VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Encountered this a few times, but here is the most recent incident:

I collect foreign dvd's and sometimes there rare/expensive so I don't like over use originals so what I've been doing is making copies and then doing whatever w/ the copies saving the originals

This one movie when I first got it I made a copy and put the original back on the shelf, something happened to the original so I went to make another copy and found that the disc wouldn't rip.

I tried it on 3 different drives, on 2 computers, 2 different OS's

Was wondering if someone would know why discs stop reading properly. Do they need to be viewed preiodically or they stop working properly, like a car?
    Quote Quote  
  2. What kind of error are you getting?
    Quote Quote  
  3. it's not so much an error, but the disc would be ripping the vob and then randomly it would just start read errors, but the disc wasn't physically damaged, almost perfect, and it read before so I know the disc worked
    Quote Quote  
  4. Not sure how isobuster solves my problem. That's meant for if I had ripped it and wanted to extract the info.

I'm already using dvd decryptor, smartripper, dvd shrink....That's where I'm getting the read errors from
    Quote Quote  
  5. NO..read the topic..that is what ISObuster is for.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by meping

I'm already using dvd decryptor, smartripper, dvd shrink....That's where I'm getting the read errors from

These are not working for you.right? Try isobuster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    @canadateck:
    You sure like ISOBuster
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by jimmalenko
    @canadateck:
    You sure like ISOBuster
    Lmao...saved my sweet ass afew times...LOL
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    But it won't work on discs with CSS.
    Discs that are "unreadable" is just as much the fault of a drive.

DVD burners have crap DVD reader lasers (most of them), and then most cheapo DVD-ROMs are the same. I use my LG ROM drive or BTC burner (one of the best lasers around!) for reading hard discs.

DVD Decrypter for CSS discs, with speed dropped to 1x and retires set really high (20).
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank Discs • Best TBCs • Best VCRs for capture • Restore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  10. He trying to read a DVDr so no CSS..But could be the drive.Many other things to, first software then hardware.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Anon45
    Hey! My DVD+R DL is unreadable in my LG DVD-Burner... but it's readable in my LG Blu-ray Player. Any help here? Thanks!

Already tried ISOBuster...
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search PM
    You dug up a 12 year old thread? Must be a fan of zombie shows.

If the drive won't read it and ISOBuster has failed, you are down to trying the disc in another DVD drive. I'd suggest a Lite-on DVD burner if you can get access to one.

You could also try to rip it with DVDDecrypter (yes I know that your disc is unencrypted) and set the retries to a higher number than the default...maybe 20 tries. See if it will make it through the bad sectors, but it is admittedly a long shot attempt. If you can get a copy on the hard drive, you can burn to another DL disc. Use only Verbatim +R DL discs.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Anon45
    [deleted]
    Last edited by Anon45; 1st Apr 2016 at 15:16.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by LifeDream777 View Post
    I searched Google and this is what I found.
    There is no rule preventing you from creating a new thread. In fact, members are encouraged to create a new thread to ask a question even if a similar thread created by someone else exists. Since most here consider grave digging and thread hijacking to be impolite, you may get more help by avoiding both.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Anon45
    [deleted]
    Last edited by Anon45; 1st Apr 2016 at 15:14.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well that was rude.

It was quicker just to reply to this.
    Kerry56 gave you the same answer I would have. I merely explained what is customary here, and is likely true in most other forums as well.

The extra effort required to create a new thread is negligible. However, since it appears you enjoy receiving personal criticism and probably like having extra attention from forum moderators, just keep grave robbing and thread hijacking because it saves a few keystrokes. You will get both guaranteed
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 1st Apr 2016 at 14:34.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Anon45
    [deleted]
    Last edited by Anon45; 1st Apr 2016 at 15:14.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What the hell makes you think I enjoy criticism and attention? Are you crazy? Or are you just pulling things outta your ass??

It doesn't just save keystrokes. It's saves looking for the proper forum, thinking of the proper way to introduce a new question, posting it, and waiting hours for a reply.

I've been posting on forums for 21 years. I think I know the etiquette. Now you can stop being rude.
    Posting in old threads is no guarantee of a quick answer. You could still wait for hours anyway.

The rolleyes emoticon conveys sarcasm. I gave you a sarcastic warning about the usual consequences of digging up old threads and thread hijacking here. Thread hijacking is specifically prohibited by the forum rules, so yes, you may receive attention from a moderator when you dig up an old thread.

You are very familiar with nettiquete, eh? So, in other words you don't care about being rude, as long as it allows you to avoid a little extra effort. Good to know.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Anon45
    Originally Posted by Kerry56 View Post
    If the drive won't read it and ISOBuster has failed, you are down to trying the disc in another DVD drive. I'd suggest a Lite-on DVD burner if you can get access to one.
    I bought a new drive. Thanks, Kerry!
    Quote Quote