VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. hallo everybody

i'm a complete newbie in video ripping/encoding stuff, and i'm not that better in linux, either

i downloaded and compiled all of transcode stuff, and i wanted to convert an .avi movie i have in a vcd compliant .mpeg, so i just tried one of the examples from transcode's page out of the box

transcode -i movie.avi -V -y mpeg -F v,1 -E 44100 -b 224 -o tmpmovie
    tcmplex -o finalmovie.mpg -i tmpmovie.m1v -p tmpmovie.mpa -m v

the programs went and did their job, but when i viewed the resulting finalmovie.mpeg, the colors were completely crmmed (it was mostly black and white, with some red and green "shadows" around, kind like the color channels were "misplaced")

BTW, the audio was ok

the original movie.avi had no problems, i could see it both in Win and Lin with MPlayer and Xine

The result finalmovie.mpeg had exactly the same problems with both MPlayer and Xine, so i guess it's the transcoding that went wrong, not the players' fault. they also seem to work perfectly with other movies i have.

to say the truth, the console output of gmplayer says it has some problems regarding colors when opening the file, but now i'm not at my box and i can't paste the messages

Only thing i can say more is that when i tried to convert the .avi under Windows with tmpgenc or nandub, it could not open it and said it was an "unknown DX50 format" (that's why i tried with transcode in the first place), but i sorted it out by installing some new codecs from the Nimo pack

could it be i have to upgrade the divx codecs in linux, too?

as you can see from the transcode command line i wrote i don't specify any import codec (by the -x parameter), mostly because i don't understand a word of what the docs say about it, and transcode seems able to find it if you don't specify it

should i specify a specific input codec? if yes, which one? and how can i determine it by myself?

can anybody help me, please?

thank you very much for reading this far
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    could it be i have to upgrade the divx codecs in linux, too?
    Should think so. "DX50" means DivX 5. I guess you've got to install DivX 5 for Linux to get it working.

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  3. i do think i have divx 5 already

i installed all the stuff less than 1 month ago

anyway, how can i get sure? and how do i upgrade?

sorry for the obvious questions, but how i said i'm no expert in neither audio editing nor linux

i only managed to get everything working using the PLF Mandrake RPMs
    my sysadmin skills don't go beyond a ./configure - make - makeinstall :P

thank you very much for answering me!!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm a slave under M$ right now (I use to have a Linux period once every 3rd year or so...) so I'm not the right person to guide you further... I've read something about running older versions of TMPGEnc under Wine tho...
    When it comes to video stuff, the software available for Windows is much more abundant than for Linux, it seems. When this changes, maybe I'll have another Linux period?!

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  5. do a search for Kavi2svcd scripts are included .

try my page http://members.chello.nl/dkoppenaal/

try scripsts work well .all in one script for vcd/svcd cvcd

from a forum .

If you get wrong colours when transcoding some files, remove the -V option from transcode options. That will solve all problems.

The -V option uses the YV12/I420 as internal video codec which is much faster encoding, but it has problems with some files.
    Quote Quote  
  6. thanks again everybody

i'm going to try everything

the wine options seems interesting, but i remind tht i had to install the newest cocdecs in order for tmpgenc to work under win, so i guess it will give me problems under linux too

buildid, i'll definitely try all your options

by the way, can you point me to the forum you were talking of?
    Quote Quote  
  7. go to site of avidemux . they have a forum

and here small forum
    http://dvdripping-guid.berlios.de/forum/index.php
    Quote Quote  
  8. I tried removing the -V option

Everything I got was the same scrambled output but flipped vertically!!

Anyone has any idea???
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    DX50 is not the same thing as DivX 5.0
    Dx50 is an xvid codec. do a search on thihs site for DX50. There are many posts here about DX50 and links to the codec you need
    Quote Quote  
  10. i advise you to use avidemux i made several avi to vcd and svcd with this tool .

documentation is also good enough to made vcd or svcd from divx-xvid.
    Quote Quote  
  11. secretagent: thank you for your hint, but i've been searching azround this site and google for a while and still i'll haven't found a DX50 XviD codec to download. If you could give me a link I'd really appreciate it.

buildid: thanks, I'm going to try it. Doea avidemux also handle .mpeg to .mpeg conversions? I often need to do that because i burn many VCDs, and I noticed that my desktop player almost invariably "stutters" if I don't pass the .mpegs thru tmpgenc at "highest quality (very slow)" settings.
    Quote Quote  
  12. have a look at the forum , i believe it can do the job .

i made mine vcd with it and also svcd
    Quote Quote