VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hey guys! I didn't know where else to post this, and this forum seems like the most relevant one.

I've had a Patriot Box Office (PBO) for ten years. I use it to watch videos, by putting the videos on a USB stick, then plugging that into the PBO, and playing it on my TV.

But lately, it seems like a lot of MKV videos encode their audio with E-AC-3, rather than AC3, which the PBO, and a lot of other devices cannot play.

This led me to look for a new device, and I found the Micca Speck G2, which is really popular. But from the comments, and by contacting the company directly, the device also does not play E-AC-3 audio.

So, I'm wondering, does anyone know of a TV box, similar to the PBO that I've been using for years, that can play MKV videos from a USB stick, when the audio is encoded with E-AC-3?

Thanks in advance!
    Quote Quote  
  2. What exactly do you want to do with the audio? Downmix to stereo for your TV? Pass it through to a 7.1 amp? I just tried a 1080p video with 7.1 channel E-AC3 audio in MKV on my Raspberry Pi 3b running Kodi. It downmixed to stereo (to a TV via HDMI). A cheap AndroidTV box (also running Kodi) did the same. You can probably bet that all AndroidTV boxes made in the last few years can do the same.
    Last edited by jagabo; 13th Jan 2020 at 23:40.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you can locate a Cloud Media Popcorn A-500 it does everything including UHD
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Gary King View Post
    Hey guys! I didn't know where else to post this, and this forum seems like the most relevant one.

I've had a Patriot Box Office (PBO) for ten years. I use it to watch videos, by putting the videos on a USB stick, then plugging that into the PBO, and playing it on my TV.

But lately, it seems like a lot of MKV videos encode their audio with E-AC-3, rather than AC3, which the PBO, and a lot of other devices cannot play.

This led me to look for a new device, and I found the Micca+Speck+G2[/B]&qid=1578955422&sr=8-3]Micca Speck G2, which is really popular. But from the comments, and by contacting the company directly, the device also does not play E-AC-3 audio.

So, I'm wondering, does anyone know of a TV box, similar to the PBO that I've been using for years, that can play MKV videos from a USB stick, when the audio is encoded with E-AC-3?

Thanks in advance!
    I first bought the Micca Speck, IMNSHO, it is/was a joke, I now use it as a dedicated music player.

A better one is this: Micca MPLAY-HD Mini 1080p Digital Media Player (not the speck! costs $10 more) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074DKYT74?tag=mygapa-20

I dont know about the audio, but it supports more video 'containers'?

[Attachment 51464 - Click to enlarge]

Speck does not play iso or TS
    Yes, no, maybe, I don't know, Can you repeat the question?
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Thread moved to the Media Center PC / MediaCenters forum where you can get more help.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member Emeritus
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by cornemuse View Post
    I first bought the Micca Speck, IMNSHO, it is/was a joke,
    The speck uses the boxchip F10. This is a miserable cpu that uses an even more miserable firmware. This type of player should only be gifted to your worst enemies.

Originally Posted by cornemuse View Post
    A better one is this: Micca MPLAY-HD Mini 1080p Digital Media Player
    The mplay-hd is a decent player. It uses a realtek 1185-PA cpu. Although this cpu dates back to 2011, it is still decent for 1080p or less, so long as h265 isn't required.

Micca (and many other brands) sold several players that use the realtek 1185-DD for many years. Used ones can probably be found for less than the price of a new mplay-hd. I've found used 1185-DD players for as low as ten dollars american.

Another option is an android tv box player. Decent ones can be found for about the price of the mplay-hd. If you don't mind mobile android on your tv.
    Quote Quote