VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi everyone. Please, I would like to ask you some help with my case. I have had a WD TV Live for many years, and I like it very much. Now, I would like to buy a similar media box to a friend of mine, but nowadays it is very common to find only android boxes. I would like to get something simple, like WDTV, because he may not know how to use something more difficult, with too much options. He only needs this box to play movies and videos, so the most important thing is that it should have h264/265 support. Is there any option today? Does anybody recommend those players from ROKU brand? It is one of the most famous, I think, when I search for "media players" on Amazon. And what about those Chinese players which are sold on AliExpress? Is there any good model you could recommend me ? Thank you very much everyone.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Yes get those, they might have Kodi preinstalled. I have this Tronsmart but it is almost 2 years old, but still sufficient. It cannot handle well HEVC 4k 60p or 4k high bitrate. I do not need that anyway, just tested it. It has Amlogic S905 so that should be your at least version.
    You can get MXplayer, VLC player apps on it as well. Or others. MX player deinterlaces the best (if content needs to be deinterlaced). Or if you get slight jerks while playing movies using Kodi, use those another players.
    Difficult to recommend exactly which Android player, there is tons of them. Just get latest one. That's pretty important. On Amazon look for reviewes, if they are older than 2015, do not get them for sure, go for 2017 releases.
    If you do not trust them, do not sing-up to your accounts, you might use them off line etc.

For Android you need remote control with mini-keybords and with touchpad, it is quite important because remember, those players use OS, not firmware that you can navigate thru with simple remote control. Something like this:
    https://www.amazon.com/Rii-Wireless-Keyboard-Rechargable-Battery-Black/dp/B00Z81U3YY/r...pad+Mouse%2C+L
    without those remotes, it is quite nightmare to handle Android (or any OS), there is tons and tons of people that does not realize this and write and write bad review for players, not realizing it is just not sufficient remote or not fast responsive one, that is being provided. Especially whatever comes with those cheaper models. Even cheap they are quite sufficient enough with latest chipsets.
    Last edited by _Al_; 6th Nov 2017 at 23:30.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Khalel View Post
    Hi everyone. Please, I would like to ask you some help with my case. I have had a WD TV Live for many years, and I like it very much. Now, I would like to buy a similar media box to a friend of mine, but nowadays it is very common to find only android boxes. I would like to get something simple, like WDTV, because he may not know how to use something more difficult, with too much options. He only needs this box to play movies and videos, so the most important thing is that it should have h264/265 support. Is there any option today? Does anybody recommend those players from ROKU brand? It is one of the most famous, I think, when I search for "media players" on Amazon. And what about those Chinese players which are sold on AliExpress? Is there any good model you could recommend me ? Thank you very much everyone.
    The Android boxes play most kinds of video, but if they aren't an option due to a more complex user interface, you may need to give something up.

The stand-alone media players I found like the Micca Speck G2 or the KDLINKS HD720 play many older types of video, but not HEVC.

Roku is great for streaming services but very limited as a media player. The Roku Ultra plays HEVC, AVC and VP9 from USB, but doesn't play other common types of video like MPEG-2, WMV, XVid/DivX

From the Roku website:
    Code:
    USB media formats
    Video — H.264/AVC (.MKV, .MP4, .MOV), H.265/HEVC (.MKV, .MP4, .MOV); VP9 (.MKV)

Audio – AAC (.MKV, .MP4, .MOV); MP3(.MP3, .MKV); WMA (.ASF, .WMA, .MKV), FLAC (.FLAC, .MKV), PCM (.WAV, .MKV, .MP4, .MOV), AC3/EAC3 (.MKV,.MP4. .MOV, .AC3), DTS (.MKV, .MP4, .MOV), ALAC (.MKV, .MP4, .MOV, .M4A)
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  4. op is from Brazil, not sure about that Roku at all ... if you want Netflix then you download Netflix app on Android and it is sufficient. No 4k or 1080p , not sure about 1080 if Android devices are included now, that, but it is streaming, more than enough
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by _Al_ View Post
    op is from Brazil, not sure about that Roku at all ... if you want Netflix then you download Netflix app on Android and it is sufficient. No 4k or 1080p , not sure about 1080 if Android devices are included now, that, but it is streaming, more than enough
    I will admit that I don't know which Roku models are presently sold in Brazil, or what legal streaming services are available there. However, all the Rokus with the ability to do USB playback are very limited as far as codec support for USB. Roku's website noted that HEVC is only supported by the Roku Premier, Premier+, and Ultra. I am uncertain if HEVC is supported for HD video as well as 4K video. The Roku support page only mentions HEVC when listing the codecs supported for 4K.

I'm not sure how many legal streaming services are compatible with the Chinese Android boxes. I did read that the Netflix app currently won't install on an Android device that has been rooted/jailbroken.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 7th Nov 2017 at 13:53.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Thank you very much for your comments, friends. Yes, I am from Brazil, but in fact I am trying to find something on AliExpress or Ebay. That's why I told about Roku or any other Android. I found a new player from XIAOMI, Mi Box 2017. Does anybody recommend? Or I can have a look at A95X models (they seem to play HEVC) or H96PRO, both found on AliExpress sellers.
    Quote Quote  
  7. All the same, ok for what you need, and all the same as for those cheap Android boxes - wifi is weak (depending where our router is located) , LAN, ethernet connection is always better and do not rely on included remote control. Good to you know about that. More expensive device - better wifi or remote, that is a wild guess but perhaps true. It looks like that last TV stick is wifi only.
    Not sure if I bought rooted device though.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Oops! Double post...
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 8th Nov 2017 at 23:22.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you very much for your comments, friends. Yes, I am from Brazil, but in fact I am trying to find something on AliExpress or Ebay. That's why I told about Roku or any other Android. I found a new player from XIAOMI, Mi Box 2017. Does anybody recommend?
    The Xaomi Mi Box just plays streamed video or video delivered via casting from a compatible device. The only physical connections are HDMI out and power in. There is no Ethernet connection and no USB. There is only WiFi and Bluetooth. If someone wants to enjoy a personal media collection, then they need to install Kodi or Plex and stream video over their home network. Otherwise, there is the Google Play Store and apps for various streaming services. I would not recommend it for someone who is technologically unsophisticated.

Does anybody recommend? Or I can have a look at A95X models (they seem to play HEVC) or H96PRO, both found on AliExpress sellers.
    One of these would offer more connections than a Mi Box.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 9th Nov 2017 at 01:49. Reason: typo
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    How about this, these are official supported and installed kodi devices:
    Nvidia shield
    Wetek play
    Minix
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jan5678 View Post
    How about this, these are official supported and installed kodi devices:
    Nvidia shield
    Wetek play
    Minix
    The Nvidia shield is probably the best Android TV box made right now, but costs $180 (US). The latest offerings from WeTek (Play 2) and Minix (NEO U9-H) are in the top tier of Android boxes. However, the Android devices Khalel has asked about so far cost under $100 (US). If that is his budget, all of the above are too expensive.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The Nvidia shield is probably the best Android TV box made right now, but costs $180 (US). The latest offerings from WeTek (Play 2) and Minix (NEO U9-H) are in the top tier of Android boxes. However, the Android devices Khalel has asked about so far cost under $100 (US). If that is his budget, all of the above are too expensive.
    The op didn't mentioned a budget so i come up with a few thoughts.

Personally i use a home made media player with kodi, but that will cost even more and is not that easy to configure
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have a Dune 303D, its discontinued but they have others:

http://dune-hd.com/eng/products/full_hd_media_players

Remote controls much better than WDTV Live (havent used it since I got the Dune)
    Yes, no, maybe, I don't know, Can you repeat the question?
    Quote Quote