VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,

I am new to editing and just trying to learn how to edit some audio; I am trying to edit 5.1 eac3 audio of a video file (.mkv). I used MKVToolNix to extract the eac3 file as .mka so I can edit a part of the file and replace it with another audio.

I have edited and replaced the parts of the audio file using Audacity (the length of audio is still same as original 2hours 27mins), the original length of the video is 2 hours 27mins. When I try to export the file from Audacity to .ac3 file the resulting exported audio length is now more than 13 hours . I have set "Use advanced mixing options" in the audacity preferences settings.

Is there a way to export the file to .ac3 to the original length of 2:27mins or any settings that I am missing to achieve this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You can load the video right into audacity and edit it and output the audio and merge it to the video with mkvmerge,see if that fixes the length issue.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thank you for the reply, I did try that first and it still outputs the audio file to 13 hours. No luck
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Have got the newest audacity with the newest ffmeg for audacity installed?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Yes, I have got the newest version and installed ffmpeg installed as well.

I tried to export it to .mp3 to see if that works and exporting to .mp3 works well (length is 2 hours 27mins). .ac3 is the issue.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Unless you need to authorize the video you can output the audio as 5.1 aac.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Okay, will try the 5.1 aac output now. I just want to clarify this - So I have 6 tracks (5.1 master) in that .mka that I extracted out of MKVToolNix, when exporting to .aac in the last step it shows "Advanced Mixing Options" dialog should I keep the number of channels as default like this?

[Attachment 67866 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  8. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Yes.Also make sure you give a bitrate of 448 for the aac output.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I cannot enter more than 320 kbps in the window. Is there anywhere else that I can enter more than 320?

[Attachment 67867 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  10. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    320 is the limit for aac which is better than the output limit for ac3,
    Quote Quote  
  11. Thank you for the help. At the moment I have exported the audio as .aac.

I still would like to know is there a reason why exporting to .ac3 export does not work as expected. Any ideas or any other software which I can try and see if I face the same issues? Could you please recommend some other software?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Try eac3to. You can let Audacity losslessly export as a multichannel FLAC intermediate. Which you then load in eac3to to convert.

Download with GUI here: https://www.videohelp.com/download/eac3to336-UsEac3to133.zip

Is there a specific reason you want AC3 output?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you extract the original EAC3 audio track from the MKV file using MKVCleaver it will output the file as "Name.undefined". Audacity will recognise it and load the 5 tracks. A long bow but maybe the conversion to MKA is messing with the file ?
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  14. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Op already tried loading the video directly into audacity with the same issue so it isn't a mka effect.I had that issue before with audacity really stretching out ac3 files,had to use eac3to but since then audacity has been good with ac3 files.
    Quote Quote