VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I need to transfer either mpg or avi files to a VCR.
    The VCR has both regular (yellow RCA jack) and S-Video inputs.
    My question is how to connect those jacks to my computer?

I have a Hauppauge 850 input device to record from VCR to computer but do not know how to reverse the process.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Perhaps the simplest way is to create a DVD from the files and then copy from DVD to tape
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by wfo View Post

I have a Hauppauge 850 input device to record from VCR to computer but do not know how to reverse the process.
    The ports on a Hauppauge 850 are one-way. You would need to use S-Video out or composite-out from your computer's video card, but that sort of TV-out feature hasn't been common for over a decade. Adding it today could be difficult.

Don't use a computer. As suggested, you could author a DVD from the files with AVStoDVD or another video to DVD converter and record the output from your DVD player as you play the DVD.

You could also put them on a USB flash drive and record from the analog A/V out from an inexpensive media player. The Micca Speck G2 is one example.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 13th Mar 2016 at 12:45. Reason: clarity
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    maybe pvr 350? but it not works in 64 bits i guess.

or you can buy one hdmi to composite , i think i see them for 15 dollars in ebay
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for your replies - the copy to DVD will not work in my case as the mpg files are too large for a DVD. Need to go directly to a VCR and onto VHS 2 hour tape.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Then use a media plyer/USB stick as usually_quiet has already mentioned
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by godai View Post
    or you can buy one hdmi to composite , i think i see them for 15 dollars in ebay
    I would only suggest that as a a last resort. Many of those converters have problems with scaling and don't provide good picture quality. VHS quality is bad enough without making it worse.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for your replies - the copy to DVD will not work in my case as the mpg files are too large for a DVD. Need to go directly to a VCR and onto VHS 2 hour tape.
    Not really a valid reason not to go this route.

If the mpeg is gonna fit on a 2-hout VHS tape then you author a 2-hour dvd. Quality still better than what will end up on that tape.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post

If the mpeg is gonna fit on a 2-hout VHS tape then you author a 2-hour dvd. Quality still better than what will end up on that tape.
    I tried this route but the DVD quality was only 47% - - too low to be useful. Thanks for responding
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Originally Posted by godai View Post
    I would only suggest that as a a last resort. Many of those converters have problems with scaling and don't provide good picture quality. VHS quality is bad enough without making it worse.
    probably just like hdmi splitters , i have one component to hdmi and works great. portta brand , and looks like its a good brand, they have hdmi splitter and it do passthroug hdcp, not personal experiende but after reading some reviews on amazon.

yeap vhs its pretty bad quality
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM

I tried this route but the DVD quality was only 47% - - too low to be useful. Thanks for responding
    Oh well....time to get a BIG box and send your computer in the mail instead of a VHS tape.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Have no idea how you came to this 47% number. And if you are transferring this video to tape, quality is obviously not a priority. So I'm not sure what the hold up is.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    I found the DVD route is kind of silly just my opinion, I personally use HDMI to S-video/Composite/Audio converter the problem you will encounter with this type of converters is the interlacing process creates frame tearing I did everything I could to get rid of the problem with no success so I would not attempt this approach, You have left with 2 options, 1- Use a media player that has s-video/composite/audio output and hope you will not get the above problem, 2- Use audio receiver if you have one and input the HDMI signal into the receiver and output to VCR from s-video/composite/audio, Audio receivers usually have a good video processing circuitry hope you will not get the tearing problem.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Actually, we don't know what video connections the OP has available on his video card. His computer details are "Windows XP pro" and he is using a USB TV tuner/capture device. For all we know he could have an older laptop with only VGA out. That being said, VGA to composite/S-Video converters also have problems with scaling and picture quality.
    Quote Quote  
  15. HDMI scaling issue can be avoided if 720x576p mode will be selected on HDMI.
    Easiest way - old graphics card with CVBS/S-Video output, some of them are available even on PCIe, also older notebooks are equipped with such output. Of course there is large number of the video output devices capable to do USB2/USB3 to CVBS/S-Video.
    Last edited by pandy; 14th Mar 2016 at 02:36.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Maybe the OP should explain why he needs to do this.

And whatever method he choses (dvd is STILL the preferred option - do dual-layer if 47% is not acceptable) there will be disappointment when the final output is reviewed.

Resolution of VHS does not even get close to 576(480)I. So that is going to result in blurry video. Or in other words, you will not get out what you put in.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Resolution of VHS does not even get close to 576(480)I. So that is going to result in blurry video. Or in other words, you will not get out what you put in.
    Well it will be bellow 352 pixels in line... VHS Y bandwidth is bellow 3MHz i.e. 720 pixels bandwidth is 13.5MHz/2=6.75MHz as such (3MHz/6.75MHz)*720=320pixels with assumption that everything is perfect, chrominance bandwidth is even more reduced and equal to 400kHz so pixel resolution is: (0.4MHz/3.375MHz)*360=less than 43pixels (assumption is 4:2:2(0) encoding where chrominance bandwidth is reduced by half).
    352x576(480)i is perfectly in-line with DVD standard and 2 hour should be feasible (but instead DVD any multimedia player capable to play from USB should be fine - not sure how much it cost but i believe that nowadays somewhere around 20$ and i would not expect any converter cheaper than this and quality of digital video encoder is sufficiently good - probably can match older broadcast quality)
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks to all who responded to my issue. I have resolved it.
    My previous method used to create a DVD with 90 minutes of program resulted in a disk with very low quality - fuzzy and blurry images.
    I found that "DVD Flick" managed to put the same 90 minutes an a DVD with virtually no reduction in quality.
    This allowed me to copy the DVD into the VCR and create a usable VHS tape!
    Quote Quote  
  19. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Thanks to all who responded to my issue. I have resolved it.
    My previous method used to create a DVD with 90 minutes of program resulted in a disk with very low quality - fuzzy and blurry images.
    I found that "DVD Flick" managed to put the same 90 minutes an a DVD with virtually no reduction in quality.
    This allowed me to copy the DVD into the VCR and create a usable VHS tape!
    I thought your question was how to connect the computer to the VCR not how to create a DVD format file otherwise I could have suggested other nice programs such as multiAVCHD which accepts a variety of formats and convert them to Blu-ray/AVCHD/DVD.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM

My initial question was how to transfer mpg video from computer to vhs tape. As the discussion progressed, it was suggested I use s-video from the computer or copy to DVD then go from DVD player to the VCR. My first attempt at the DVD route resulted in much loss of quality. Using DVD Flick resolved the copy quality issue.

Thanks again to all who helped!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    DVD Flick is 'ok' but the success of creating a quality dvd is down to bitrate, filtering and the encoder.

Most of us have got more than acceptable results from avstodvd and since the program is well supported by the author direct within these forums you are not far away from help.

You never did explain what you meant by the ambigious remark '47%' or what program you used or even how you used it. There are a lot of dvd creation softwares out there and some are better than others.

DVD Flick worked for you this time. It may not, for all sorts of reasons next time. Just bear other programs in mind.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by wfo View Post

Hi there,

You could try something like this

http://www.miniinthebox.com/vga-to-s-video-3-rca-av-adapter-converter-extension-cable-..._p3432113.html

This is a VGA to composite video, left & right audio, and s-video connectors. You will also find ones with DVI to the same connections, or s-video. And VGA to component.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    DVD Flick is 'ok' but the success of creating a quality dvd is down to bitrate, filtering and the encoder.

Most of us have got more than acceptable results from avstodvd and since the program is well supported by the author direct within these forums you are not far away from help.

You never did explain what you meant by the ambigious remark '47%' or what program you used or even how you used it. There are a lot of dvd creation softwares out there and some are better than others.

DVD Flick worked for you this time. It may not, for all sorts of reasons next time. Just bear other programs in mind.
    The program was Pinnacle Studio 11 which reduced the quality level to 47% in order to fit the DVD. Studio works great if program is 67 minutes or less. I can edit the file then burn the DVD.
    As to your AVStoDVD, I tried it and after waiting thru encoding, It told me the file was too big for a DVD. So for now I have a workable solution with DVD-Flick.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM

As to your AVStoDVD, I tried it and after waiting thru encoding, It told me the file was too big for a DVD. So for now I have a workable solution with DVD-Flick.
    That is odd. I know that I have been able to use AVStoDVD to put 2 hours of video, and maybe more on DVD5 without problems. Are you sure you didn't have AVStoDVD set up for DVD9?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    As I said, if you had such an issue you only had to ask.

The program is quite user-friendly but I guess if you played around with the bitrate eq set it at 8000 kbps for s-layer whereas 90 mins is approx. 6000 kbps, the program would complain. Even so, it will tell you if you exceed the size even before you start the encode - there is a size bar at the bottom of the screen.

Never used Pinnacle so that may be making its own adjustments but, again, these things can be over-ridden with a little knowledge.

I think DVD-Flick attempts to fill the disk so sets a bitrate accordingly. But I do not know the quality of its encoder. It could come unstuck with other files if you have mixed sources.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by VHSRules View Post

Hi there,

You could try something like this

http://www.miniinthebox.com/vga-to-s-video-3-rca-av-adapter-converter-extension-cable-..._p3432113.html

This is a VGA to composite video, left & right audio, and s-video connectors. You will also find ones with DVI to the same connections, or s-video. And VGA to component.
    That is not a VGA to video converter it is just a cable breakout for some devices, You cannot convert VGA to s-video without a chip and a power source.
    Quote Quote