TRV22 has a wider angle lens. If you're shooting in a small room, you get more of the people in your video with TRV 22. Both TRV22 and 33 are a little noisy and you get a buzzing sound on the tape. The TRV 33 and 38 are identical in their optics. But the TRV38 has less noise.

I think if you want to film mostly indoors and in mid to low light conditions, TRV22 would be a great choice.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I think you should consider >1.5 Megapixel single chip cam from SONY or maybe 3CCD Panasonic PV-GS70 (cheap and very good).
    Quote Quote  
  5. Dont get the 33. If you want a camera like that opt for the 22. its less money and its the same cam. Trust me the 1 megapixel pictures that it takes is not worth the extra hundred bucks.

If you opt for the 38 you will be satified, but its not much better than the 22. (Just has a bigger LCD which is good for touch screen) I find that this camera is less stable when you hold it in your hand though.

MY suggestion is the 22.

That is what I use, and the carl ziess lens is awesome!

late

PRO
    Quote Quote  
  6. I own the TRV-38. For about 6 months now. No problems with over 100hrs of recording. The still picture function is 'okay', enough to get you by in a pinch. But don't expect the quality to rival a dedicated still dig camera.

I bought the *Sony* tripod and the wide angle lens. (See Sony site). The tripod is unique because it has zoom, start/stop recording controls on the boom handle. You never need to touch the camera after you begin filming. (Tripod actually plugs into the camcorder with a plug, for the controls.)

I use the wide angle lens for group shoots. (My boys Christmas show.) You can get about 20% more into the frame.

Video output is fantastic! The Carl Zeiss lens are worth its weight.

As with many Sony cameras, bring your wallet. IT ain't cheap but it is quality.

Write back if you have any other questions!

Awlchu
    -----------------------------------------------------

There is a reason why God gave us one mouth and two ears!!!
    Quote Quote  
  7. Forgot to mention the battery life. As one person mentioned, the std battery is okay for a backup but spend the $ and buy the #50 (or larger) size battery. WIth the #50 you can get 120mins with the LCD.

Awlchu
    -----------------------------------------------------

There is a reason why God gave us one mouth and two ears!!!
    Quote Quote  
  8. The 22 is less tasking on the battery too. I really like the 38, but the 22 is the same thing minus the one mega-pixel stills (which are not really worth the extra cash)

I suppose that if you like the bigger LCD then the 38 is the way to go.

I will be honest. I own a TRV350, and a TRV22. If I were to buy a new camera I would get a 38. (but I already own two others)

But those VX series cams look so good. Thats what I saving for.

Go to Circuit City. Hold the cameras in your hands. You will find that the TRV22 just "feels better"

late

PRO
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I purchased a 33 last year and I have to say the rewind and fast forward are a little noisy. The battery supplied last about 60 min as mentioned of record time. That really is a small drawback but I think the quality is great. I purchased an extended battery from ebay for $29. I have approx 500min of record time.
    Quote Quote  
  10. The camera works Great.
    The diff is not just the still resolution but also in the video resolution
    Still Actual Resolution
    22: 340k pixel
    33: 1000k pixel

Video Actual Resolution
    22: 340k pixel
    33: 690k pixel

Imaging Device
    22: 1/4'' Advanced HAD™ CCD Imager, 680K Pixels Gross
    33: 1/4.7'' Advanced HAD™ CCD Imager, 960K Pixels Gross

MPEG Type
    22: MPEG
    33: MPEG EX

Regards

Saurabh
    Quote Quote  
  11. Hey Dynamix!

Who did you buy that battery from? Is it an off-brand? I ask cuz I'm bought a Li-Ion battery that physically fits my TRV33, but won't work cuz it's not an InfoLithium. I bought this battery at about the same price you did off eBay. Could it be a InfoTech battery?

Ken
    Quote Quote