VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I am having trouble installing the ffmpegX for Mac power PC (OS 10.5). Mainly the only link for mpeg2enc is for Intel. Is there anyone who knows where I can download the correct ffmpeg (mpeg2enc, mencoder, mplayer) for OS X 10.5

I usually use Mpeg Slipstream to encode movies to DVD for play on a home player, but some of the formats (mkv, h264) will not encode properly for DVD playback using mPeg slipstream. In looking for info on the web I was recommended ffmpegX. Does iMovie do the same as well. Please help. Thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  2. also...when trying to install ffmpegx I get an error message telling me my OSX password is incorrect when i do not use a password and telling me something about "sudo" - I'm very confused by all this and am wondering if iMovie is a better alternative to encoding mp4 or mkv to DVD. Thanks in advance for your help.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Thread moved to the ffmpegX for MacOSX forum where you can get more help.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by cb678 View Post
    I am having trouble installing the ffmpegX for Mac power PC (OS 10.5). Mainly the only link for mpeg2enc is for Intel. Is there anyone who knows where I can download the correct mpeg2enc, mencoder, mplayer) for OS X 10.5
    All the current external binaries are Universal Binaries, i.e. containing PowerPC code and Intel code. Even mpeg2enc.intel is UB, despite the filename.

I usually use Mpeg Slipstream to encode movies to DVD for play on a home player, but some of the formats (mkv, h264) will not encode properly for DVD playback using mPeg slipstream. In looking for info on the web I was recommended ffmpegX. Does iMovie do the same as well.
    MPEG Streamclip does not transcode to MPEG-2 (for DVD). iMovie does not transcode to MPEG-2 (for DVD), but you could pass the iMovie file(s) to iDVD.
    ffmpegX does encode various formats to DVD (without a menu).

also...when trying to install ffmpegx I get an error message telling me my OSX password is incorrect when i do not use a password and telling me something about "sudo" - I'm very confused by all this.
    The installer tries to use the sudo command in the background. Use of the sudo command requires a non-blank admin password. The solution is to set a password. (It is okay to change it back to blank after the installation of ffmpegX.)
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thanks for the info. I was finally able to get this installed. My next problem is finding the correct setting to encode the mp4/H264 to a format to burn to DVD that is LOSSLESS. I tried a couple of setting, but when comparing the picture side-by-side to that of the original file. I noticed the picture quality is not as good. I've tried encoding to mov format to burn to DVD. I have not encountered the problem of lossy files when encoding AVI to MOV in MPEG Slipstream.

Which is the best setting to encode a file to burn to a DVD to play on a home player. Thanks for all your help.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    My next problem is finding the correct setting to encode the mp4/H264 to a format to burn to DVD that is LOSSLESS.
    Re-encoding is never really lossless when encoding to a lossy codec.

Originally Posted by cb678
    I tried a couple of setting, but when comparing the picture side-by-side to that of the original file. I noticed the picture quality is not as good. I've tried encoding to mov format to burn to DVD. I have not encountered the problem of lossy files when encoding AVI to MOV in MPEG Slipstream.
    AVI and MOV files are not universally playable on set top DVD players, although DivX AVI playback can be found as an extra feature on many. The true DVD-Video requires MPEG-2 in VOB files. Going from AVI to MOV can be lossless when the video is copied over as-is; i.e. only the container format changes (Save as... in MPEG Streamclip).

Which is the best setting to encode a file to burn to a DVD to play on a home player.
    Using the DVD ffmpeg preset with Qmin=2 and Qmax=2 (Options tab) should get you very good quality.
    Last edited by Case; 28th Oct 2011 at 15:59.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Thanks for the info. I tried using the DVD ffmpeg preset as you suggested and it gave both an mpg file and a VOB folder. The ffmpeg DVD encoded picture actually looks a bit better than the original mp4 file when compared side by side. Now, I'm going to try burning the mpg file and see what results I get. I can tell when i move the file to Toast (my burning program) that it reads 4 GB which is normal. When i tried encoding the same mp4 file in Slipstream it read as a 975 Mb file when moved to Toast and would not play in my DVD player when burned. I have opened avi mpg and mov files directly into Toast and had them burn to playable movies in my standalone DVD player.

I'll let you know how everything looks once I play the DVD. Thanks again for your help. I appreciate it.
    Quote Quote  
  8. also, I have an avi file which has an added commentary track which I would like to turn off. How do I go about doing that when I save to DVD file? and how do I go about adding a subtitle file?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    When you have a file with two audio tracks, then ffmpegX will process one at a time. So by selecting the other audio track, the commentary track will not be in the output. Is that how you want it?

To add DVD subtitles, you may use the Tools>Author tool. Add the .mpg file and .srt file, then Author.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Yes, I'll try encoding the movie as you suggested to remove the audio track.

I also tried to create chapter marks by putting numbers "1 - 12" in the chapter field, but they did not register when viewing in apple DVD player. I like the fact that I can drop the encoded file to DVD-ROM in Toast and have it write without having to wait for it to re-encode when dropping it it the Video window. The only problem is that burning via DVD-Rom in Toast will not give me chapter marks or menu. I don't mind not having the menu, but I do like to be able to move through a DVD using the chapter marks as opposed to FF. I was hoping I could somehow add chapter marks using ffmpeg. Is there any way to do this?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I also tried to create chapter marks by putting numbers "1 - 12" in the chapter field, but they did not register when viewing in apple DVD player.
    The chapter fields are for optionally selecting which chapters to encode from a VIDEO_TS source. It does not set chapters for the output.

The only problem is that burning via DVD-Rom in Toast will not give me chapter marks or menu. I don't mind not having the menu, but I do like to be able to move through a DVD using the chapter marks as opposed to FF. I was hoping I could somehow add chapter marks using ffmpeg. Is there any way to do this?
    You can do this in Toast. Do not add the VIDEO_TS folder. You may add the .mpg file from ffmpegX to Toast in Video>DVD-Video, then double-click the area where it is listed. On the right side of the pop-up window should be chapter options. Set Automatic or Manual. Manual allows for setting the chapter point using the slider and the Add [+] button. It is good practice to set your first chapter mark at 0:00:00. Automatic allows for a fixed interval (Every xx minutes). Automatic>Automatic is for when you add a movie from an editor in which the chapter marks are already set (e.g. iMovie), and which Toast can read.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Thanks for this information. Good to know.
    Quote Quote