+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 18
FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by C.C. 95 View Post
    Originally Posted by ernnnn View Post
    I think I have found the poop. And the poop is....... My laptop!! I started burning discs on a different computer, that one I never use but it's powerful enough to run all the programs. I have burnt three discs, those that previously failed miserably on my laptop (one of them 5 TIMES IN A ROW), and the three of them are working flawlesly on my standalone player. And they were burnt using the usual suspects settings, and even at the maximum speed. So, there is something wrong with my laptop. It's working perfectly well with anything else, but not transferring data to discs, for some reasons I cannot understand. So my problem seems to be fixed, fingers crossed.
    That's great to hear that you have solved the mystery! (But, I still recommened getting BD-50 RE DLs rewritable discs so you never have to worry about coasters and wasted discs again. Always do preliminary burns on rewritable to make sure everything is ok.)
    Maybe do a fresh install of the program on the laptop, and run CHKDSK /F, or DISM to see if anything is wrong.
    Otherwise, you seem to found the issue and solved it! Kudos!
    Nop, I rang the bells too early. I'm having the same problems on both computers. And, believe me, using BD-RE would not solve my problems. I mean, you can burn a disc, and it could work perfectly well from the first copy, or maybe the second, or maybe the third... The process I do is burning the same disc until it works, and it can take one, two, three... tries. Burning it on a BD-RE and having a success does not guarantee it will burn properly on a second try.

The Mediarange discs I'm using now are basically the same discs as the Verbatims. So I'll change them for Ritek or Buffalo discs, just in case. And I'm also returning the burner, and buying a new one. In case all of this fail, I would be lost, as there is not a common error on all the failures.

Thank you very much for all your help.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Urgh. That sucks.
    "using BD-RE would not solve my problems. I mean, you can burn a disc, and it could work perfectly well from the first copy, or maybe the second, or maybe the third"
    TRUE- But it will at least give you some feedback and save a few discs (especially when troubleshooting problems). The second burn may fail- but at least you have the data/feedback that the first burn did not (and "why" that may be the case). Even one saved disc is worth it.
    When I was having double layer failures it turned out to be my LG WH16NS60 and my ASUS BW-1616D1HT drives not liking layer changes.
    I got a PIONEER External Blu-ray Drive BDR-XD08UMB-S and it does dual layer like a champ.
    I also started using Plexdisc (Ritek) waterproof/glossy BD-50 DL discs (because they look like store-bought discs when printed, and being waterproof the ink will never run)
    I have had no issues with this setup. (Except one time when an entire batch of BD-50s was bad. I thought my problems with dual layer burns had started all over again but once I opened up a new batch, everything was fine again.)
    Do you think it could be a memory allocation issue? I know IMGBURN prefers no other extraneous processes running while it burns.
    (And for good measure, I go into task window and change priority to HIGH).
    Also- (not to knock this wonderful forum!) the IMGBURN forum is a pretty good forum to troubleshoot burning issues (not sure if you are using that program).
    Btw- did you say the standalone PC DID burn fine initially?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Urgh. That sucks.
    "using BD-RE would not solve my problems. I mean, you can burn a disc, and it could work perfectly well from the first copy, or maybe the second, or maybe the third"
    TRUE- But it will at least give you some feedback and save a few discs (especially when troubleshooting problems). The second burn may fail- but at least you have the data/feedback that the first burn did not (and "why" that may be the case). Even one saved disc is worth it.
    When I was having double layer failures it turned out to be my LG WH16NS60 and my ASUS BW-1616D1HT drives not liking layer changes.
    I got a PIONEER External Blu-ray Drive BDR-XD08UMB-S and it does dual layer like a champ.
    I also started using Plexdisc (Ritek) waterproof/glossy BD-50 DL discs (because they look like store-bought discs when printed, and being waterproof the ink will never run)
    I have had no issues with this setup. (Except one time when an entire batch of BD-50s was bad. I thought my problems with dual layer burns had started all over again but once I opened up a new batch, everything was fine again.)
    Do you think it could be a memory allocation issue? I know IMGBURN prefers no other extraneous processes running while it burns.
    Also- (not to knock this wonderful forum!) the IMGBURN forum is a pretty good forum to troubleshoot burning issues (not sure if you are using that program).
    When using Imgburn it was on a different computer, on a fresh Windows installation, and with nothing else running. I even tried using Nero instead, but I had the same results.

I'm having a look to the Pioneer drives, and I cannot seem to find that exact model. I have found Pioneer BDR-XD08SV (which seems to be very similar to the one you have) and Pioneer BDR-XS07JL. The first one is cheaper, and the second one seems to be "much professional", but I had that exact model and I didn't really like its performance. I even had the doubt it wasn't an original Pioneer drive (there seems to be fake units around, and it wasn't sold by Amazon itself).

The waterproof discs are amazing, but very expensive. Have you ever tried Buffalo discs?

And, to your last question, yes, all of them seem to start doing the burning process properly, and then they begin making errors until there are more failures than successes. Now I have stopped burning until I get the new burner and discs. In case the new burner has also problems, I don't know what else I should do.

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by ernnnn; 9th May 2023 at 10:16.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Urgh. That sucks.
    When using Imgburn it was on a different computer, on a fresh Windows installation, and with nothing else running. I even tried using Nero instead, but I had the same results.

I'm having a look to the Pioneer drives, and I cannot seem to find that exact model. I have found Pioneer BDR-XD08SV (which seems to be very similar to the one you have) and Pioneer BDR-XS07JL. The first one is cheaper, and the second one seems to be "much professional", but I had that exact model and I didn't really like its performance. I even had the doubt it wasn't an original Pioneer drive (there seems to be fake units around, and it wasn't sold by Amazon itself).

The waterproof discs are amazing, but very expensive. Have you ever tried Buffalo discs?

And, to your last question, yes, all of them seem to start doing the burning process properly, and then they begin making errors until there are more failures than successes. Now I have stopped burning until I get the new burner and discs. In case the new burner has also problems, I don't know what else I should do.

Thanks in advance!
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BN65PZS9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have not tried those discs. I'm not even familiar with the name! Do they have a good history?
    Probably not the issue, but- I was having discs act crazy and I realized I had two programs open and BOTH were trying to access the disc at the same time.
    (So while IMGBURN was burning, DVDFAB was trying to read the disc!). I'm sure that's not your issue, but just be aware of it!
    I assume bd25 burn fine? And does the unpleasantness ALWAYS start around the layer break?
    I can't guarantee that a pioneer will solve the issue - but I kept banging my head against a wall until I just gave in and tried it- and it worked. (MANY people on MAKEMKV forums and IMGBURN forums were singing the praises of pioneer).
    I don't love that I have to physically open and close the tray for the verification cycle (instead of the automated trays of the internal burners) - but I'm happy that it works!
    I HOPE that will solve your mystery!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Urgh. That sucks.

Thanks in advance!
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BN65PZS9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have not tried those discs. I'm not even familiar with the name! Do they have a good history?
    Probably not the issue, but- I was having discs act crazy and I realized I had two programs open and BOTH were trying to access the disc at the same time.
    (So while IMGBURN was burning, DVDFAB was trying to read the disc!). I'm sure that's not your issue, but just be aware of it!
    I assume bd25 burn fine? And does the unpleasantness ALWAYS start around the layer break?
    I can't guarantee that a pioneer will solve the issue - but I kept banging my head against a wall until I just gave in and tried it- and it worked. (MANY people on MAKEMKV forums and IMGBURN forums were singing the praises of pioneer).
    I don't love that I have to physically open and close the tray for the verification cycle (instead of the automated trays of the internal burners) - but I'm happy that it works!
    I HOPE that will solve your mystery!
    If I burn BD25, no problem at all. And if I burn a BD50, the burning process is fine, even the verification says it was fine. The problem comes when I play the disc on my Panasonic standalone blu-ray player connected to my TV, as when the layer change comes, it stops and skips some seconds/minutes. After burning the disc several times (it depends on luck), one of the discs burnt plays just fine when the change comes. There is no reason why sometimes the burning process plays fine on my Panasonic UB450 player, and sometimes not. And it can't be the Panasonic player, as I changed it during all this mess from a Sony X700.

About the Buffalo discs, I have just found them on Amazon.jp. It's where I find them cheaper (strange but true), and apart from Verbatim, there are only Rytek and Buffalo. Also Panasonic, but they are veeeeery expensive.

Best regards and thanks for everything!
    Last edited by ernnnn; 9th May 2023 at 13:30.
    Quote Quote  
  6. hi as of today what bluray player runs xl r/rw 100gb discs?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by Brazyl21 View Post
    hi as of today what bluray player runs xl r/rw 100gb discs?
    There are no new players in the market currently that can play all 100gb discs.

Panasonic UB450 will work fine if the data size is more than 66gb.
    Sony X700, X800, X800M2 will play if the data size is less than 66gb.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Oppo 203 will play 100GB discs (+ or - 66GB).

EDIT- I recant. It WILL play burned BDXL. But it does not like them. I HAVE watched burned BDXL all the way through with no issues....only to have the disc not load a month later. So it really is too twitchy to say it works.
    Last edited by C.C. 95; 7th Jul 2023 at 05:35.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by C.C. 95 View Post
    Oppo 203 will play 100GB discs (+ or - 66GB)
    Oppo read full 100gb bd xl on 100%?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yep. I burned a perfect ISO copy of the Kino Lorber Invasion of the Body Snatchers (100GB disc) to a BD-100 XL.
    Caveat- sometimes the Oppo needs a few tries to load the disc. But once it does it plays fine- extras and everything.

EDIT- The burn is good. But I have come to the conclusion that it's true that the oppo really does not like bd XL. It will work, sometimes. play all the way through.
    But then later, it may not load at all.
    Last edited by C.C. 95; 7th Jul 2023 at 05:38.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by C.C. 95 View Post
    Yep. I burned a perfect ISO copy of the Kino Lorber Invasion of the Body Snatchers (100GB disc) to a BD-100 XL.
    Caveat- sometimes the Oppo needs a few tries to load the disc. But once it does it plays fine- extras and everything.

1. ok but can it be bd rw or just bd r?

2. can you expand the recording you are recording iso not bdmv and certificate?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Brazyl21 View Post

1. I have a Ritek 100GB BD-RW. have never had anything burn successfully on it. Maybe just a bad disc? Dunno. So I can't really answer that question about Rewritable 100GB Disc working or not.

2. Steps that I used to successfully burn and play a BDXL 100.
    *Burner: LG WH16NS60 Mdisc connected by USB 2.0
    Ripped 90GB movie with MakeMKV backup.
    Burned with IMGburn 2x UDP 2.60 with verification.
    Disc: VERBATIM Mdisc 100GB BDXL (5 pack jewel case box)
    No pauses, stutters or freezes in playback. Perfect 1:1 copy played on Oppo 203.
    burning the same film again with
    1) Verbatim non-Mdisc 100GB BDXL
    2) Non- Verbatim (cheaper off brand) 100GB BDXL
    ...also successful.
    HDR and DOLBY VISION remained intact as well.

*I have since switched burners. LG is just too unreliable. Continuing failures on layer breaks with BD-DL. I now use a Pioneer BDR-XD08UMB-S.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search PM

1. I have a Ritek 100GB BD-RW. have never had anything burn successfully on it. Maybe just a bad disc? Dunno. So I can't really answer that question about Rewritable 100GB Disc working or not.

No pauses, stutters or freezes in playback. Perfect 1:1 copy played on Oppo 203.
    ...also successful.

*I have since switched burners. LG is just too unreliable. Continuing failures on layer breaks with BD-DL. I now use a Pioneer BDR-XD08UMB-S.
    Since I changed to that burner, and using Ritek discs, 99% success rate. Almost 200 discs burnt with no issue.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Excellent.
    I still have my LG and ASUS burners. I'll use those if I'm doing BD-25. But anything dual layer or above - only the Pioneer.
    So glad I got that. Was getting tired of Asus and LG failing on BD-50s. (I always use BD-50 RE to test burn first , so no coasters- but that's still 3 hours of wasted time per burn!)
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by C.C. 95 View Post
    Excellent.
    I still have my LG and ASUS burners. I'll use those if I'm doing BD-25. But anything dual layer or above - only the Pioneer.
    So glad I got that. Was getting tired of Asus and LG failing on BD-50s. (I always use BD-50 RE to test burn first , so no coasters- but that's still 3 hours of wasted time per burn!)

Disc verbatim and verbatim burner are ok?
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have no experience with Verbatim burners, sorry. Verbatim discs are fine.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search PM
    Excellent.

Disc verbatim and verbatim burner are ok?
    If burning double or triple layer discs, I would not recommend neither of them. I have been using them and I had a 50% failure rate. The burning process finishes fine, but when you play the disc on your TV player, it freezes when the layer change comes. So nop, Pioneer drives and Ritek discs, aka Buffalo.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Once you are doing 50GB or 100GB - I wouldn't use anything other than a Pioneer
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah, I came across that thread a while back- I have never employed the method. Does it work for you?
    Quote Quote  
  20. Yes, it does. And it avoids the failure rate ernnn reports above. Burn slowly using spare areas avoids all that trouble. The method reads back sectors while burning and if the burned sector is bad it will be written in the spare areas. There are 2 areas per layer. One at the beginnig of the layer and one at the end of the layer.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Appreciate the info and the testimonial! I'll give it a try on my next BD-100 burn!
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by C.C. 95 View Post

...also successful.

On this method sony x700 too read bd xl 100gb or only oppo ?
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by Brazyl21 View Post

...also successful.

On this method sony x700 too read bd xl 100gb or only oppo ?
    The burning methods/ burning hardware requirements are additional to the uhd player hardware requirements. Sony won't play discs > 66gb. Only panasonic ub450 plays discs > 66gb 100% and looks like oppo 203 plays most of the time. Only external burners connected through usb should be used.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My months long adventures with OPPO 203 and 100GB BDXL suggests: Don't use them.
    Even when I only use 66GB or below it tends to be an issue. *keep in mind this COULD be the discs themselves- and I got a bad batch.
    But recent tests with burning to only two layers was not great either. It's like my Oppo just does not like BDXL discs- whether burned to 3 layers OR 2!
    I had success earlier, but a month later, that disc refused to load.
    As much as I would love for this to work it's becoming too much of a hassle.
    I'll take the bitrate hit, and author down to BD50 That I KNOW will work.
    I'll keep doing attempts here and there, in case I am missing something in the process- But I have damn near tried everything to make it work. (With BDXL)
    Quote Quote  
  25. interesting topic, ... I have one basic (newbie) question.

I see 50GB DL discs and 100GB XL discs for sale all over the place

where does one find 66GB discs that are mentioned upthread?
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    As far as I know- there no commercially available 66GB BDs.
    Quote Quote  
  27. so why was there all this discussion of "66 GB discs"?
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by billmich88888 View Post
    where does one find 66GB discs that are mentioned upthread?
    The official Blu-ray standard for dual-layer media, which covers both burned and pressed media, doesn't provide a 66GB option. The maximum capacity allowed for dual layer Blu-ray by that standard is 50 GB for both burned and pressed media.The official UHD Blu-ray standard allows 66GB dual layer discs but only covers pressed media at this time. It contain no provisions for UHD Blu-ray on burned media. I surmise that is the reason why 66GB capacity discs are only available as pressed UHD Blu-ray media.

so why was there all this discussion of "66 GB discs"?
    66 GB discs are common for pressed UHD Blu-ray. The UHD Blu-ray movies that we buy on physical media are pressed discs.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 24th Aug 2023 at 10:15.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    so why was there all this discussion of "66 GB discs"?
    maybe you are thinking about the discussions about how people are using 100GB BDXLs as ersatz 66GB discs by only burning to the first two layers. (Only utilizing 66GB of the disc).
    Quote Quote