VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have several 1280 x 720 resolution clips and can rotate and render them as 720 x 1280 using Vegas Pro, but they don't expand in VLC player to fill the screen when it's set to portrait view. What settings am I getting wrong ?

The starting resolution of the clip is 1280 x 720 and I've tried project settings 720 x 1280, rendered as 720 x 1280.

[Attachment 69420 - Click to enlarge]

I've also tried project settings 1270 x 720, rendered as 720 x 1280.

The capture area when rotating is capturing only the video area, so I'm not including any extra space, yet space does appear in the clip.

[Attachment 69421 - Click to enlarge]

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Using Vegas 19, I used crop settings like below, encoded using Voucoder (Vegas plugin to encode mp4 or mkv using x264) to mp4:
    original as 1280x720, encoded video is rotated 720x1280, all players play it correctly,
    I think to uncheck that Lock Aspect Ratio is important, and also you can manually adjust width and height values so they are exactly 720 and 1280 in that crop window
    [Attachment 69428 - Click to enlarge]

[Attachment 69426 - Click to enlarge]
    Last edited by _Al_; 25th Feb 2023 at 12:35.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks, I've started to enter the precise values rather than drag the box area. But after several hours, rendering all sorts of formats and resolutions and reinstalling both the player and Vegas, I've finally found where the problem lies. When you render, you choose which default template/format to use, and obviously they are ALL a landscape format. Whilst you can click on custom template and swap the resolution around, I'd already tried this but it didn't correct the problem, so what's going on ? What you need to do is change the format resolution ( for me it was 1080 x 1920 for a portrait view ), and then SAVE as a template. Program will tell you, you can't save to a default template name, so you give it a new name in the box named "template" at the top ( i.e my portrait template ) and it then appears alongside all the default templates. Choose this template to render with and the clip now fills the screen when the monitor is rotated 90 degrees. This won't keep me awake at night now !
    Quote Quote  
  4. ok
    interestingly, voukoder just encodes project resolution even if selecting general template,

voukoder has more advantages, it uses x264 encoder, full specs, like limiting buffers as you wish and more importantly encoding CRF right out of Vegas without frame server. It can use zscale library , that's a good library to change resolution, if for example need to export more resolution from Vegas and at the same time you can change color space if downsizing to SD etc. Also it has hqdn3d, nlmeans, removegrain noise removers.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've just downloaded a copy of voucoder, so will see what it offers at some point. Thanks.
    Quote Quote