VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Chrissyboy!

Remember: I use WinMe.

I was just preparing to utter a mild complaint about DVDMenuMaker staying in memory after use, possibly causing problems there so that I had to do a CTRL-ALT-DEL to remove it, but I thought I had seen it in the update, so I decided to try it out first.

WOW! When I clicked "Encode", I got a lot of DOS Boxes (WinME feature?), plus error messages. One complaining about there not being a file called MSVCR71.DLL. On searching the system, I found that there are four altogether, same length, date, time, properties, one in a Microsoft.Net Folder, and three more in W\System\URTTemp. I copied one of them to W\System -everyone dumps tons of rubbish in there so no one will notice- and WinMe seemed happy.

On the second try, DVDMM did the same, but then complained that Mpeg2Enc could not start because a file MSVCP71.DLL was missing. There are 50's, 60's and 70's aplenty, but no 71.

What was worse, the other programs popped up their boxes as well, and they stayed open, covering up error messages, and could not be moved. In fact, when I tried to bring some order into the chaos, I got a blue screen which could not be got rid of, and the whole episode had to end in a reboot.

One thing I know. I am not going to update the MenuMaker program on the other PC standing next to this one, which is now busy recording more mpg stuff. Maybe I could copy its version to this one, though..

Callan

ADDITION:
    Did some searching on the Net and found that both MSVCR71.DLL and MSVCP71.DLL need to be inside the application folder, in our case SVCD2DVD, (instead of or in addition to) the Windows\System folder.

Would it not be nice if you provided them with the next update, Chrissyboy? For it was difficult to find a place to download the critters from. Microsoft talks a lot about them, but does not have them on their site for download. All on the good old MS support tradition..

However, I did find both, in US English version, at http://test.saurik.com/tools/libraries/. I don't know who they are but I feel like cuddling 'em till they squeak.

For DVDMenuMaker does not bomb out any more. What ik keeps doing, however, is staying in memory after finishing. When one uses the TaskManager to look and end this particular task, after some 15 secs a window coms up saying it is 'Not responding'.

Will you solve this one, too, Chrissyboy, in the usual speedy manner?

Callan
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ok. Well the MSVC*.dll issues have been resolved as i've rolled back the multiplexer. (i had included a faster compile but this doesn't work for everyone). Thanks to your analysis i may bundle those dlls & try again. (it muxes about 50% quicker)

the dos boxes are a winme feature. no such boxes are spawned on 2000/xp os's

the fact that it stays in memory is strange. Are you saying it closes but still shows in task manager or does it not close at all?
    SVCD2DVD v2.5, AVI/MPEG/HDTV/AviSynth/h264->DVD, PAL->NTSC conversion.
    VOB2MPG PRO, Extract mpegs from your DVDs - with you in control!
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Dear Chrissyboy,

You asked: "the fact that it stays in memory is strange. Are you saying it closes but still shows in task manager or does it not close at all?"

The window does close after DVDMM has put its procuce into Application Data\Badgersoft, but the program is still listed in the Task Manager, and somehow active, as it reacts when I try to start it again.

Callan
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ok Callan. Can you email me. I have a new build to address this. I need you to test as i can't replicate this on my non WinMe PC
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Chris!

DVDMM, after all this time and updates, STILL stays in memory after use (and pressing Encode). Window disappears, but the TaskManager still lists it. At first as yet another program in its collection. After a minute or so, with the addition of '(Not responding)'.

If I do not 'kill' it there, forget about it, and later double-click the desktop icon for making another Menu, I get the Error with the, to my mind, totally unrelated mumbo jumbo other people report about. Something about 'could not be handled'.

With all these cordless mouses around, it may well be that people THINK they double-click but in fact 'triple-click'. As DVDMM clearly does not tolerate a second incarnation, they get this Error.

For what it is worth,

Callan
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Indeed - it is an outrage.....

I have a new build for you to try: drop me an email. (if i could replicate this it would have been sorted by now)

CB
    Quote Quote