Search Comp PM
    here is screen shots from my American pie 2 blu-ray

Original

Edited Colors In VLC Player Looks Much Better

so why such dull and dark colors ?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I suspect it mostly depends on the player. Or if from a hardware DVD/BD set top player, the TV or monitor settings.

With a computer, there are plenty of settings available with the video card.
    And I suspect many TVs or monitors have never been set up properly as they have quite a few settings also.

Then finally there is personal preference.
    For example, I find most laptops have the brightness turned up close to max.
    I guess that is what the manufacturer thinks is correct. I have my own idea of what is correct.

Most of us have spent a fair amount of time trying to get our playback systems the way we want them.

Anyway, I would just make your video playback settings the way you want and damn everyone else!!!

End of rant...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Normally your HDTV takes the video input and pumps ups the saturation, contrast, and brightness. So maybe the people who encoded the bluray are just anticipating that.

Are these snapshots directly from a bluray source or an encoding?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm not familiar with Western releases since I rarely watch, much less purchase them, but the majority of Asian releases (Japanese, Korean, Hong Kong, Taiwan), I watch have very good transfers. Japan in particular, has historically always put extra care into their video transfers going back to least to their Laserdisc releases.

As for American Pie 2, this review of the Blu-Ray http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/American-Pie-2-Blu-ray/30440/#Review confirms that the transfer was poorly done:

"The VC-1 encoded image (1.85:1 aspect ratio) presentation carries a certain age, lacking a recent scan that could pull out a little more freshness to an 11-year-old film. The viewing experience is slightly off, presenting a darker image with a muted color palette, bringing down the youthful energy of the movie. Skintones vary, looking unnatural at times, drained of life. Shadow detail is on the solid side, with limited clarity when approaching dense fabrics, hairstyles, and low-lit distances. Fine detail is acceptable but never extraordinary, good with facial textures and some beachgoing shenanigans. While certainly a step up from the previous DVD release, "American Pie 2" doesn't make a bold impression on BD, lacking the flat, crisp sense of colorful cartoonish mayhem it was meant to have."

My guess is that release was low budget / priority given the intended market, i.e. anyone who bought American Pie wouild likely buy American Pie 2 no matter the disc quality.

The nice thing about many Western Blu-Ray/DVD releases is that they're usually reviewed prior to or immediately after release (blu-ray.com and dvdbeaver.com being two popular sites), so you'll have time to decide on your purchase, unless you really want that Limited First Edition Extended [edit: Boxed] release.
    Last edited by lingyi; 11th May 2016 at 01:26.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    maybe it is just the standard settings on your PC, that make it look so dark

just set your favorite player to the brightness level you prefer
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    That second shot looks like overcooked crap, too.
    Contrast is not accurate.
    Black levels terrible.

The big issue is lazy video releases. That is is one of my biggest pet peeves.

Sad but true:
    A lot of videographers/encoders/etc working in the field have no real training or knowledge. It's a ugly shift from the 90s and even the 00s. So you get a lot of inept stooges that are not qualified. As a result, they often screw stuff up.

And as I've mentioned before, several releasers quit sending me Blu-rays to review. Why? Because they were technically awful, worse than the DVDs. I'm not exaggerating. So rather than listen to feedback, heed reviews -- they decided they didn't want me to review anything. All they wanted were lemmings with fluff "reviews" to say how great it was. Screw 'em. This is a huge reason I rarely buy Blu-ray releases.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  7. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Most movies look dull and dark cause you haven't set your tv/monitor properly.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by jamespoo View Post
    here is screen shots from my American pie 2 blu-ray
    Maybe because they still use the medieval "studiolevels" (16-235) in this 21th century digital age?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Or not. If you don't understand the reasoning behind studio levels, don't embarrass yourself by throwing in "medieval".

OP: Question #1 should be - have you calibrated you displays?

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by jamespoo View Post
    Your player and/or graphics card are set up incorrectly. Start testing by downloading the video in this post:

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/374734-Color-Levels-Question?p=2414529&viewfull=1#post2414529

And make sure your display looks like the second image in the post.

And, as KarMa pointed out, TVs are usually set up to pump up the contrast and saturation because that's what people like, not because it's the way the video is supposed to look.
    Last edited by jagabo; 15th May 2016 at 13:10.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    Or not. If you don't understand the reasoning behind studio levels, don't embarrass yourself by throwing in "medieval".

Scott
    Don't worry my friend. I'm very well informed about the reason of this remainder of the old CRT-era.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Studio levels are not related to any display technology. They are related to the process of digitizing analog signals.
    And unless you screwed up something studio levels are not a reason for dull colors. At all.
    Quote Quote