VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi to all, Have been reading these forums for a while but this is my first post!

I've only just got a G5 Dual 1.8 and it rocks!

Some Questions I have are

1) What is the Longest Part of the DVD copying process?
    I've alreday used DVDbackup and it doesn't take much time (a couple of hours at most to rip a DVD to my HD

2) I've been told that you can shrink any sized DVD when using DVD2ONEX is this true and what side affects are there for having a big DVD ie >6GB?

3) I've read that many people use different apps like MTR or DVD backup if I want to copy the whole DVD what app should I be using?

4) Might link in to the above question but why if you can don't people copy all the features on a DVD?

Thanks for any help!
    "Something Funny"
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,
    I'm a pc user so I can't help on the other questions. But, people sometimes skip the extras for quality reasonse. The less you have to compress the better the main movie will look. If you remove up to a 1/3 or more of the main disc (extras take up space) than you can concentrate on increasing the quality of the movie.

Kevin
    P.S. Sometimes it's not noticeable if there are few features but some just want to pop in the disc and autoplay (why waste time with fancy menus and features if you don't want them?)
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks for the info Yoda, anyone else with any answers?
    "Something Funny"
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by a_10
    1) What is the Longest Part of the DVD copying process?
    I've alreday used DVDbackup and it doesn't take much time (a couple of hours at most to rip a DVD to my HD

3) I've read that many people use different apps like MTR or DVD backup if I want to copy the whole DVD what app should I be using?

4) Might link in to the above question but why if you can don't people copy all the features on a DVD?
    For me, the longest part is the DVD2OneX step. I have an older PowerBook with a 667MHz G4 so its the processor thats the bottleneck. It also used to take me an hour to burn a full DVD but I upgraded to an 8x burner recently so it takes six minutes now.

I use MacTheRipper and YadeX. MTR is great for whole disc ripping, as it is exceptionally fast, even on my slow laptop. MTR has other functionality (ripping by title set, by chapter) and they work fine. I use YadeX for ripping by chapter or title set because I can get down to the cell level, if I want, and maintain audio sync. Go with the ripper that feels more intuitive to you, but by all means, give up DVDBackup. It's old and slow and probably no longer being updated (the developer had some serious issues with the developers of DVD2OneX -- long story).

I tend to not copy the extra features on a DVD because sometimes they are boring or crappy, or their value is gone after one viewing. I buy DVDs for the movie itself, not to see highly compensated actors flub their lines repeatedly. If I find some extras worth keeping, I'll actually make an SVCD of them.
    Quote Quote  
  5. AntnyMD you say you rip a DVD (ie copy iot to your HD) in 6 mins unsing DVD2oneX? I'm going to stop using DVDBack up then!
    "Something Funny"
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    AntnyMD you say you rip a DVD (ie copy iot to your HD) in 6 mins unsing DVD2oneX? I'm going to stop using DVDBack up then!
    DVD2OneX isn't a ripper, it's only an encoder. DVDBackup is now old and outdated, try using MacTheRipper or yadeX, like AntnyMD suggested. Both of those a more current rippers and better handle DVDs.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    AntnyMD you say you rip a DVD (ie copy iot to your HD) in 6 mins unsing DVD2oneX?
    No.

It takes me about six minutes (and change) to BURN an 8x DVD-R.
    Quote Quote  
  8. What media do you use?

I'm thinking about buying some DVD-R but only about 10 or so I don't want to buy a huge amount and then find out they're crap
    "Something Funny"
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The 8x media I've used is Verbatim. I am still a user of 2x TDK media since I can get it for $1 per disc in bulk. I use Apple 4x media from time to time, but at 2 dollars a pop, I use Apple only when in a pinch and need media right away.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a G5 2.0 dualie with 1 GB RAM...and it rocks! I got one of the first ones shipped last October and it has been problem free out of the box.

I run MTR2 for the ripping and it takes ~ 10 minutes or less for an extraction. I usually don't save the xtras for the reasons cited by others.

Compression via DVD2OneX takes ~ 4-6 minutes and burning via Toast 6 takes about 15-20 minutes depending on the media.

Verbatim (movie reel) has been hit and miss...about 1/3 coasters. Memorex about the same. Apple-branded have been perfect. I just bought some printable ones from Shop4Tech in bulk but have not burned enough of them for a valid evaluation.

I have imported some stuff via Tivo into iMovie then burned using iDVD or Toast. If you use the iLife package make sure you've updated to 10.3.5 first, then update the iLife modules.
    Merlin Macuser
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by AntnyMD
    The 8x media I've used is Verbatim. I am still a user of 2x TDK media since I can get it for $1 per disc in bulk. I use Apple 4x media from time to time, but at 2 dollars a pop, I use Apple only when in a pinch and need media right away.
    where do you get your 2x TDK from if I may ask...I've been trying to find a good place to get some, as I only have 2x burner(a04)
    Friends don't let friends use Windows!

Elisha Cuthbert is so a total schorchcake!!
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by tWoSour
    where do you get your 2x TDK from if I may ask...I've been trying to find a good place to get some, as I only have 2x burner(a04)
    I go back and forth between Staples, and J&R Music World.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Best Buy will sell the spindles of 25 for as low as $25.00, about every 4 to 6 weeks.

I've also had great success with the Movie Reel Verbatim's, which Best Buy has also sells, periodically, for less than $25.00 for a spindle of 25.
    I've burned approximately 75 with only 1 bad one and that one was my mistake.[/b]
    Quote Quote