VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hi.

Is there any way to simply remove hdr from any mkv file without re-converting?
    Just like we remove the dts-hd and get only the dts core from any mkv file with mkvtoolnix.

Is there any way to do it with any program?
    Quote Quote  
  2. No; you need to tonemap
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    what is tonemap?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    So with little words i can't simply remove hdr from a mkv without recoding all the file?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Assuming we are talking about hdr-10 or hdr-10+ it should be possible to remove the hdr meta data, but your video would have 'dull' colors which would look way different than the hdr data.
    It would be the same as watching a hdr movie on a non-hdr display which does not hdr->sdr color adjustments (= tone mapping).
    https://www.mysterybox.us/blog/2016/10/27/hdr-video-part-5-grading-mastering-and-delivering-hdr has some nice screen shots like:

left one is HDR content on SDR display without tone mapping, the two on the right basically show different tone mapping methods applied.

Cu Selur
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    So even i remove the hdr if i don't do the tone remapping the video shows as it is the left picture.
    Correct?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Put another way, you can't remove HDR you can only interpret it.
    Quote Quote  
  8. So even i remove the hdr if i don't do the tone remapping the video shows as it is the left picture.
    Correct?
    Yes, the one on the left is what a hdr10/hdr10+/doblyvision video looks like without the hdr data.
    So without reencoding, removing the hdr data is usually not what you would aim for.
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote