VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I own this HC3 camcorder for almost 2 years and I never had any issue. Yesterday I found out that when trying to transfer some videos to my PC via firewire, the PC does not recognize the camcorder. Mybe this happened as a result of connecting the firewire cable first to the camcorder and then to the PC when it should've been done the other way as static can burn the camcorder's port.The cable, the PC's firewire port and Windows are all OK since I tested with other firewire devices I have (an external hard drive). I also tested with another PC and with other cables without success. So it seems the firewire port in the camcorder is dead. The camcorder is out of warranty and Sony charges a ridiculous $540 plus tax and shipping for the repair. So, I was thinking in the following options:
    1) A cheap HDV MiniDV separate player deck to be used only for transferring my video to PC or for TV viewing? (no need for those expensive ones with LCD screens for viewing, etc)
    2) A place other than Sony that will repair this without ripping me off?
    3) A do-it-yourself repair of the firewire port?
    4) The camcorder has an HDMI port. Maybe use that port to transfer the video to the PC with a HDMI cable+adapter? I assume this is not possible and transfer can only be done through the firewire port?
    Thanks for any ideas.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    it may not be blown...rather the pins just bent
    this will require you to look carefully under a magnifying glass at both male and female firewire connections
    if any pins are bent, stop using the cable as it may be the cable that's bending them....as in my case...and try another cable

my cam pins were bent when stumbling around in the dark when even a simple candle would have worked but avoided any charge with my 4 year warranty
    Quote Quote  
  3. zoobie, I did take a close look at the firewire port of the HC3. It's almost impossible to bend any of the pins as they are encapsulated/protected by a plastic shell. It's not like an IDE hard drive for example that the pins are exposed. Also, I did not force anything when hooking the cable, it just sits smoothly into it. And as I mentioned above, I did try two other cables I have without success.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm just saying to make absolutely positive any pins aren't bent before proceeding. It's very easy to mess them up...trust me on this one.

as far as decks go, I think they're pretty expensive...perhaps rent one?

you can cap from the HDMI port but it's uncompressed, huge, and needs hardware to setup...but an option nevertheless

I don't think I'd mess with the do-it-yourself method...this is a high-tech piece of equipment
    for example, if a spring suddenly pops out, you're totally screwed
    Quote Quote  
  5. Yes, I'm not discarding that possibility, but as I said they aren't even visible, they are covered by a protective plastic.
    Yes, decks are pretty expensive from what I searched. The cheapest I found is this one:
    http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&stor...52921665192187
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000V3NU3A/ref=nosim/?tag=pricegrabber2-elect-20&creative=380...A&linkCode=asn

but it has more features than I need like LCD screen, editing functions, etc. I'm looking for a bare player deck that will only serve to transfer via ilink or display in a monitor.I will search non Sony brands, or maybe the guys at B&H can recommend one. I do have a Hi8 deck which I bought from Sony in 1992 for $500 so I don't see why I can't find a simple deck like this in the $200 to $500 range. For what decks I've seen cost I'm better off buying a new HDV camcorder. And I found these two among the cheapest:
    http://www.butterflyphoto.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=HV20&cm_mmc=PriceGrabber-_-Canon-_...c=83&zmap=HV20
    http://www.bestpriceaudiovideo.com/catalog/125/5993/?zmam=1962870&zmas=1&zmac=5&zmap=5993
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    if you go with a new hd cam it probably should be by the same manufacturer, as all hd recorded to minidv tape is not the same.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by alegator
    I do have a Hi8 deck which I bought from Sony in 1992 for $500 so I don't see why I can't find a simple deck like this in the $200 to $500 range.
    $500 in 1992 is about $1000 in 2008 and that's for an analog, standard definition format. You're looking for the rugged benefits of a deck (over a camcorder) that is hi-def digital. Decks are nearly always more expensive than their camcorder brethren.

Your best option is either to get a used HDV camcorder off eBay - but expect to pay more than $500 unless it is being auctioned as faulty - or to pay Sony the $540. BTW, the $540 is a flat rate charge. It sucks for consumer camcorders but is beneficial for prosumer ones.

Unless you can find a damaged HDV camcorder on eBay that plays tapes okay via the FireWire, Sony are your most viable option. One benefit is that the entire camcorder will be thoroughly checked and service - heads cleaned, transport mechanism lubed etc.

I feel for you though. My Sony PDX-10 died recently. After weighing up the pros and cons, I decided to get an HDV camcorder off eBay rather than repair a now out-of-date MiniDV camcorder.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I always wondered what would happen if you bought a cheapo Mack warranty for used cams, waited 6 weeks, then sent in your broken cam.
    They can't be that dumb...but I can
    Quote Quote