VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Porting some stuff over from old XP to win 10. One of these is Cool Edit Pro v1.5 which I record with in XP selecting 'What U Hear" in the Recording Mixer.
    Win 10 is completely different and I can't find the equivalent Recording Mixer. Looking at record settings in Cool Edit (XP) you see the Record mixer but the same step in Win 10 brings up error "Can not find mixer Program sndvol32 /r". Then is says an alternate mixer applet may be specified in the registry.

This is beyond me to figure out, can anyone help? I have gone to Sound - Recording in Win 10 and set "Stereo mix" as the recording device - and can see some indication of a signal, but Cool Edit cannot.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    "What U Hear" was an XP era driver. There are probably some equivalents out there, but that particular driver may not work in Win10.

If you are trying to get sounds recorded that are coming from other apps, I would suggest you go the route of Audacity, or maybe even better for this task: VoiceMeeter (one from that family- basic, Banana, Potato...). With it, I know you can easily route any running app and mix it, along with mics, wav files, etc, into it's built in recorder (looks like a tape deck in the corner).

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I'm on windows 11 and i have "What U Hear"in my recording tab in the sound in control panel.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Scott, I did install Audacity but ran into the same problem. I'm playing a CD (in the internal CDROM) in Winamp. In Volume Mixer I see the levels as expected but not in Sound-Recording. (Whether propeties are "listen to this device" or not).
    I suspect if I could liven the Sound VU i may get audio into Audition (or Audacity). I'd prefer Audition as I'm used to it.
    Do you know if that is possible?
    The recording properties for AA, gives the error below but I think that is another issue to sort after the above. It is pre-Win10, but i wa shoping to work it our or find someone who'd done it.
    John I haven't Win11 but good that's back. I wondered if it were a 'feature' of the audio used by the OS.

I will give Voice meeter a try if its known to record from audio from the CDROM.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	aa.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	193.5 KB
ID:	68209  

Quote Quote  
  5. Install the audio driver from the manufacturer of your audio device. The drivers Windows installs only support basic features.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    @johns0, that driver is available on certain hardware, but it isn't universal. Glad to hear (pardon the pun) that it works with Win11, though.

Btw, VB-audio (the folks giving us voicemeeter) have a couple of very helpful tools there, including virtual patchcables. Which work with many setups.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  7. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I have a sound blaster audigy rx5 and lot of the sound blasters have the "what you hear" option.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If I install SOUND BLASTER AUDIGYFX (cheap soundcard) would that have 'What you Hear ?
    Quote Quote  
  9. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Probability not,it's for higher ranked sound blaster cards,just look into the details to see if it's their.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks I won't go down that route, the specs don't mention if 'What u Hear' is supported or not. I will try Scotts suggestion of VoiceMeeter if I can get info from them about recording. It looks a bit complicated, and it's not clear to me what to download. But will have a go...
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Check the tutorials for setting up VoiceMeeter, on Youtube, they are very helpful.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Will do, thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Pretty steep learning curve to begin with. Appears to do so much more than I need. Tried logging into their forum but never got the confirmation email.
    Can you tell me which would be best for recording CDDA from internal CDROM, like Banana or Potato etc...
    And a download link would be be great too. Is the 'tape deck' for recording the cassette image ?
    Quote Quote