VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have school stuff. A web page with four audios on it. Just black slider bars.

I can play them but there's no 'download audio' thing, no 'save audio' and no identification I can find of what's going on.

I want to save them to hard drive. I looked at the page source code but I couldn't identify anything that would help.

I guess if I use OBS I'll be able to do it but I wonder if there's something I could learn here. Surely there's a clue in that page source somewhere?

I can post a link if it helps but I think it just might lead to a log in screen and no one would be able to log in to the school site.

I can post the page source though.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    One thing you can try...

Does your browser have a Page Info option? Navigate to the page, select Page Info, and see if the files show up in the Media tab. You may be able to save the files from there.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, thanks.

I use Firefox. It has page source and some 'tools'. I've seen the source as I said. I just tried the 'tools' and all I got seemed to be the source again.

It's a funny thing - when I first got that page up today, a few minutes ago, I was able to download the first one. I got the 'download audio' menu option on a right click.

But since then I haven't been able to get any of the others and nor have I got that menu option for the first one again, either.

I'll try pass you the link just in case you can open it: https://learn.tafesa.edu.au/course/view.php?id=1826#section-8
    Quote Quote  
  4. Guests cannot access this course. Please log in.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Do they allow you to DL on that site? This is what I asked last year in a similar thread (https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/401561-Help-To-Download-Student-Audio-File) and you sidestepped the answer by saying nobody was available to answer you then. But it's been a year, What did they say?

If you are doing this contrary to their wishes, it is violating your terms of service with them. Not a good relationship to have with your own educational institution.

Please check on this with your institution's sysadmins THOROUGHLY, in good faith, for your own good. As a sysadmin in a similar institution, I know they try to help facilitate ease of access to their materials, if it's legitimately allowed. And if it ISN'T allowed, bypassing things is short-sighted and perilous (they do have usage logs, you know). Not even counting legal issues, you don't want to be jeopardizing your educational career.

Scott
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 29th Jun 2022 at 12:59.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I got the same as jack for viewing the video.

I believe you will need a screen capture software.
    That should get Audio & Video.
    Then you just extract the Audio.

If this video works like YouTube or similar.
    You might be able to use 4K Video Downloader it is freeware.
    It can download just the audio if it works for this video.

FireFox also has an add-on Video Download Helper.
    It might work.
    It's kind of hit & miss.
    If what it shows is too small on data for the video or audio you want then it won't work.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yep. I'll use OBS.
    I've tried the download helper things - they don't work because I can't give them an URL it can work with.
    Thanks for looking at the question.

p.s. about 'do they allow' - yes, they do. I've been downloaded course material for two years. But they're a bit chaotic and ramshackle and they employ 'lecturers' on very short term bases. Like they might deliver four lectures over six weeks and then they tell you their contract has expired and you won't be able to contact them and the best of luck with your studies. And that's that.

And if that lecturer has posted something in the wrong - like these here - then you can't get them. And if you're lucky enough to find someone in the organisation who'll look into they tell you just that: wrong thing posted, can't help.

The quality of everything is wildly variable. We just had a lecturer didn't know the law and when shown the law she still couldn't interpret it correctly and persisted in a wrong teaching. And part of her 'teaching' was that the law is written in 'difficult to understand way'. Despite her job being to make it easy to understand. And despite the law always being written in the clearest way anyone can think of. Even though often allowing various interpretations etc. Essentially what they're always striving to do is make it unambiguous and cover all eventualities.

Maybe that's not pertinent. Sorry. It just came out. But yes, It is standard for it to be downloadable and my advice is that this woman posted this stuff incorrectly.

I am very intrigued by what I mentioned: I was able to download the first one.

That's not supposed to be possible. The 'help' advice I got was that the wrong kind of file had been uploaded and they couldn't help me. The current setup is not amenable to downloading, no way.

But there you are: i got the menu choice on a right click 'download audio' and I selected and got it. I have it here for proof. I sent it to the 'help' to show them.

I find that intriguing on a computer level. What's possibly going on there? That's why I've come to a computer savvy forum to enquire.

If there is anyone here who's into that kind of detail the best I can do is perhaps forward the page source html code.

It's freaky. It's weird. But it happened.

Could it have been that someone there had it 'switched on' despite this man claiming it could not be, and it just coincidentally happened that while I was downloading one he 'switched it off' ?
    Last edited by abrogard; 29th Jun 2022 at 15:05.
    Quote Quote  
  8. The 4K downloader does require the URL.
    The Firefox Video Download Helper uses the information on the webpage with the video.

I haven't used OBS.

My screen capture software is payware.
    It is ZD Soft Screen Recorder.

If I could get to the video I would try FF to see if it would work.
    There is no way without a login for the site.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I suppose I better not give out my login. That could be severely tragic for me.

I think youtube-dl uses ffmpeg doesn't it? And it wouldn't/couldn't do it.

I've got the video helper but couldn't get it to do anything. Nor the other couple of things I've got.

OBS got them all for me.

But I"m still very interested of course, especially as I now know somehow or other it can happen with the current setup as I found out when that first fluky one downloaded. Unless that coincidence of someone switching if off thing happened.
    Quote Quote  
  10. On the login. I didn't expect you or anyone to share a login.
    Just letting you know there was no way to test the videos on that site without a login.

For YouTube Downloader: I have not used it for many years.
    So I don't know if it uses ffmpeg.

For the FireFox Video Download Helper.
    As I posted it is hit & miss but sometimes has worked for me when nothing else did.
    Other times it fails miserably.
    It does require the following:
    Companion app: VdhCoApp 1.6.1

I believe you captured the first page video with a Gllitch or Fluky as you posted.

I did download & use OBS to see how it worked for me.
    I believe it will be a useful tool for my toolbox.
    So thanks for it as I had not heard of it.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Aha... that's the whole thing: what was that glitch or fluke? In fact we know there are no glitches, no flukes. There's concrete reasons for every thing a computer does. I'd love to know. But probably never will.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    There are glitches & flukes in computers, even though they do exactly as they are told.

Because, they are being told (programmed, operated) by humans who have glitches, flukes, biases and all other sorts of imperfection. This is partly the reason I consider the premise of the "hope" of AI as flawed.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ah, yes, a semantic thing. question of definition. I used to write a lot of code with that kind of glitch in it.
    Quote Quote  
  14. For glitches the hardware of a computer can be flawed even when new & gets that way for sure after a few years use.
    If it didn't then it would never need to be replaced.

For software MS is the best example for glitches or code run amok.
    How often are Windows updates issued ?
    At least once a month. If the code was perfect with no glitches it wouldn't need to be updated.
    We could still be using Windows 95.

For what happened that allowed you you download one of the videos: no one knows.
    Maybe if you had Inspected element in your browser right after you might have found something.
    But probably not.
    Quote Quote