VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have this movie in .mp4 format but its in german language is there a way of stripping out the audio and changing to english and place back in movie
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You can try Avidemux..Search box does work!..
    " Who needs Google, my wife knows everything"
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Any mp4 multiplexer. mymp4boxgui.
    Quote Quote  
  4. so how do I change language once I have split audio from the movie
    Quote Quote  
  5. Record your new audio, encode it, and mux it with the video with any multiplexer. The aforementioned mymp4boxgui, or Yamb.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I think what I was trying to say is how can you translate the audio from german to english is there a program which can do this, as when you say
    Record your new audio,
    I cant as I dont understand german
    Quote Quote  
  7. Do you already have an english track? There is no software that converts German to English audio that works even remotely well

If you don't have an english track, buy the blu-ray or dvd, strip out the english track, then replace it using yamb . (But I guess if you have the blu-ray/dvd, then it wouldn't matter )
    Quote Quote  
  8. You may be in a huge hurry, but what you want is years away from being created yet.
    Quote Quote  
  9. ok well I guess that's this subject closed then just thought a program could translate the audio. its not really a movie but a tutorial a short mp4 clip. but trouble is its in german anyway many thanks all for helping
    Quote Quote  
  10. Well there are ways, but they are far from perfect and full of errors and usually take alot of manual correction. It's because human speech is so different between people, there are so many inflections, dialects, accents, differences ,etc...

You use speech to text programs e.g. dragon naturally speaking . => these have to be "trained" for better results. They work better with more experience. You would get a german version

Next, you use German to English text translation programs => many of these around, even free ones like google translate. Some of the expensive ones are a lot better

Then you use Text to Speech program => The free and cheap ones are very robotic sounding . The very expensive ones come with nice sounding voices and huge databases with advanced algorithms that are less prone to error
    Quote Quote  
  11. Basically, speech recognition programs can recognize a small number of words as spoken by a large number of people (numbers, yes, no...) or a large number of words as spoken by one person. But for the latter the software has to be trained by that person reading several preselected paragraphs to the software, so that it can learn the nuances of that person's speech. And in all cases that speech must be free of background noise, music, etc.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    As poisondeathray and jagabo stated, those are the ways with which to "automatically" convert from one to the other.

Or, you can do it manually. WAIT. No, YOU can't do it, but you can HIRE somebody to do it.

There are plenty of Germans that know English, and less but still plenty of English that know German. Any University with a language department has people who can bridge both well enough for general Media purposes (that's what I've done before many times - EN->DE, EN->FR, EN->SP, SP->EN, EN->ZH, PT->EN).
    Of course, you'll have to PAY them. But it's worth it. If you trust their skills and equipment, you can even have them record it in sync (enough) with your original soundtrack.
    BTW, this is precisely what good post-production companies are known for.

If you're thinking of doing this for FREE, you better start getting out your Library card and brushing up on your German...otherwise, there's NO way to do this successfully.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  13. If it's a reasonably well-known movie, it seems to me the proper thing to do would be to find some subtitles for it and mux them in.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by natty View Post
    ok well I guess that's this subject closed then just thought a program could translate the audio. its not really a movie but a tutorial a short mp4 clip. but trouble is its in german anyway many thanks all for helping
    Contact the makers and ask them if they have a script.
    You might be able to run that through Google translate and get an approximation.

Or Star Trek's Universal translator will be invented in about 200 years if you can wait that long.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Go to http://translate.google.com and have it translate some English text to German, then translate that German text back to English. You'll see why people are willing to pay translators.
    Quote Quote