VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello. I'm new to video editing and have a basic question. I have a whole lot of old Video8 and mini-DV videotapes I recorded, and I'd like to transfer them into digital files that I can edit on Final Cut Pro (once I learn how to edit) and post on YouTube for example. My understanding is that you can capture the video into a digital format using a video-editing software such as Final Cut Pro, or another option would be to do the capturing using a device such as the Cloner Alliance Box Pro or the ClearClick Video Capture Box which I found on Amazon. Which method/equipment/software would you recommend for doing the capture? What are the pros and cons of doing the capture inside Final Cut Pro vs using a device such as Cloner Alliance Box Pro or a similar device?

Thanks in advance!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    miniDV is already digital, you just need to transfer it to computer using firewire port (aka iLink), Final cut pro is not a main capture program, capturing is just a side function of it. Analog tapes should be captured with Vdub or AmarecTV on a windows machine and best under Windows 7, None of the stand alone capture boxes you mentioned is recommended, Those are chinese crap.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the reply, dellsam34! You recommended I do the capture on a Windows machine. My computer is a mac with Catalina operating system -- is that going to be a barrier or big problem for me to do the capturing?
    Quote Quote