VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    shrink, recode2, clonedvd2, dvd2oneV2, Rebuilder will output ISO folder. why do people insist in using the very unstabled, complicated, error producing nero to burn? why not the very simple and reliabled IMGBurn, or decrypter? just wondering. is it better? why?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Because it is very stable, easy to use, and reliable.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It has had periods of stability - version 5.5 was pretty good. Then it got stupidly big and unwieldy, and consequently lost focus on what it used to do well.

The reason it was integrated into so many tools as the burning engine of choice was because the API allowed to to be done easily, and when it was first done, the burning engine was worth the effort. It was soon overtaken by simpler, more reliable and better tools such as DVD Decrypter/ImgBurn in some tools (notably DVD Shrink), but not as widely as should have happened.

That said, I never encode and burn in one go. It is always worth testing on the HDD before burning, rather than wasting a disc.

Another reason that people chose to use Nero is it's wider range of burning options. Imgburn requires that you have an image in the first place. While it is not hard to create one, it isn't the most friendly way to work. I have ImgBurn, and I use when needed, but most of my burning, including DVD Video, is doen through Prassi ONES, again because of the wider burning options. Try creating an audio CD with ImgBurn.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am not a Nero basher or lover for that matter but I've come to realize that whenever a piece of software "fails" to perform to some user's expectations when in fact works perfectly well for others, it usually boils down to a problem with that person's machine. Something is more than likey not quite right with their machine's state of health. The problem is no one wants to admit to that and so it's eqasy to start bashing a tool without 1st thouroughly and fairly checking their machine for a possible reason it is not liking a particular program. Of course there are BAD programs aout there but NERO has been around for a very long time and at least for me and on my 3 machines, it has done all I've ever asked of it. Having said that, I do all my DVD r burns from ISOs with ImgBurn. Easy and free. That does not mean I could not use Nero ( any version ) if I cose to do so and get 100% results.
    No DVD can withstand the power of DVDShrink along with AnyDVD!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    NERO sucks for DVD Video burning ...

I only use ImgTools (the classic version only) and ImgBurn (DVD Decrypter before that).

Best combo out there!

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Its like the dog chasing his tail

Haven't we got better things to discuss than bash the old stuff. over and over again ?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Nero has a good product. I would fault them with rushing products to the market before they are adequately debugged. Historically, the early revisions of a new release are buggy so it's important to update to the newest version. All you have to do is download it from nero.com. Failure to update is probably one of the biggest reasons for problems with Nero.

The second reason for negative comments about Nero is "hairy chest syndrome". Nero is the market leader in burning software. That makes them a target for the self-anointed experts. Criticizing Nero is a mutated way to brag for these characters. Sure, there are "better" products for certain specific tasks but Nero is a very good all around product.

If someone suggests a specific product and describes with specifics about how it does a better job, their comments are worth considering. Those types of comments may be valid or maybe not, but at least they are worth considering. Just keep in mind that some personalities like to take the opposing point of view just to do a little unfounded bragging. They are best ignored.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Over the years I have heard of way too many people having issues with NERO for the blame to be user error (all the time). I mean it was just too much for it to be user error in all or even most of the cases.

I only ever found one person (who must have had one messed up computer) that couldn't get the combo of ImgTools classic and DVD Decrypter to work for their burning purposes.

Also there are many stories of people burning with NERO and having limited compatability who find that when they then burn (same project ... same media) with DVD Decrypter (now ImgBurn) that suddenly the DVD is more compatable in more DVD players etc.

I still use NERO for burning audio and data CD-R discs and even for burning the odd (don't do it much) data DVD-R but never ever again will I use it for DVD Video burning use.

I tried NERO when I first got a DVD burner back in the "early" days and it failed me ... I'm only too happy to report that I switched after burning just 2 DVD discs ... umm coasters ... thus saving myself a lot of possible grief had I tried to "stick" with NERO for DVD Video burning.

So yeah ... I try to spread the word about ImgTools classic and ImgBurn whenever I can and although I do have a hairy chest it has nothing to do with NERO bashing :P

"The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Nero is a company name, not a product.

I have to agree with SCDVD, most problems are user error when it comes to using Nero or Roxio burning software, especially as it concerns failure to maintain updates on new numbered versions (6.0, 7.0, etc). Roxio's burning software has the added "benefit" that the program really does perform poorly.

"Nero" is often blamed because people use their inferior software products in the suites. I don't care if "Nero" lets you author DVDs, that has nothing to do with the actual burning. NeroVision is not Nero Burning ROM. Author correctly in authorware. Nero Burning ROM is a solid product for most tasks. Varying versions have trouble adhering to DVD-Video specs, so watch for that. It's NeroVision and other Nero software that is truly crappy.

Saying you "use Nero for burning" is about on par with saying you "use Microsoft for typing".
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ROF
    Because it is very stable, easy to use, and reliable.
    Agreed. After MUCH use, my previous Nero 5.5, and current Nero 6 burning rom, have worked like a charm and never given me any problems.
    Quote Quote  
  11. The only reason one might need Nero is to burn VCD bin/cue files. Other than that, you can use freeware apps such as ImgBurn, DVD Decrypter, and ImgTool classic.

Even the freeware version of VCDEasywill burn VCD bin/cues, but only if you have a compatible drive (an older one).

Darryl
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Image software cannot backup data. The end.
    There is far too much assumption that you have an image to start with.

Comparing apples to oranges.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  13. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dphirschler
    The only reason one might need Nero is to burn VCD bin/cue files. Other than that, you can use freeware apps such as ImgBurn, DVD Decrypter, and ImgTool classic.

Even the freeware version of VCDEasywill burn VCD bin/cues, but only if you have a compatible drive (an older one).
    But even if all those applications worked wouldn't it be cheaper to just purchase Nero? Unless you are one of those leeches out there who does not support the freeware authors whose product you are utilizing.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm with Fulci on this one. I could have wrote his post practically word for word. It works great for data discs or for disc to disc copy (music not DVD).
    If you turn error checking off, you'll find that most errors on CD burns are false in Nero but I've still burned enough DVD coasters with Nero and turned right around and successfully burned with Decrypter to think it's coincidence or user error.
    It's still a great program with alot of usefull tools but for DVD burning, it's definately not my software of choice.

My friend swears by Nero because it's the only program that he has learned to use (he has the fully loaded expensive version) but every time I go to his house, his PC room's trash can is loaded with coasters.

Most peole would rather use an all in one tool that is fair at all and master of none than to learn to use the right tool for each job.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Since Nero Burning ROM has an API (applications program interface), other software can call the Nero Burning function. This is something that the user may not even realize. For example, DVD Shrink doesn't even have a burning function. It has to use a separate burning program.

As is the case with most software suite products, when you get away from the core application the extended products may not be that good. Would you not use Windows because the included Paint program isn't a good graphics editor? But there is probably a hairy-chested Microsoft Paint lover somewhere who would criticize Adobe Photoshop as "memory hogging bloatware" too.

Nero Vision is not the program to use if you want a good authoring program anymore than you would want to use Microsoft Paint to do graphics design with. But the casual novice user might find it convenient.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Image software cannot backup data.
    That's the sole use for Folder2Iso. Generating an iso from data files/folders to feed to ImgBurn. That's all it does, but it does it very well.

There is far too much assumption that you have an image to start with.
    Some people do, indeed, dislike the intermediate step of creating an iso. LighningUK! is currently working on upgrading ImgBurn so it will also be able to take data files/folders or video structures directly, without using another program to generate an iso. It's not available yet, but until it is, I really like the results I get from ImgBurn, so the two step process (make iso - burn iso) doesn't really bother me.
    Quote Quote  
  17. ImgTool Classic also converts folders to iso. I'll say it again, the only reason I have found to require Nero for is burning VCD bin/cues. And I am confident that ImgBurn will tackle that in the future.

Darryl
    Quote Quote  
  18. IMHO Nero works fine, Feed it Quality media (MIJ/Verbatim) in a quality drive (Pioneer 109) and have no problems. I have found the 109 to be a bit picky on media, Discs that burn fine in a Lite-On give erratic results in the Pioneer.

DVD Decrypter works fine too but why go through the extra work to make an image when authoring?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have no propblems with Nero 6 with my LG-GSA-4163B drive and just about any media I use in it.

I like using the same program to burn CDs and DVDs. DVD Decrypter is slower.

IMHO Japanese DVD burners (except the Korean joint ventures) don't get consistant good results with other than Japanese media. Perhaps a testing bias, perhaps a design bias, perhaps a rigid interpretation of specifications.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You guys are in for a big surprise with the next version of ImgBurn. That's all I can say.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So what do you know that the rest doesn't?
    No DVD can withstand the power of DVDShrink along with AnyDVD!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Looks like ImgBurn may make using ImgTool classic a thing of the past.

Also it appears that you will be able to make a data DVD with ImgBurn.

At least that is what I got out of that link.

Of course it sounds as if this version of ImgBurn is still being worked on with no public beta version yet.

But that is exciting news!

Quote Quote  
  23. I'm always up for trying new software. But I must say that I have never had a bad burn, compatibility problems or any other issues using Nero (from version 6 or 7). I'll certainly try ImgBurn, but I still have no problems with Nero.
    Quote Quote