VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I have a 29.97 fps drop frame timeline in Premiere.

It's an old Premiere CS6 that doesn't have the caption-making feature, and my question is about EDL to SRT conversion anyway.

I cut a black video to subtitle breaks and export this track only as a drop frame EDL, so I get subtitle timings in the HH:MM:SS:FF (frames) format.

Then I import the EDL into Subtitle Edit and export it as an SRT.

I test the SRT in Media Player Classic and I see that 2/3 of the SRT timings are 1—2 frames early.

Adjusting wrong timings manually to the player's timecode won't work because a) come on, and b) I tried it, and now most of the adjusted timings are 1 frame late.

Mismatch of 1—2 frames wouldn't matter much in subtitles for one talking head with no cuts. But in my video, I have several talking heads, and I try to time my subtitles to cuts, and the mismatch is noticeable.

The SRT format timing is precise down to a thousandth of a second. Why do I get 1—2 frame mismatches?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Did you use the General Settings in SE to your 29.97? The default is 23 fps. I use 25 fps on my Britsh drama subs.
    I think the features in the General settings change things. I've had to experiment with that.
    Quote Quote