VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So I needed a tool that would allow me to combine videos together without having to re-encode anything, just wanted to combine videos. I'm capturing all my parents old VHS tapes into digital form, and while the PowerDirector software I'm using does a great job and outputs decent quality video with no fuss, it has some stupid feature for detecting copyrighted videos that stops the capture whenever one of the tapes has bad quality video going on. So I am ending up with a few tapes cut into multiple parts that I just need to combine into one video. So I found losslesscut

The tool is very simple to use, and while the video in the resulting ouptut file looks fine, the audio is all noise. You can barely hear the original audio under all the noise. But mostly just static noise. Any thoughts as to what setting might be causing this? If there is another simple tool like losslesscut that would do this for me I'm open to that as well. Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    Sounds like this tool mixed up the bitness of the audio (Motorola vs. intel byte order of 16-bit samples). I guess it can be swapped rather easily.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Sounds like this tool mixed up the bitness of the audio (Motorola vs. intel byte order of 16-bit samples). I guess it can be swapped rather easily.
    How can such a thing happen, with a tool decent enough to have its dedicated page on VideoHelp ?
    And how can such a thing be fixed with an audio file ?
    Once I wanted to extract data from a standalone DVD/HDD recorder ; I imaged the HDD, turned out that no data could be deciphered, at first I thought that it was some kind of encryption, but then I noticed sections in plain text which made sense once bytes were inverted two by two (for instance “OTHSBI AVD-DiVed onIof” => “TOSHIBA DVD-Video Info”) ; and long story short, it could be made readable with WinHex : Edit > Modify data > Reverse byte order. (Don't know another tool that can perform that operation.)
    But I'm not sure if it would apply here (it would mess the header I guess).

If there is another simple tool like losslesscut that would do this for me I'm open to that as well.
    Avidemux perhaps ? (If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you ever tried... -- Sorry, wrong quote. I mean : if at first you don't succeed, try an older version, Avidemux has a track record of updates breaking formerly perfectly working features. You can try several versions in “portable” mode, so you don't clutter the system's registry with repeated install / uninstall procedures.)
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ha for some reason I didn't have replies set on this post so I never got these responses! Thanks for the responses. I'm going to give Avidemux a try.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Avidemux worked a treat btw. Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  6. I like the idea of splitting because it retains quality.
    Reformatting must often be done for a self-congratulatory task.

Often program choice isn't an issue, but of my experience:
    Lossless Cut can screw up the Audio between sections.
    Avidemux can have image glitches between sections.
    SMMVSplitter has been flawless to date.
    Quote Quote