VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    So have you tried to connect the VCR to a tv with the cable?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Oh. Hold on.

That software is some 12 years old. There is some stuff out there that would not work beyond WinXP.

So even if you have all the connections correct that is another factor why it does not work even if you thought that the drivers were properly installed.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There is a line in the OP that, for me, does not make a lot of sense

"I am installing this......."

Kindly clarify.

Also, assuming that this device will work on your OS you have to follow the installation of the drivers to the letter. And this does vary according to your OS.
    Last edited by DB83; 11th Sep 2018 at 15:23.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by leeuhf View Post
    So here's what's we're working with....
    Most of that looks ok.

It looks like you have the wiring correct: The RCA connectors are connected yellow to yellow, red to red, white to white. Note, yellow is composite video. Red and White are line level stereo audio.

Are there any markings on the SCART end of the adapter which indicate whether it's for input or output? An arrow? A triangle? Text like "In" or "Out"? Or possibly at the RCA end?

Have you tried capturing from both SCART connectors (one at a time, obviously) while playing a tape?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Oh. Hold on.

That software is some 12 years old. There is some stuff out there that would not work beyond WinXP.

So even if you have all the connections correct that is another factor why it does not work even if you thought that the drivers were properly installed.

yes I was thinking this, I bought the software and need last week and I need to message the seller on Amazon about it
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by leeuhf View Post
    Oh. Hold on.

yes I was thinking this, I bought the software and need last week and I need to message the seller on Amazon about it
    What are the specs on the computer ??
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    Oh. Hold on.

Working on Windows 7 Ultimate.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Back to basics.

You state your tape is one you made yourself with a camcorder. Does it play in the camcorder? It's possible the recording is bad and unable to be played back by the VCR.

Next, as you've been told above, have you tried connecting the VCR to the TV via the RCA plugs? This will confirm that the tape, VCR and cable are working properly. If you don't get a picture, try connecting the VCR with an Scart to Scart cable. It hasn't been established that the tape and VCR are working properly.
    Last edited by lingyi; 12th Sep 2018 at 11:25.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Oh. Hold on.

Does the video grabber software work with Windows 7 ??
    If not try running the software under the windows 7 compatibility mode.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lingyi View Post
    Back to basics.

You state your tape is one you made yourself with a camcorder. Does it play in the camcorder? It's possible the recording is bad and unable to be played back by the VCR.

Next, as you've been told above, have you tried connecting the VCR to the TV via the RCA plugs? This will confirm that the tape, VCR and cable are working properly. If you don't get a picture, try connecting the VCR with an Scart to Scart cable.
    I do not own the camcorder anymore. We are talking about a film put onto a VHS player and yes the video plays on players generally. This is not the only video Im trying. Ive tried various videos here and its the same situation.

Im going to try connect the VCR tonight to the TV. I was away last night so was not able to. I know the VHS DOES work as I saw it working at my friends but that is not to say this brand new lead I bought is not.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Oh. Hold on.

Does the video grabber software work with Windows 7 ??
    If not try running the software under the windows 7 compatibility mode.
    Well it loads, It opens and drivers installed so as you can see by my screen shots its open but as said Im wondering if compatability issues are causing no signal from the VHS player to the software
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    So here's what's we're working with....
    Most of that looks ok.

It looks like you have the wiring correct: The RCA connectors are connected yellow to yellow, red to red, white to white. Note, yellow is composite video. Red and White are line level stereo audio.

Are there any markings on the SCART end of the adapter which indicate whether it's for input or output? An arrow? A triangle? Text like "In" or "Out"? Or possibly at the RCA end?

Have you tried capturing from both SCART connectors (one at a time, obviously) while playing a tape?
    Ive not checked the actual scart lead itself for this, Ill double check tonight for markings.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    [QUOTE=october262;2529089]
    So here's what's we're working with.

have you tried checking for a software update??
    No as the PC isnt on a computer. Its a disk on brand new software I purchased so Im guessing it "should" be the latest
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Oh. Hold on.

Ive contacted the seller to see if this is compatable.

any recommendations on what would certainly work with Win7 Ultimate?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    As I said before and my friend also said, you really must check that the VCR works for you not what you saw. Even so the owner of the VCR should be able to tell you which scart socket you connect the cable in to. This is basic stuff.

And, call me having a senior moment, I still do not understand your statement that this software is not on a PC but on disk. You can not run software straight from a disk. It HAS to be installed.

The software says 'Version 2'. This is NOT the most up-to-date version. The software itself might work. But if the drivers, and they are installed with the software are not appropriate for Win7 and the manual I found only says WinXP it might never work. Also I hope you followed the manual for the installation correctly. Again the manual I read stated that the grabber must NOT be plugged in to your computer when you install the drivers. You only plug it in after a reboot of your computer. Then the computer will see a device plugged in and initialise the found drivers for it. If it does not find drivers it should tell you at that point that drivers do not exist.

You bought this on Amazon ? Must be a private seller then but you can still provide a link for it.

If you insist on getting another grabber there are two that I can suggest. The Hauppauge LiveUSB2 def works for Win7 since I own one. There is also the EZCap116 (avoid anything else that just says easycap) should also work fine.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry. I installed the software FROM the disk I got with the hardware
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry. I installed the software FROM the disk I got with the hardware
    Did the software put an shortcut icon on your desktop ??
    If yes - right click on the icon - click properties - compatibility -
    Slect compatibility mode - run under windows xp.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No it didnt but ill create one
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @october262

The product link provided shows the device is Win 7 compliant:

"Supported operating systems: Microsoft Windows 10, Microsoft Windows® XP (32/64 Bit), Windows® Vista (32/64 Bit), Windows® 7 (32/64 Bit), Windows® 8 (32/64 Bit), Windows® 8.1 (32/64 Bit) | cable length: 15cm | dimensions: 9 x 2,8 x 1,7 cm | weight: 97g (including packaging) / 46g (product only) | scope of delivery: USB 2.0 high speed audio/video grabber + installation-CD"

Doesn't rule out the possibility it wasn't installed correctly though.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    That product definitely isn't an "Honestech Video grabber" as you stated in your initial post. It is from CSL, a company that I have never heard of before.

You bought a cheap generic Chinese product trying to capitalize on an established U.S. company's reputation. The current genuine Honestech capture bundle sells for about three times the price of the one that you bought and for a few years they have been including a VIDBOX USB video capture device with their product.

CSL bundled what looks like a very old version of Honestech's software with a generic cheap EasyCap device. The Honestech software was probably appropriated and modified by third parties (not Honestech) to work with newer versions of Windows and won't receive support of any kind from Honestech.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Since the software is running I doubt it is compatabilty mode issue. And even if it is that would not solve driver issues.

Now I have never heard of CSL. I suspect this is little more than a re-badged easycap. They might have created their own installation program since it claims to run on Win7 and beyond.

But reading the reviews they are certainly mixed and several state they can not get it to work.

£17 is not going to get you much.

But do go through ALL the things which have been discussed more than once.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    We should all get our Doctorate in Dentistry since we've been pulling teeth from the beginning!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Just a word about the scart cable. A quick search on fleabay whether I entered 'scart to composite' right or 'composite to scart' wrong produces the same results.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw=composite+to+scart&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid...scart&_sacat=0

What is noticeable - never seen these but I bought my cables years ago - is that some of the scart plugs, like the adapter type both which are shown on the listing, have the input/output switch so are bi-directional. So if you do have one of those you have to ensure the switch goes the right way. And this has probably already been mentioned here.

But, jeez, it's not rocket science to actually check this by plugging the VCR in to a tv which at the very least proves that the VCR works for you.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Appriciate all your help lads but Im stumped. VHS Deffo plays on the TV, So its deffo not the lead and not the VHS player. GOnna see if I can return this hardware and order a better one
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Still same though no picture. I press play on my VHS player no image appears in the software, Even when I click record it tells me to press play on the VHS player.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The only thing I can think of is Its given me the wrong Drivers for Win 7 ultimate. But I dont even know where to start finding correct drivers for it
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    And, once again for clarity, you installed the drivers BEFORE plugging in the cable to your PC. Then plug it in AFTER a reboot. USB drivers have to be installed in a particular way.
    Quote Quote