VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6
FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Thread
  1. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Tool tips/hover spots fixed in all templates.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks. You're doing a great job.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've got an old problem that I thought was fixed and a new problem.

1. All the threads that I have posted in have been read but all of them are shown as unread again with the exception of 5 threads. Maybe you should use the unread icon as the read icon and come up with a new one for read and get it to where it works. I have 21 pages of read threads that all show up as unread. I was hoping that after all my threads since the update date reached the second page that everthing would show up as read but that isn't the case.

2. I cannot log on to my account in Firefox. It keeps saying it's logging me in but I'm never logged in. IE remembers me everytime I log on but Firefox will not log me in at all.

EDIT: Firefox problem fixed. Seems I turned off cookies and scripting since the last time I use Firefox for Videohelp.
    Last edited by DarrellS; 2nd Apr 2010 at 13:49.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Firefox will now log me in if I type in my username and password but will not log me in automatically like IE.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I'm having no problems with firefox.
    Donadagohvi (Cherokee for "Until we meet again")
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What version are you using? I'm using 3.6.3. I noticed also that my custom links folder on my toolbar that I use for IE6 links is no longer there. It disappeared about three weeks ago and I cannot recreate it in Firefox 3.6.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I am running 3.6.2 at the moment and have had no problems (with bookmarks or logins) in 3.5 or 3.6
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Just updated to 3.6.3 and am having no problems at all. Might be worth doing a reinstall of FF.
    Donadagohvi (Cherokee for "Until we meet again")
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Same here - all looking good so far
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I uninstalled 3.6.3 and reinstalled 3.5 and everything is back like it used to be. I'm logged on when I open Videohelp now and I was able to create a links folder on my toolbar which I could not do on newer versions. I have everything on one thin toolbar like IE6. I used tabkiller to get rid of tabs. Everything looks all nice and tidy again.

EDIT: Looks like the read thread/unread thread issue will never be fixed. That's the cost of progress I guess. One step forward and two steps back.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    My guess is that something went screwy with your profile, possibly when upgrading to 3.6, possibly independently, and this interfered with cookies etc, causing your problems. Blowing away FF and re-installing 3.5 created a new, clean profile, and everything is working again. I would suggest that you could, should you chose to, upgrade to 3.6.x and it would work fine this time.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by guns1inger View Post
    My guess is that something went screwy with your profile, possibly when upgrading to 3.6, possibly independently, and this interfered with cookies etc, causing your problems. Blowing away FF and re-installing 3.5 created a new, clean profile, and everything is working again. I would suggest that you could, should you chose to, upgrade to 3.6.x and it would work fine this time.
    I like my links folder on a thin toolbar which I can't get in 3.6 or any other browser for that matter besides IE6 and since everyone is trying to force me to stop using IE6 then Firefox 3.5 is the only other browser that will work for me and it works fine.

I'd gladly replace IE6 with one of these browsers that everyone raves about (IE8, Chrome, Avant, Opera) but to me, they are all worthless pieces of crap. Firefox is the only other browser that works for me. At least Firefox can be made to act like IE6 with a little tweaking. If Firefox continues this trend then they may be able to capture the remaining 20% of IE6 users that refuse to give it up for IE8 which is not the browsing experience we want but not allowing the Links folder is a step in the wrong direction since that is a major part of an IE6 users browsing experience.

The bookmarks bar in other browsers is a big turnoff. You've already got a bookmarks dropdown folder, why do you need a whole bookmarks bar also? A links folder on your toolbar for your most important sites that takes up no space at all seems way more useful to me than creating toolbars that take up half your screen.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I also miss steam powered cars and gas lighting in the streets, but what are you going to do. The world moves on.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    It is possible to back up your FF profile, and this is an advisable precaution before doing anything that might trash it. (I've killed profiles before just by installing a new extension, or having certain combinations of add-ons that did not get along well together. But that has not happened in quite some time.)
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DarrellS View Post
    The bookmarks bar in other browsers is a big turnoff. You've already got a bookmarks dropdown folder, why do you need a whole bookmarks bar also? A links folder on your toolbar for your most important sites that takes up no space at all seems way more useful to me than creating toolbars that take up half your screen.
    You're in a small minority, here.
    Many of us really prefer to have our daily bookmarks in easy reach, without having even more in our drop-down menu. The drop-down is extra steps. No thanks.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I also miss steam powered cars and gas lighting in the streets, but what are you going to do. The world moves on.
    You weren't alive when people drove steam powered cars and people still rode horses for years after the car was invented. It isn't like the browser that has been working fine for everyone the last 10 years suddenly stopped working and we need to move on to something that does. People have to be in style and buy the newest craze that hits the market. Not because it is better but because it's new and different.

I guess I'll just keep using what I'm using until I can't use it anymore. There are people still using Windows 95 and IE5 so I'm sure IE6 will still work until I'm dead and gone.

Oh, and there are some people who still drive steam powered cars (Jay Leno for one).
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    You're in a small minority, here.
    Many of us really prefer to have our daily bookmarks in easy reach, without having even more in our drop-down menu. The drop-down is extra steps. No thanks.
    You'd rather have a toolbar that takes up half of your page just so you don't have to click a dropdown to click a link? The dropdown link takes up no room at all on the toolbar and is only for the websites you visit all the time so you don't have to go looking all through your bookmarks to find them. I have over 500 webpages that are bookmarked.

My friend is that way. He installs every toolbar that he can because he says it makes his life easier. He doesn't even save bookmarks. He just uses his history for his favorites. Between all the toolbars and all the tabs, there is hardly any screen left for his viewing pleasure.

That's his perogative though. That's why they call it a personal computer. We should be able to set it up any way we want it. Not how Microsoft or anyone else says we should have to set it up.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	desktop-1.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	132.9 KB
ID:	1169  

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you are going to waste space with something like the google toolbar as well, just to make a point . . . . . . . .

I don't lose much space to the standard FF layout. I have the address bar, a quick links bars for the stuff I use all the time, and a row of tabs because it is very rare for me to have only one page open at a time. For example, I have three pages open as soon as FF opens - videohelp, my wordpress blog, and my google news feeds. If I need more space, I can always hit F11 and go to full screen mode.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I mostly use Opera, it's bookmark bar (favourites) can be turned off.
    I can call up my bookmark list with F4 for the whole shebang. So it's only there when I'm navigating, hidden when I'm reading a web page.

I have it turned off in FF too.

I could add bookmark buttons if I wanted to, the only one I have now is "Home" which is Google.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you are going to waste space with something like the google toolbar as well, just to make a point . . . . . . . .

I don't lose much space to the standard FF layout. I have the address bar, a quick links bars for the stuff I use all the time, and a row of tabs because it is very rare for me to have only one page open at a time. For example, I have three pages open as soon as FF opens - videohelp, my wordpress blog, and my google news feeds. If I need more space, I can always hit F11 and go to full screen mode.
    That's the only picture I could find of IE8 on google to use. I won't put that piece of crap browser on my machine again.

If you want to use the default view of Firefox then that's your perogative. I personally can't understand why someone needs four or five toolbars when they can do exactly the same thing with one. If you notice, the way I have Firefox set up, the toolbar is even smaller then IE6.

I prefer to tweak my browser and my operating system the way I like it, not the way that someone wants to dictate that I use them. I've spent years learning all the tricks I use. The future (and the now for that matter) is to take all user options out of the computing experience and turn it from the personal computer to the Microsoft computer or whatever corporation that wants to take control of your computer.

I like my toolbar as small as I can get it. I don't browse in full screen mode and I don't like it to open in small tiled windows. I like to drag my window to the size that I want it so that it always opens as big as I can get it without going fullscreen and losing functions. It remembers my settings so it always opens the way I want it.

I browse the internet with multiple pages open at a time also but there is absolutely no reason to put them in stupid tabs that take up half my screen when they can go to the windows toolbar on the bottom where they were originally meant to go and they take up zero desktop space. If I want to open 20 or 30 pages then it hides them down below instead of polluting my screen.

All this browser talk does nothing to cure the "read pages" bug that has existed since the forum change was made though. Progress is wonderful.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have a bookmark bar, I don't use BS "toolbars".
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a bookmark bar, I don't use BS "toolbars".
    The Bookmarks bar is a toolbar (and a BS one at that). View > Toolbars > Bookmark Toolbar. I turn this off in Firefox but not until I Create a Links folder on that bar, move the contents of that bar to my main bar and then move the favorites that I want into my Links folder. I delete the favorites that I don't want and then turn off the bookmarks bar. I use the bookmarks button to get to the other 500 websites that I have stored.

All newer browsers make it hard if not impossible to move everything to one toolbar. Firefox is the only browser that allows you to do it. I had to do a lot of Googling and experimenting to get it the way I wanted it.

The best you can do with IE8 is three toolbars. You can get rid of the favorites on the favorites bar but you cannot get rid of the bar itself. A star with favorites next to it that opens a window that takes up a quarter of your screen remains with no way at all to get rid of it.

Microsoft always allowed you to combine toolbars and move buttons around on those toolbars until their newest browsers. Like their newer operating systems, they decided it was better to take away user options and force everyone to use their computers the way that they dictate that they use them. I guess they don't want them getting too comfortable with their computers because they want them buying a new OS with a new browser every couple of years.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by Seeker47 View Post
    I uninstalled 3.6.3 and reinstalled 3.5 and everything is back like it used to be.
    My guess is that something went screwy with your profile, possibly when upgrading to 3.6, possibly independently, and this interfered with cookies etc, causing your problems. Blowing away FF and re-installing 3.5 created a new, clean profile, and everything is working again.
    It is possible to back up your FF profile, and this is an advisable precaution before doing anything that might trash it. (I've killed profiles before just by installing a new extension, or having certain combinations of add-ons that did not get along well together. But that has not happened in quite some time.)

DarrellS, guns1inger (& freebird73717), simply updating Firefox does not create a new profile. Firefox profiles are stored in the %appdata% folder on Windblow$ (Start Menu, Run... %appdata%\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\).

To backup the profile, there's the MozBackup utility, many online add-ons (like Xmarks), or it can simply be done manually.

To take it one step further, you can always use the -no-remote command line argument, in case you'll ever want to run 2 different versions simultaneously:

Code:
    "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" -no-remote -ProfileManager
    P.S.
    I'm logged on when I open Videohelp now and I was able to create a links folder on my toolbar which I could not do on newer versions. I have everything on one thin toolbar like IE6.
    [..] but not allowing the Links folder is a step in the wrong direction since that is a major part of an IE6 users browsing experience.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but can't the Firefox Bookmarks Toolbar be used as the Links folder in MSIE?!?? Bookmarks/links can be added by dragging them up to the toolbar when it's shown and otherwise, pages can be bookmarked to it; screenshot @

P.P.S.
    Then, if you really want to get into the complex stuff, or actually what Firefox was designed around/about/for, you can have a look @ Smart Folders, or Smart Bookmarks.

There are some related extensions (add-ons) and pages, in no-particular-order:

^^ Some of these are controlled/added by clicking on the little star, in the address bar; clicking it twice allows for the smart folder location (just like adding a regular bookmark); screenshot @

Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I like the way mine looks a lot better. One line just looks so much cleaner. No need for all that clutter.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled-1.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	262.9 KB
ID:	2476  

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Your definition of "toolbar" is not accurate. What comes included with Firefox and IE8 isn't a "toolbar".
    I refer to that other useless garbage, like the Yahoo or Google toolbars.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Your definition of "toolbar" is not accurate. What comes included with Firefox and IE8 isn't a "toolbar".
    I refer to that other useless garbage, like the Yahoo or Google toolbars.
    Your definition of "toolbar" is not accurate. Both Microsoft and Firefox list all their bars as toolbars.

The Google and Yahoo toolbars are add-ons which are called BHOs or Browser Helper Objects. The default toolbars in both IE and Firefox are part of the browser and not add-ons or BHOs.

If your browser did not come with toolbars, it would be pretty useless.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    How can you view threads that were posted in the last week?

If you choose "more active topics here" it only gives you 1 1/3 pages. Everything that you just looked at on the front page and a handfull of posts from yesterday. 61 topics seems to be the limit. forty on the first page and 21 on the second.

If I want to see a topic that I viewed a couple of days ago, I'm Screwed. Going into furum settings and changing threads per page and last week or month it does nothing.

If I try to search for the thread, the search feature is worthless and I can never find what I'm looking for (if I can even get it to search at all).

All of these features worked perfect in the old forum but are worthless now.

My football forum which is v-bulletin goes back 1099 pages, not a page and 1/3.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    How can you view threads that were posted in the last week?

If you choose "more active topics here" it only gives you 1 1/3 pages. Everything that you just looked at on the front page and a handfull of posts from yesterday. 61 topics seems to be the limit. forty on the first page and 21 on the second.

If I want to see a topic that I viewed a couple of days ago, I'm Screwed. Going into furum settings and changing threads per page and last week or month it does nothing.
    If you go to "Search" and "Advanced Search" then choose
    "Find posts" as "your last visit" + "and older" you can see up to 25 pages of 40 posts, i.e. 1000 posts.

If you want posts earlier, you can do searches like "6 months ago" + "and older".
    However, as you can't choose an arbitrary date range and with the number of posts here, there will be many posts you can't get this way.

Also sometimes you get wacky results from searches like "yesterday" + "and older". Posts from 2001 and 2004 show up.
    Quote Quote  
  29. All of these features worked perfect in the old forum but are worthless now.
    I found with all technology, if it can't be improved anymore, then the simple next step solution is for the geeks to make it worse. Example: vcr "improved" to DVD recorder
    Another example: In this forum, I used to be able to attach screenshots in order1,2,3 and they would appear 1,2,3. Now the order that the screenshots appear is determined by the size of the moon.
    Last edited by jimdagys; 3rd Jul 2010 at 23:51.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you go to "Search" and "Advanced Search" then choose
    "Find posts" as "your last visit" + "and older" you can see up to 25 pages of 40 posts, i.e. 1000 posts.

If you want posts earlier, you can do searches like "6 months ago" + "and older".
    However, as you can't choose an arbitrary date range and with the number of posts here, there will be many posts you can't get this way.

Also sometimes you get wacky results from searches like "yesterday" + "and older". Posts from 2001 and 2004 show up.
    Thanks!
    Quote Quote