VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hi everyone!

I've been using this recorder a lot and the audio quality is excellent in proper conditions. The problem I'm facing is that I also need to record outside, sometimes in a slight wind, but this recorder's microphones are supersensitive and even with a dead kitten, it picks up a lot of wind noise. I can get better recordings with a phone in regards to the wind.

What about other handheld recorders, can you suggest something with great windscreen and microphones, but otherwise similar to H1 (size, weight, price)? Or a good mic for an android phone?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Have you tried a dead cat?

(aka Zoom H1 wind screen accessory - ~$12.00USD)

You may not need anything more, and it's worth trying and having, regardless. For the price.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    They don't help much, but after going through different reviews I understood that I won't be getting anything better either. It won't be perfect but will do the job. Can't really expect anything more for a small budget.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Don't help much? Have you ever used them?!!
    Among other things, I worked boom audio in video production for decades (including outdoor shoots in bad weather), and I can honestly say from experience that they do help a great deal.

When you can afford it, I suggest you look toward more highly directional types such as a line/shotgun mic.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Yes I've tried but this particular recorder is really sensitive. I just ordered one dead cat with good reviews, hopefully it will be good. You're right, shotgun mic will be much better, especially as I need it for interviews.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    Have you tried a dead cat?
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    Don't help much? Have you ever used them?!!
    SpecSavers?

Originally Posted by Srivas View Post
    this recorder's microphones are supersensitive and even with a dead kitten
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    Nevermind. This recorder is really cheap for its quality, and for me, it does the job. I will try with this kitten I ordered, as I lost the previous one and it wasn't really effective, but they do differ in quality. I will post an audio sample here when I get it for this thread to have some value for others as well.
    Quote Quote