VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I have a spare computer monitor and want to play videos (in m2ts format, biggest size 1920 x 1080) stored on a WD HDD with USB3 that takes its power from the connected device (i.e. no plug).

I've tried a couple of media players here in the UK, made by Mypin and Agptek, which don't recognise the HDD but do work with a powered HDD.

Is there a media player that will work with a non powered HDD?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have this: Micca MPLAY Mini (NOT Micca Speck! = POS!)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074DKYT74?tag=mygapa-20

If your usb hdd is 2½", it works fine off this players power.

(edit: with monitor you might need some sort of audio system??)
    Last edited by cornemuse; 27th Feb 2020 at 11:44. Reason: feng shui
    Yes, no, maybe, I don't know, Can you repeat the question?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks. Unfortunately the Micca doesn't seem to available anymore.

Another solution, albeit more expensive, could be to use a cheap Windows 10 mini PC with suitable media player software installed plus an 'Air Mouse'. That way I'm certain to get full HD plus USB3 compatibility. I suppose we are now getting to the prices where a smart TV comes into play which rather deceives my whole objective of using the spare monitor!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    You can always use a Raspberry Pi PC, they're are very good for this.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Get a dual lead USB cable like this: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=dual+usb+cable&ref=nb_sb_noss_1 as the issue is the there's not enough power from the single port on your box, especially if it's USB 2.0. Connect the second plug to a USB power supply for the extra power. You might also try using a powered USB hub between the drive and the box for the extra power.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks again.

I like the idea of a USB Y splitter. My only USB source of power would be the monitor. I'm not clear if the monitor's USB would provide any or enough power (remember the monitor is not attached to a PC). I suppose all I can do is try.

Getting a powered hub means the system will have three powered sources in which case I might as well use the powered HDD. I'm trying to keep it as simple as possible.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The USB ports on the monitor should provide power without being connected to a PC.

I recall reading a long time ago that continually underpowering a USB only powered external drive may cause it to underperform (i.e. slow down) and lead to premature failure. The first thing I've always been told and have found sometimes successful when a 2.5" drive starts acting up (randomly disconnects or fails during read/writes) is to use a Y-cable or external power supply. Even the case can make a difference. I have a USB 3.0 case that requires the Y-cable even with drives that work fine with a single cable in other cases. Also, the larger the drive, the more platters (I think the max is 1TB per platter) and more power is required to properly spin up all the drives. Again, some cases that work fine with <1TB drives, have problems with larger drives.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks. I'll give it a go and report back.

I've tried a 2TB and 4TB self powered drive and neither work.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Doing a test and charging my phone from my Dell 2007FP. Not cable connected from the PC.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    I suggest you Raspberry Pi PC.I am also using that on my monitor.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks. Unfortunately the Micca doesn't seem to available anymore.
    I clicked on link in my post, there it is $49.99. I see you are in fair Albion, maybe you just cant get them there!

FWIW, I emailed micca, sometimes amazon sells them faster than micca can produce them, , , , ,

Try this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=micca+media+player&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

Above has the 'speck'. I would buy any other before the speck!

-c-
    Yes, no, maybe, I don't know, Can you repeat the question?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by lingyi View Post
    The USB ports on the monitor should provide power without being connected to a PC.

I recall reading a long time ago that continually underpowering a USB only powered external drive may cause it to underperform (i.e. slow down) and lead to premature failure. The first thing I've always been told and have found sometimes successful when a 2.5" drive starts acting up (randomly disconnects or fails during read/writes) is to use a Y-cable or external power supply. Even the case can make a difference. I have a USB 3.0 case that requires the Y-cable even with drives that work fine with a single cable in other cases. Also, the larger the drive, the more platters (I think the max is 1TB per platter) and more power is required to properly spin up all the drives. Again, some cases that work fine with <1TB drives, have problems with larger drives.
    Unfortunately it didn't work.

Monitor Dell U2410, using a Y splitter with a 4TB or 2TB self powered Western Digital portable HD with USB3.

Oh well. Worth a try. I suppose I'll just have to accept having to use a powered HDD.

Thanks again everyone.
    Quote Quote