VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Some told me not install a new secondary harddrive on the same ide cable as my CDRW dirve... is this true? why is it bad to do so?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Are you planning on burning discs from data stored on that secondary hard drive? As I understand it, IDE doesn't allow multiple operations to be going simultaneously like SCSI does, so you couldn't have a read operation to the hard drive and a write operation to the CDRW going at the same time. That might increase your odds of having a buffer underrun when burning a CD.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Is your bus, HDD and CDRW ATA/66 or above? If yes donīt worry! 8)

IDE cannot deal with interleaved commands but this problem only occurs if data transfers are = or above to bus maximum data rate

1 IDE 7200 rpm HDD and 1 CDRW (whatever the speed), even at maximum speed, cannot saturate ATA66 bus data rate. (I still donīt get it why manufacturers produce ATA100/133 drives if HDDs cannot REAL transfer HALF of that rate...)

Conclusion: If you have a good CDRW and HDD donīt worry! I have a 24x SONY CDRW and a Maxtor 20Gb 7200 rpm ATA100 in my IDE2 and I never got problems (even with 2 HDDs tranfering 5 Gb data between them and the CDRW recording at maximum speed from HDD2)
    Quote Quote  
  4. I have heard that you should never mix a hard drive with a cdrw or zip drive. The cdrom can slow the speed of the hard drive.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't think it should be a problem. I recently installed a Maxtor 60GB 7200RPM drive as a slave to my Acer 4x4x32 CD-RW and I have no problems burning files from the new drive.
    I don't think the drive is slowed down either, it loads a lot faster than my old 17gb 5400RPM.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    that's not the cable, look

5400RPM
    7200RPM

Of course the 7200 is gonna be faster.
    Quote Quote