VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    preferably someone with a clarkdale, though non sandy bridge owners are also welcome.

basically what i want is to test out a theory of mine regarding the intel media sdk encoder, i only currently have a quad core cpu at my disposal and intel's compiler automatically disables various optimizations when it detects an executable compiled with the intel compiler is running on a non intel cpu.

i would like it if you would download the latest media coder and test out the intel encoder, both the mpeg-2 and h264, at various resolutions and bit rates and report back what kind of fps you are getting.

the documentation also makes it seem like integrated intel gpu's (g45 and later) as well as clarkdale based cpu's will also be able to make partial use of hardware acceleration, as the motion search calculations are carried out by the gpu, so if someone can test with and without hardware acceleration, it would be great as i think many on this site may find such benchmarks useful.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I get error code 14 (encoder not working) when I try to use the Intel h.264 encoder. I'm running the 64 bit version of Mediacoder and I can see the intel encoder in the codecs64 folder.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    I get error code 14 (encoder not working) when I try to use the Intel h.264 encoder. I'm running the 64 bit version of Mediacoder and I can see the intel encoder in the codecs64 folder.
    odd, i'm using media coder 64 build 5050 and the intel encoder works fine for me, for both mpeg-2 and h264, i get 10 fps going from 1080p h264 @20 mb/s to 720p h264 @4 mb/s and about 30 fps going to 720p mpeg-2 @6 mb/s.

i assume you are choosing "intel encoder" from within the drop box labelled "encoder"?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by deadrats View Post
    i assume you are choosing "intel encoder" from within the drop box labelled "encoder"?
    Yes. And running on a Q6600 CPU. Mediacoder 5060 RC3. I was using a DV AVI file as source. X264 and CUDA worked.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Doesn't work on my Q6600 either (same error).

CUDA is twice as fast as x264 using way less CPU though. X264=28fps and CUDA=54fps. Any way to use CUDA + 100% CPU?

EDIT: I guess the reason that CUDA looked so fast is because of Mediacoder's quality settings. I encoded the same file with with Virtualdub's external encoder using x264 with this argument...

--crf 24 --preset fast --tune film --demuxer raw --input-csp i420 --input-res %(width)x%(height) --fps %(fpsnum)/%(fpsden) -o "%(tempvideofile)" -

and it encoded at 12fps so I can only assume that Mediacoder is using an ultrafast preset.

I'm encoding 1080p DivX to 1080p H264 MKV.
    Last edited by DarrellS; 2nd Mar 2011 at 13:38.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    @jagabo

the intel encoder has a color space limitation in that it only accepts input of rgb24, rgb32, nv12, yv12 and yuy2 and only outputs nv12.

i'm still using build 5050 of media coder but i have noticed that if you have anything other than "I420" as your color space choice under the "picture" tab, then the encode will fail, but the error message would indicate that it was a color space problem and incorrect parameters for the encoder.

try again using the above color space setting, or it may just be that stan screwed up with this build and borked something.
    Quote Quote  
  7. It was already set to I420. I tried a few of the others and got incompatible color space errors followed by the same codec error.
    Quote Quote  
  8. CUDA is twice as fast as x264 using way less CPU though
    I would hold such truths to be self evident .. eg if the GPU is used for the encode, then CPU will be less used ??
    Actually it would be interesting to see the work flow of any encode and where the bottlenecks are. TOMSHARDWAE review stated the GFX card encodes get their speed from hardware decoding rather than any parallelization of the code onto the GPU or at least that was my understanding of their conclusion.
    Corned beef is now made to a higher standard than at any time in history.
    The electronic components of the power part adopted a lot of Rubycons.
    Quote Quote