VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Is there a software out there for converting flv to mpg that doesn't suck balls?

So far I've found 2 programs that are inadequate, MediaConverter and FLV to MPEG.

MediaConverter has been dropping frames it seems, I've often found jerkiness at the start that seems to be from frames missing, and when I redo it it comes out the same way. Not always, but enough clips have done this consistently that I've found the program to be unreliable, and therefore a waste of my time. A special thanks to whatever idiot developed that program for wasting hours of my time, you suck.

FLV to MPEG is a free program that I shouldn't be surprised sucks. It doesn't drop frames, but the quality of the mpg sucks. Absolute rubbish.

So, is there something out there that actually works for converting flv to mpg? What is everyone else out there using to do a proper conversion?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Just for fun this morning I was playing with the Pazera suite. First I tried converting crappy Youtube vids.
    I have to admit for an flv to mpg it did a bloody good job! So I tried an avi I had made from a DVD...surprising.
    That was good too but then, it does allow bitrates up to 12000 kbps so it should be. Fast too.
    Worth a whirl. Lots of others in the tool section: Freemake converter, Video to Video converter etc.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Format factory.

Also if you need an actual dvd from it look into freeware avstodvd - fyi format factory is also free

And if you need to just remux the video avidemux or winff can do it too. But remux just puts it into a new container. It will stay as the original video. A full reencode will be needed to change the codec to something else.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    avstodvd seems to do the trick. I'm not looking to make a file into a dvd, well...I am....but these little files need to be converted to be used in a project that will eventually be a dvd. But, I found settings that let me just convert to mpeg, and it does a decent job converting flv to mpeg without dropping frames or being overly compressed and looking like crap.

Thanks for the help.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Glad to help.

Actually you can compile your whole project with avstodvd if you want.

Edit - for conversion and authoring only - it isn't an editing program in terms of wipes or fades and special effects.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah....my project requires more than that, I really only need a converter.

avstodvd worked for a few clips, but I got a clip that somehow didn't come out right, it took a 4:3 clip, cropped it, but still kept it 4:3....not sure what is up with that, so I'm gonna try one of the others next.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    FFmpeg does a pretty fair job if you use the -crf, -q, -sameq, etc to keep quality. It's free, doesn't install except to a folder and links are everywhere:
    http://superuser.com/questions/483597/converting-flv-to-mp4-using-ffmpeg-and-preserving-the-quality.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, I'm still not finding quite what I need. the video to video converter is suffering the same problem that many of the converters I've tried suffer....IT WON'T LEAVE MY DAMN SOURCE MATERIAL ALONE!

I don't understand why these software programmers insist on dumping garbage out there that unnecessarily messes around with my video, dropping frames, cropping things....just messing everything up and wasting my time. Please, for the love of god, if you are going to program garbage, DON'T RELEASE IT OUT THERE!!!!!!! KEEP YOUR GARBAGE TO YOURSELF!

Meanwhile....here is all I need.

I need one basic simple converter, that doesn't involve command line stuff, that will just simply convert flv to mpeg, without dicking around, without futzing around, without cropping or changing things, without dropping frames......same video that went in is the same exact things that comes out, period.

Is there someone out there that understands that basic concept and has been able to make a simple converter that does just that, instead of messing around with my source material?

And while we're at it....any chance that the idiot programmers at Sony could all resign so we could get some decent programmers to make a version of Vegas that doesn't crash every 2 damn seconds?
    Last edited by Jon.G; 12th May 2013 at 00:44.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Pazera Video Converters Suite

http://www.pazera-software.com/products/vcsuite/

No installation (portable app). If you don't like it...delete it without system alteration. It's very simple and straightforward. It has custom controls and a small FFmpeg input box should you WANT to add scripts for control. I did 20 small videos (5 to 15 mins duration) and 3 full movies as a test with no dropped frames, no sync issues and without any aspect changes. Everything, including sound, can be customized. The interface looks simplistic but the results were creditable.

It was recently updated but I downloaded version 1.5 on the recommendation of a friend.
    Last edited by transporterfan; 12th May 2013 at 05:04.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    This may all be useless, I can't keep vegas open more than a minute at this point due to what an unstable piece of crap it is...
    Quote Quote  
  11. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    That's old news, I'm using vegas pro 10 now. I had that old 9 install kicking around, and the codec I originally used to record in the starting source wasn't compatible with the 64 bit vegas pro 10, so I converted it to a compatible codec, and am now using 10 pro. But it seems to go through fits of instability where it crashes constantly, forcing me to save every time I touch anything, and have to deal with crashing and reopening, which is wasting so much of my time.

I am sick and tired of everything I do taking longer than it should, and precious time being wasted, due to some idiot's incompetence that couldn't make software work as it should....people have got to stop releasing garbage. It just must stop already.

Anyways, it seemed to stablize itself after a while, and things were running good the past week or so, but tonight it is just not happy at all. I just have a few minor touches I need to make, but 2 hours later I'm barely anywhere with it, due to not being able to get my replacement video to line up exactly with what is being replaced, and vegas crashing anytime I try to do a damn thing about it.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Lol. sorry. just read the thread. didn't realise til now it was your original post!! My bad.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by Jon.G View Post
    avstodvd worked for a few clips, but I got a clip that somehow didn't come out right, it took a 4:3 clip, cropped it, but still kept it 4:3....not sure what is up with that, so I'm gonna try one of the others next.
    Could you please post the log file of AVStoDVD project with troubles?

Bye
    MrC

AVStoDVD Homepage
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Jon.G View Post
    Is there a software out there for converting flv to mpg that doesn't suck balls?
    All this time and nobody has stated the obvious?
    ....it's because FLV is garbage.
    Oh yea....you COULD create a really high quality FLV file if you tried hard enough....but you almost never get those from places like YouTube. FLV is a crap, dead-end format. Once something is converted to FLV, kiss it goodbye.
    Quote Quote