VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. It plays PAL tapes fine but NTSC tapes is recognized as PAL60 and SECAM tapes is recognized as PAL.

I can't find the operating manual but I did find the service manual.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    That's because it's a PAL VCR.....nothing more.
    Quote Quote  
  3. No. It's a multi system vcr like Panasonic AG W1.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by digicube View Post
    No. It's a multi system vcr like Panasonic AG W1.
    No. It's a PAL VCR.
    You see the price of a REFURBISHED Panasonic AG W1?
    http://www.porterelectronics.com/panasonic-ag-w1-vhs-world-wide-hi-fi-vhs-vcr-recorder/
    $549.99
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM

Nowhere in that review are the words "convert" (between PAL, NTSC, SECAM) or "World-Wide".

You don't listen:
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/382377-How-to-tell-a-PAL-and-SECAM-VHS-signal-apart...=1#post2476096
    Quote Quote  
  6. But it is a multi system VCR that can play NTSC, PAL and SECAM tapes. It does the same thing as Panasonic AG-W1.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    It does the same thing as Panasonic AG-W1.
    No it doesn't.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Both Hitachi VT-F99EM and Panasonic AG-W1 can play NTSC, PAL, SECAM tapes.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    So does every PAL VCR on the planet.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    Can someone in Europe verify this? All PAL VCRs can play NTSC, PAL, SECAM tapes. This is news to me.

Anyway so there is still the question, what causes a PAL VCR to no longer play NTSC, SECAM tapes when it once can?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    Can someone in Europe verify this? All PAL VCRs can play NTSC, PAL, SECAM tapes. This is news to me.

Anyway so there is still the question, what causes a PAL VCR to no longer play NTSC, SECAM tapes when it once can?
    I am in Europe(PAL). Been here for almost 13 years. Grew up in America(NTSC).
    Just captured some PAL60(NTSC tape in a PAL VCR) today.Click image for larger version

Name:	pal60.jpg
Views:	362
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	40635
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    You answered your own question.
    It plays PAL tapes fine but NTSC tapes is recognized as PAL60 and SECAM tapes is recognized as PAL.
    Quote Quote  
  13. NTSC when played as PAL60 only plays in black and white, same goes for SECAM when played as PAL. This is what my Hitachi VT-F99EM is doing. I'm connecting it to ADVC110.
    Quote Quote  
  14. It sounds like you are not familiar with Hitachi VT-F99EM Multi System VHS VCR, it has indicators for MESECAM, PAL60, PAL, NTSC 4.43, NTSC 3.58. It display these indicators when it detects them. An American tape should be detected as NTSC 3.58, French SECAM tapes should be detected as MESECAM.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hitachi.JPG
Views:	1250
Size:	578.3 KB
ID:	40639  

Last edited by digicube; 20th Feb 2017 at 14:32.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Everything this "Hitachi VT-F99EM Multi System VHS VCR" is doing is exactly what every PAL VCR on the planet does.
    PAL VCRs DO NOT CONVERT between NTSC and PAL or between different flavors of SECAM.
    You wasted your money because you do not listen.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    Everything this "Hitachi VT-F99EM Multi System VHS VCR" is doing is exactly what every PAL VCR on the planet does.
    PAL VCRs DO NOT CONVERT between NTSC and PAL or between different flavors of SECAM.
    You wasted your money because you do not listen.
    I wasn't expecting it to convert different signals but I was expecting it to decode different signals. This VCR is not decoding NTSC and SECAM tapes anymore. You don't understand how this machine functions. Here is the service manual for Hitachi VT-F99EM, read the specifications.
    Image Attached Thumbnails hitachi_vt-f99em_no.4621e.pdf  

Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I wasn't expecting it to convert different signals but I was expecting it to decode different signals. This VCR is not decoding NTSC and SECAM tapes anymore. You don't understand how this machine functions. Here is the service manual for Hitachi VT-F99EM, read the specifications.
    What are you talking about?...."decode"? What the hell is that supposed to mean?

An NTSC tape, in a PAL machine, is output as PAL60(exactly what the Hitachi is doing). This PAL60 signal CAN BE viewed on a PAL television in color, but is VERY DIFFICULT to capture in color AND will show up as Black And White on an NTSC television.
    A French SECAM L tape will ONLY play in Black and White on a PAL VCR. Even a PAL VCR with MESECAM playback abilities.
    I understand perfectly how this machine functions, I have two PAL VCRs right here in front of my keyboard, right next to my computer monitor.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by hech54 View Post

What are you talking about?...."decode"? What the hell is that supposed to mean?

An NTSC tape, in a PAL machine, is output as PAL60(exactly what the Hitachi is doing). This PAL60 signal CAN BE viewed on a PAL television in color, but is VERY DIFFICULT to capture in color AND will show up as Black And White on an NTSC television.
    A French SECAM L tape will ONLY play in Black and White on a PAL VCR. Even a PAL VCR with MESECAM playback abilities.
    I understand perfectly how this machine functions, I have two PAL VCRs right here in front of my keyboard, right next to my computer monitor.
    It means Hitachi VT-F99EM can play NTSC and SECAM tapes in FULL COLOR. Can your PAL VCRs do the same?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    It means Hitachi VT-F99EM can play NTSC and SECAM tapes in FULL COLOR.
    That's not what I said. Read it again.

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well a service manual is hardly going to help you.

The 'spec' does mention various outputs. Possibly only over the RF output into a suitable tv.

I do not know about a ADVC110. My ADVC300 can, theoretically, accept PAL,NTSC and SECAM input. Yet all inputs must be 'pure'. That is to say not NTSC over PAL ie PAL60. NTSC and SECAM will appear as B&W from a PAL vcr.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by hech54 View Post

That's not what I said. Read it again.

I got what you said but I'm telling you this Hitachi VT-F99EM is different than a regular PAL VCR, it is Multi System. It supposed to detect American NTSC tapes as NTSC 3.58 and French SECAM tapes as MESECAM as the indicators on the VCR indicates. And it can play them in FULL COLOR.

My problem is that this VCR detects an NTSC tape as PAL60 and SECAM tape as PAL. If everything is supposed to play as PAL, what are the other indicators for then?
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hitachi.JPG
Views:	199
Size:	578.3 KB
ID:	40640  

Last edited by digicube; 20th Feb 2017 at 14:43.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    BTW is this the first time you have used this vcr?

In the past, any vcr that has been powered down has to be re-configured. Menu selections etc.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    BTW is this the first time you have used this vcr?

In the past, any vcr that has been powered down has to be re-configured. Menu selections etc.
    Yes first time but I have powered down and reset this VCR. Same problem still exists.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I got what you said but I'm telling you this Hitachi VT-F99EM is different.
    How is that working out so far?

It supposed to detect American NTSC tapes as NTSC 3.58 and French SECAM tapes as MESECAM as the indicators on the VCR indicates
    Detect....not magically make them play in color in NTSC-Land.

And it can play them in FULL COLOR.
    MAYBE on a PAL television(and only for VIEWING....NOT capturing or recording)....but certainly not on NTSC equipment.
    PAL on an NTSC television is Black And White.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I've said it before and I'll say it again....PAL (especially VHS) in the U.S. is a hole that you pour time, money and tears into.
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/382374-Importing-European-VCR-from-Europe?p=2476468...=1#post2476468
    Quote Quote  
  26. Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    How is that working out so far?
    Badly. What does this tell you about your listening skills?

It supposed to detect American NTSC tapes as NTSC 3.58 and French SECAM tapes as MESECAM as the indicators on the VCR indicates
    Detect....not magically make them play in color in NTSC-Land.
    I'm not in NTSC land. My ADVC110 accepts NTSC, PAL, SECAM inputs.

MAYBE on a PAL television(and only for VIEWING....NOT capturing or recording)....but certainly not on NTSC equipment.
    PAL on an NTSC television is Black And White.
    I'm not using any standard signal equipment. I use a ADVC110, it accepts NTSC, PAL, SECAM inputs. Hitachi VT-F99EM should be playing NTSC and SECAM tapes in FULL COLOR through it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Not sure if you understood what I was saying. Connect the vcr to a tv (if you can) and go through the menu options. You might also be able to see the menus in your capture window. There may be something there about output.

But assume you are connecting the vcr to the advc via composite or a scart/composite adapter and that could default since you have a pal-sourced vcr
    Quote Quote  
  28. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Not sure if you understood what I was saying. Connect the vcr to a tv (if you can) and go through the menu options. You might also be able to see the menus in your capture window. There may be something there about output.

But assume you are connecting the vcr to the advc via composite or a scart/composite adapter and that could default since you have a pal-sourced vcr
    Thank you. After going through the menu while a tape is playing, I manage to display it in FULL COLOR. This is why an operating manual is so useful.
    Last edited by digicube; 20th Feb 2017 at 15:07.
    Quote Quote