VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Software conversion straight to mpeg1 (as with Power VCR) or save as an .avi first (encoded in, say, Mjpeg) and converting?

I must admit, from the testing I did over the weekend, the direct to mpeg1 seems to give better results, except I just cannot get past the way the picture on the TV screen is very small when I've burned my VCD on CD-RW
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Which ever way works best for you.

Small on the TV screen - what do you mean?
    Quote Quote  
  3. direct to mpeg SEEMS to give better results...Going ot .avi seems to result in more dropped frames, and picture/audio synch problems.

By small picture on the screen, I mean when i play back the burned CD-RW on my DVD player(Stand alone, not PC), the picture it produces on the TV screen appears as a small box centred in the screen-i.e-it doesn't fill the entire screen. Maybe thats how it should be, I don't know..I can used the zoom feature on the DVD player, but the quality is very poor and blocky.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Look like you have some problem here. When playing the VCD in the DVD player, the picture should be FULL SCREEN. Small screen generally look good because our eyes can't see the details !!!

If you get dropped frames when capturing to AVI, your PC need some tweaks or you need to change the capture resolution.

Quote Quote  
  5. The problem seems to be a combination of my capture card..It goes by the name of MM100PCTV..which is apparently from Modular Technologies..I followed a link onto their website, and it seems it doesn't like Nvidia graphics caeds..however..I got it running fine yesterday after doing a few tweaks in the Windows file and the registry. Tonight, I tried to get to the bottom of my VCD problem using Power VCR...the capture locked the PC up, after rebooting, the old problems with the capture card have started again.

I think I'm going to give it up as a bad job ;-(
    Quote Quote  
  6. If you are doing things properly, capture to AVI (huffyUV or MJPEG) --> MPEG-1 (using a good encoder like TMPGEnc or Panasonic MPEG Encoder) will yield MUCH better results than capturing straight to MPEG-1.

The only time when the above is not true is if you have a hardware MPEG-1 capture card.

If things are set up right, you don't need a beefy machine to capture at adequate resolutions (e.g., 352x240/288 or 352x480/576) to MJPEG AVI with minimal framedrop. People have done so (using PICVideo's MJPEG codec) with minimal framedrop with hardware specs as low as Celeron 300's and lower on a PC capture card.

Regards.
    Michael Tam
    w: Morsels of Evidence
    Quote Quote  
  7. I agree with vitualis, capturing to AVI using MJPEG codec and then encoding to MPEG1 gives much better results then capturing to MPEG1 directly, unless of course you have a RealTime Hardware Capture Card.
    Email me for faster replies!

Best Regards,
    Sefy Levy,
    Certified Computer Technician.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Thanks guys..I'll give it another go the way you say...
    Quote Quote  
  9. About the full screen. I also get the small box in the middle of the screen with the video. Enlarging it gives poor image quality. What needs to be done?

slobbie
    Quote Quote  
  10. I believe some DVD Players play non-standard or badly encoded (with diffrent settings then the default ones) as that little box on the TV, I would suggest you check all the settings of your encoded file, and let us all know.
    Email me for faster replies!

Best Regards,
    Sefy Levy,
    Certified Computer Technician.
    Quote Quote