VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a windows XP machine with two accounts on it. My account works ok. In the other account when ever msword is launched windows installer starts to install a Turbo Tax 2006 program. Also when IE is launched windows installer starts and the same program Turbo Tax starts to install.

Now just for GP I did an update to Spy sweeper anti-virus on the XP machine to the latest version 5.8 plus a desktop firewall.
    Soon afterward the problems began.

I did some reading on the web on different forums out there on the subject and got nowhere about a specific procedure that I can do to stop this......Did I cause this with the update of spy sweeper?

I also have Norton on my PC as well for added protection. It came with the PC when I bought it. Is this causing the windows installer to start?

Thank you for any help you can give.

If you need more info please let me know........

Jerome
    Quote Quote  
  2. I mainly see this on computers where it wants to install some of the HP printer Software when the computer is started.

Why not just uninstall the Turbotax 2006 and see what happens?

You could also try the Microsoft uninstaller. I don't have the link handy I'm afraid.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I do not know if the next version of turbotax will need the 2006 files.......
    Also I know about MS uninstaller. I will try this and see what happens....

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  4. tgpo famous MAC commercial, You be the judge?
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    I use the FixEverythingThat'sWrongWithThisVideo() filter. Works perfectly every time.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I would have thought that the 2008 TurboTax would only need the 2007 files? Why not send them an e-mail and ask?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK,

I uninstalled the desktop firewall by spy sweeper and the windows installer problem went away.......

Spy sweeper desktop firewall was the culprit. I will have to get with the spy sweeper people and see if there is a way to install this without it upsetting the other XP account on my PC.....

Thanks guys for you help.......
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Or you could just install Zone Alarm which is free and just works.

Turbo Tax does NOT need your 2006 tax files. It is best to have your 2007 files available when you install Turbo Tax for 2008 next year, but any 2006 tax info it needed will be in your 2007 files, which hopefully you still have. Also if for some reason you are missing files that Turbo Tax needs, it always gives you the chance to manually enter the data, so if you have a printed copy somewhere, you can always do that. So you're OK here in uninstalling it.
    Quote Quote